Ok. I'm looking to use some bass pedals and the distortion, chorus and limiter enhancer from boss all have caught my eye. My question is, how would you line them up? I'm thinking bass>limiter/enhancer>chorus(output b>clean head) output a>bass od/distortion>dirty head.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Last edited by drugfreeboy at Oct 10, 2011,
Ideas? Suggestions?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
What you mentioned should be the most obvious setup, yeah. Limiter first, then the other effects which are split.

Maybe keep the chorus and the distortion separate? Or did I misunderstand and it's your chorus pedal that has two outputs, and not a Y-adapter or something?
Professional lurker since 2009.
Right. The chorus has a a and b output.
I've tried all three of those, and have got the OD and the limiter enhancer. I didnt at all like the chorus, so beware of this and definitely try before you buy or, like me, the chorus may be going back a few hours after you get it, however YMMV.
On to the lineup, it's really a case of trial and error. I personally prefer my limiter enhancer BEFORE my distortion, however i tried it after and it still sounded okay. Also, if you do get the chorus (or any other modulation effects), they are generally put after distortion effects (hence why you sometimes get an FX loop).
A typical setup would be:
Tuner -> EQs/Filters -> Distortions -> Modulation effects -> Delays and reverbs.
That being said, you can get some interesting results by playing around with layouts. Just try it and see which gives you the nicest sound!
Hope this helps! .
but i was implying that the chorus would split the two heads one being clean and the other purely distored.
Try not to post "worry" posts 2 minutes after originally posting.

I assume a limiter/enhancer is a comp or is it a noise gate?

you just have to mix and match til you find a setup and setting you like.

IDK if you bought these, or from where, but if you haven't check out the used market. Boss has some great pedals but looking in the used market can find you some great buys for less. New pedals are criminally overpriced in my opinion.
Quote by askrere
I assume a limiter/enhancer is a comp or is it a noise gate?

It's more similar to a compressor, except it strictly limits the signal to a threshold and usually doesn't increase the volume of signal below that threshold.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Lol at thinking it was a "worry" post. Check the times again please. I have tried craigslist in my area and haven't used ebay in forever, but yeah trading shit in and cash on some.
Then what would the best way to use the effects so ths one head is clean while the other is dirty?
I would personally put the limiter after the distortion, but that is just me/
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
get a Morley ABY pedal. gives you head A and Head B or both. put the effects for each amp before and use for both before.

Edit: experiment, no one can tell you what sound you'll like just like the guy above me said
Last edited by askrere at Oct 12, 2011,