So, I have 2 friends that want to learn to play some instruments: one wants to learn the guitar, another drums. So I suggested they make some sort of a band, and I'm helping em out on a guitar.

1) Is this a good idea? To make a band for full beginners to learn to play quicker?

2) Is it possible to practice drums on a set of pillows? The drummer-wannabe(no pun) has no drum kit.

3) How can I make them be more motivated? The guitarist REALLY wants to play well, so I don't think there will be problems with him. But the drummer, I believe, doesn't want to put too much into it
It's only worth it if they're fun to be around

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly
It's only worth it if they're fun to be around

Yeah, it's fun, but I meant is it GOOD for THEM to start with a band right away?
Well it really depends on the type of people they are. If they are comfortable with ****ing up in front of each other (they are beginners after all, nothing shameful on that) then yeah, it's a good idea. If they attune each other they may play awesome when they get better.
Getting experience playing with other musicians (especially one with much more experience) early would be very beneficial. I don't have much experience in any actual band setting and I really should... Eh. Being a bedroom guitarist is a mixed blessing.

So, yeah, starting in a band early should help them develop a lot. Every single experience I've had (few as they are) playing with more experienced musicians, or any musicians, has had a noticeable positive affect on my attitude and playing.
You can't make someone motivated.

Honestly, if you want to hang out and play with those guys, just hang out and play with those guys. If the guitarist is more motivated, he'll be there more often, and he'll improve faster. To be honest, the guitarist will get more out of time spent with you than the drummer, who simply is going to need to put in the practice time on his own.
The band I jam with right now has had two bassists, both never really touching a bass before playing. The first one was unmotivated and never took his bass home and he would show up every once in a while. The second bassist is super motivated, bought his own bass, is super eager about playing, always down to jam, all that good stuff.

I guess I'd say it depends on if they have any prior music experience/are actually dedicated to being in a band, but playing with other people will almost always improve you faster than playing by yourself I think.
It depends what your goals are.

If you want this band to become super popular, gain a fanbase etc within the space of a year, no chance. It's not anyone's fault, just that there's no pre-existing skill set there. They're learning how to use their instruments at the same time as learning how to play with eachother.

If you just want this as a hang-out time with your mates, go for it.

I'd personally tell them to go elsewhere, but I'm going to assume you're nicer than me. I'd then advise to just keep these guys as jam buddies and have some other more serious band on the side.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No, not serious at all. This band is for them just to get better at playing, no concerts, just band repetitions to get better. That's as far as it goes, I do play in other serious-minded bands, this one is just for fun and them getting better
Quote by Zeletros
No, not serious at all. This band is for them just to get better at playing, no concerts, just band repetitions to get better. That's as far as it goes, I do play in other serious-minded bands, this one is just for fun and them getting better

Yeah, I think it's a good idea.