Saw an ad for a JEM 7V for sale on Gumtree. Pictures were 'on request', so I requested them because it was listed for a lot less than it should have been and it made me suspicious. Just got this link back from the seller:

[Edited out, didn't work - pictures below]

The monkeygrip looks wrong to me. It's too big, too close to the edge and doesn't follow the curve of the scratch pad. The ad said it was Chinese, and the headstock says both 'Korea' and 'Team J-Craft', which I think are Japanese. And I'm pretty sure the serial number is based on the Fender pattern. I don't suppose there are any Korean built J-Craft JEMs with larger monkeygrips, are there? I've only just recently started to look at them so I'd like to be completely sure before reporting the seller.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 10, 2011,
i'm not clicking on some random link sent to you buy someone who's probably trying to scam you , but I'd say that if you think it sounds and looks like a fake, it probably is.

If it's a 7V, the serial number should start with an "F".

if you link the pics to here with tags, they might show up here and would save me from clicking the link.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not being scammed personally. It just made me suspicious so I wanted to check it out. It's just an image gallery, but I'll upload them. They're displaying on my screen. The serial number does start with an F but a serial search I found doesn't recognize it.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I'm not intending to I just didn't want someone getting scammed.

Actually now they're showing at full size it looks like the plastic is still on the pickups too which makes the price look even sillier.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 10, 2011,
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by DimebagZappa
Fake. J craft korea....

Yeah, the build quality seems rather low right there, I mean, are the individual recesses for each of the tuners on the bridge even the same size? And depth? The headstock looks too long too, and the edge of the monkey grip is far too thin...
Sorry mate!

Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Parts Built Mayer Strat
Blackstar HT-Dist, DL-4, Crybaby, Polytune
Blackstar HT20 Combo + matching 112 cab

I like John Mayer, deal with it.

Bassist: Last Minute Delay
Yeah..that grip looks wrong..

And Made in Korea isnt right..

Pickguard on this one has 17 screws..on ibanez its got 18...

I say fake..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I asked the seller where he got it from and pointed out the differences and he said:

"I know what you mean. These guitars were made for those that want the jem 7 look but for a fraction of the price. It's sounds great and looks the part for me. Thanks Anyway."

But he listed it as a JEM and it clearly infringes trademarks. And he's selling it on still. Sounds like there's more than one too.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Made In Korea J-craft...fake.
Decal looks cheap and dodgy.
JEMs have top-hat knobs.
Jem 7V doesnt have scalloped frets.
Just going by eyesight, but that nut looks incredibly poorly cut.

Could go on a bit. It's like a really dodgy mix between a shitty copy egen and a shitty copy JEM.
Yeah the more I look the more things I find wrong with it. He's reported. Thanks guys.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Real JEMs have them, yes. I haven't learned the differences between many bridges yet but I knew it was the wrong one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
^Edge is a floyd-rose licensed bridge. That one says Ibanez down the side, I'm not sure if that's right or not, but what I'm probably sure of is that Ibanez didn't make that bridge, and it'll be made of dead cheap metal.
They are yeah but that looks like the wrong shape to me anyway. And they wrote Ibanez on the tuners too. And the box.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Good lord

There's so much wrong with that!

The tuners, the back of the headstock... J-Craft Korea

The monkey grip is off, I agree. And the bridge looks like a cheap POS. Even the locking nut looks like it's made out of plastic.
Lol i can't stop laughing,

There is so much wrong with that guitar, apart from being fake it just looks like a terrible guitar.
+1 on the fact it's a fake
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?