Hey, i got 9-42 gauge strings, and when i tune down to standard D strings feel way 2 loosey, buzzin alot with the fretboard.

I'd start with 10-46, but still, heard some ppl sayin that it was alrdy too tight for a strat liftin the trem up.

The guy from the store says that i shouldn't put on a strat nothing higher than 9-42 cos they'll crack the guitar.. ok i don't trust what he says so i'm askin u guys

So what gauge is ideal for a strat for being able to to tune it down and still havin a decent string tension. Or shall i just stick to 9s til i get another guitar cos it'd be too tight to play it on Standard E with 10s?

Greetings
I think strat is perfect with 10's in E standard o.o
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I'm running 10-52's on my Les Paul based LTD, which is a shorter scale length as far as I'm aware than you're Strat. I'm tuned to E flat Standard at the moment as well and i've had no problems, so with you're longer scale length and lower tuning I can't see you having any problems at all.
He sounds like he's talking shit; I've played a Strat with 12s on it and it was LUSH.

If you're going to D standard and you want the same sort of feel as 9-42s, go for the 10-46. 11s are a bit OTT on a Strat if you're used to 'standard' string gauges like the 9s.
RECTUM.

Quote by papershredder
Believe it or not, DT can be overlistened to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-DA4iggDD8

Quote by SmarterChild

Quote by tancanada
I know a girl who regularly orgasms in her sleep.

Ah, Rohypnol.
it's solely a matter of personal preference. 10's in E std are perfectly fine imo ^^ For me would be bigger problem 10's in D std, since i use 11's in E and Eb on my guitars (both 25.5" scale).

But on you place i wouldn't worry about it at all and just get a set of 10's.
i would just say to use what ever feels best for you, i constantly jump tunings and i constantly get different strings to see what suits me best. Basically what im trying to say is just figure out what you like not what everyone else likes(and i think that ur strings are small even for standard tuning)
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Hahahaha crack the neck my arse, been using an .11-.54 set for D standard and drop C for years and it sounds killer. Start with .10s for D tuning then go for 10-52 set if too loose, then use .11s if you'd still like more tension
Thanks for all those replies.
I ain't talking shit, i'm just a beginner and i've only used 9s and that mad tech is confusing me lol xD

I'll get some dean markley blue steels 10-46 I think i'll enjoy the thicker gauge ^^

Thanks again

PS: 3 springs will be enough for 10s right? i'm runnin 9s with two
Last edited by KBJAG at Oct 10, 2011,
3 should be fine, my strat handles the set i mentioned above with 3 so it'll handle 10-46s no probs
i have a schecter v and i have 2 springs im pretty sure and i have been in drop b and every tuning up to standard and was fine
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Quote by KBJAG
I'd start with 10-46, but still, heard some ppl sayin that it was alrdy too tight for a strat liftin the trem up.

The guy from the store says that i shouldn't put on a strat nothing higher than 9-42 cos they'll crack the guitar.. ok i don't trust what he says so i'm askin u guys

lolol

some guy called Stevie Ray Vaughan had .013s on his Strat.
Dick Dale states he is running something like 14 18 18 38 48 and 58/60 on his strats, although he does block the trem off. Remember, when Leo first designed those guitars, flatwound strings were the norm and they came in super thick sizes compared to the stuff you get nowadays.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Oct 10, 2011,
try 11-54s. im using them in standard they are fairly heavy but in D you should be fine.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.