View poll results: Which guitar?!
Fender PS '72
19 40%
Gibson SG
22 47%
OTHER! (explain in post)
6 13%
Voters: 47.
So I'm thinking it's time for me to get a new guitar. I have two picked out so far but I'm open to more options.

My price range is up to $800-$850. Anywhere below there works too obviously.
The style of music I like to play is mostly rock/punk kind of stuff.

So far I really like the Fender Pawn Shop '72 seen here and the Gibson SG Special Satin Ebony seen here.

Opinion and experience are greatly appreciated!
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
i played a PS72 literally 2 days ago at a friends house.

it was orgasmic.

but his had seymour duncan p90's in (no idea which ones) not humbuckers. but i was playing it unplugged anyway so not sure on how it'd have sounded through an amp.

he only had a marshall MG10CD anyway so i was happy i didn't play it through the amp.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
SG, cause I'm a sucker for SG's
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
They're both superb, neither one will disappoint. But try them both and decide if you prefer short scale vs. long scale, bolt-on vs. set neck, solid body vs. semi-hollow, 490/498 vs. Wide Range pickups, etc. It's apples to oranges, really.

I would probably go with the Fender, because I like its character and its slightly more complex sound. For high-gain stuff you may prefer the SG. It depends.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I had a '72 Thinline (the reissue) about a year back and I loved the crap out of it. They say the PS '72s are a bit better build quality. The only thing that turns me off about that one is the rosewood neck.

I also had a Epi SG-400 as one of my first electrics and I enjoyed it after I changed the pups. Not trying to compare it to that Gibson as far as quality because that is obvious, more from a comfort level. Excellent guitar if you sit down a lot but can give your arm a workout because it is quite top-heavy.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
When I consider a guitar I go by the design styles I prefer.
-Scale length
-PU types
-Neck type (ie bolt on, set neck or neck thru)
-Bridge Type (Fixed or tremolo & if tremolo floating or strat style)
-Fingerboard type
- Body style (slab or carved top, and cutaway)
-neck profile

If you know the answers to these Qs you can narrow down a list of guitars to ones you'll like after the intial period.
Moving on.....
I personally think that Fender PS guitar would be much better because of its decent quality control and amazing sound.
i would take the gibson. you can find faded SG's for ~$450 here on craigslist.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get the SG Special if you like how it feels/plays and get them used on eBay or CL for $450-500 with a case. I see a bunch on eBay at that range right now.

Then, hunt down a Squier '51, which came before the Fender PS model. You can snag one for ~$150-200. The neck is very comfortable.

2fer!

thanks for all the help guys! what exactly does the scale measure? what does it mean when one guitar has a shorter scale than the other? is it fret size?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Quote by JRib1216
thanks for all the help guys! what exactly does the scale measure? what does it mean when one guitar has a shorter scale than the other? is it fret size?

No it's the length of the strings from nut to bridge basically. A common Gibson scale is 24-3/4 inches (not exactly correct but close enough) while Fender has a 25-1/2 inch scale. PRS more commonly used 25 inches (in between Fender & Gibson)
Scale legnth affects how the notes sound and the tension on the strings.
Generally speaking shorter scale guitars note meld together in chords better and the strings are under less tension (tuned to relative pitch). Longer scale guitars have better note definition and greater string tension.
Moving on.....