I have had an acoustic for about 6 months (long enough to know I am serious about learning guitar) and now i have some money saved up and i want to purchase an electric guitar and an amp. My price limit is about 400 bucks for both. What would you suggest for a guitar and an amp? I've always heard Ibanez is probably the best bang for you buck for cheaper guitars. I only will need a practice sized amp as I don't play gigs or anything. I also have heard mixed reactions about buying the "starter kits" offered as the amps tend to be pretty bad. This is my first time ever posting on UG forums so i'm sorry if this is not located in the right category. Thanks!
For a starter amp, you really can't beat the Roland Microcube series. They're well under your price range, leaving some money left over for the guitar purchase. For the guitar, the Fender Squier series seem fairly decent. They're inexpensive, Mexican-made guitars, but the quality seems decent for what you get vs. what you pay. Don't forget you'll also need an instrument cable. With the extra money, you can buy some extra strings.
The vox vt series is the BEST starter amp imo. They have a lotta good starter features, I think the vt20 is like $160 new and the vt sounds phenomenal for a ss amp. That'd leave you with enough money to buy a used strat or epi or whatever. Def check out the vox vt!
I agree with the Microcube. Also, a Peavey Vyper might be a good option for you as well. Just avoid the Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs like the plague... What kind of music do you want to play? Any specific bands whose sound you like?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by KG6_Steven
For the guitar, the Fender Squier series seem fairly decent. They're inexpensive, Mexican-made guitars, but the quality seems decent for what you get vs. what you pay.
Squires are garbage. And they're not Mex made, they're Chinese. Fender's Mexican stuff is actually decent.

I would say going with a low-end Ibanez of some sort. Preferably the ART100, since it fits your budget.

And since you're a beginner, get a Line 6 Spider IV 15w. Easy to use, straightforward, and has plenty of distortion.Everyone here hates it because to an experienced player, it sounds like shit, but you won't be able to tell the difference between good tone and bad tone yet. For the same price, you can get the Peavey Vypyr 15w, which sounds a lot better, but it is very confusing and hard to use for a beginner. The Roland Micro Cube is good for a beginner, but costs more than both of those choices.

Hope this helped.

Quote by barden1069
Just avoid the Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs like the plague.

He's a beginner, he won't be able to tell the difference. The MGs are just as bad, but they cost more because of the name.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Oct 10, 2011,
I will be playing mainly classic rock and rock. I'm not into anything too heavy and I'm also not into anything too bluesy. I would also like to learn a few country songs here and there and also a little reggae like Sublime or Pepper. I like the sound of FF, Rise Against, Skynyrd, and things like that. I also like the sounds of RHCP and Boston but i know they kind of have their own unique sounds imo. I guess i just need something that is pretty good all around, because i listen to pretty much any kind of rock except metal.
also, I found a 25W Fender Frontman 25R for $75 used on craigslist. Is Fender any good at making amps?
Quote by bass_master94
also, I found a 25W Fender Frontman 25R for $75 used on craigslist. Is Fender any good at making amps?
Tube amps, yes. SS, not really.

They have a good modeler known as the Mustang, much better than the Frontman.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Squires are garbage. And they're not Mex made, they're Chinese. Fender's Mexican stuff is actually decent.

Classic Vibe Squiers are wayyy better than Mexican made guitars imo. I've tested them both side by side. Most demos on youtube and reviewers would agree. Anything in the the Squier Standard or below is pretty much crap though.
Quote by bass_master94

A fender would probly work out pretty well for the stuff you're playing. Unless you've had experience with a dozen different amps, the fender is gonna sound good. Its worth the $75. The only knock on fender ss amps is they aren't very versatile. If it fits for you(I'd guess it would, judging by the bands you listed), it'd be a good amp
from what you say, i would recommend a raven amp. people pizz on them a lot but there really really cheap and derable and get a pretty good rock sound. the guitar is up to you, i bought an rg370dx (Ibanez) and i still use it today. i got it for $300 and i still use it regularly. but it has a floating tremelo, which could be a pain in the a$$ for someone new to guitars. was for me anyway.
If i was you...

I would go for guitar Peavey rockmaster. i have one and there really good for the 50 dollars i paid for it. before everyone starts whizing all over me, i've got mine setup really nice so the action is really REALLY low.

Then amp, i would go probably vox vt. pretty cheap, and since your not playing at bars could be perfect for you!

we're at around $210 so far... and since you have about 400$ to spend why not buy some sweet stuff to go with your guitar and amp? why not... some AMP CORDS ROFL. just buy a couple $15 cords at guitar center bringing us up to around $250. and why i say buy a couple is...

Get a good compression pedal! this will help a ton, and i wish i had gotten one earlier. i have a FX80-B DOD compressor sustainer right now, and its always running through my rig when i have the gain knob farther than 1 1/2. makes it so you don't have to use as much gain to get that great lead sound your going want for that lynrd skynrd.

And this right here, is something you could consider but really wouldn't be necceasry, but i recommend it. Get a duncan jb to replace the crappy stock bridge pickup in the peavey. just give it to a local music store, (anyone but Guitar Center preferabley) and have them put it in for push pull spliting, so you can get a single coil tone.

And there you go! the cheapest, best rock/funk rig i can offer for that price range!
Guitar

Squier Bullet Strat. $ 120
- I wouldn't get a SSS model though, you probably won't be happy with the sound
- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-squier-bullet-strat-hh-with-tremolo-electric-guitar/h64299000001000

Amp

Roland Cube - $ 160
- very versatile, great sounding, especially for what they are, I'm picking one up
- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/roland-cube-20xl-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp/h68601000001000

New Pickups
GFS Crunchy Pats - $ 46
- Bridge and Neck Position
- http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-Pat-high-Output-Humbucker-WHITE-Coils-Bridge-Position_p_192.html
- http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-Pat-high-Output-Humbucker-WHITE-Coils-Neck-Position_p_193.html

That leaves you without about $50 after S&H. And about $20 to get your pickups installed, then you've got another $20 to spend on a chord, I'd get a 10' or a 20'. Up to you.

EDIT* I know this will be your first guitar, so make it special, put money into it. Not right away, but eventually, you should start changing out the hardware on the guitar, getting legit tuners, new bridge, etc etc. It'll really make it feel like its yours
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Last edited by BeastModeEngage at Oct 10, 2011,
Yeah your first electric guitar you will always be attached too. mine was a 1989 ( i think thats year) Peavey tracer custom. my dad bought it new before i was born and thats the first guitar i ever played and its always my favorite.
If you're willing to buy used, you can get some nicer gear. A Made-in-Mexico Fender Stratocaster goes for about $250-300 used on craigslist. I'd bring someone who knows about guitars to check it out though. And a decent practice amp (might come with a cable) off of craigslist would run you $50-100.
Quote by zidanetrance
If you're willing to buy used, you can get some nicer gear. A Made-in-Mexico Fender Stratocaster goes for about $250-300 used on craigslist. I'd bring someone who knows about guitars to check it out though. And a decent practice amp (might come with a cable) off of craigslist would run you $50-100.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Squires are garbage.

My MIJ SQUIER stratocaster and Classic vibe telecaster would like a word with you

Also i've owned a fender MIM telecaster in the past. CV kills it soundwise when there both stock. Nothing in t for build quality and the main deciding factor is the neck profile.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 11, 2011,
You could go peavey guitars from the 80's and 90's! i feel like a peavey ***** right now... but there guitars from back then where really cheap, and really good. and that parts that they skimmed out on are easily replacable. theyyy really skimmed out on the pickups. there terrible haha. but find a peavey destiny, tracer custom, tracer, or something. there all amazing....