I just started trying to learn how to sing and I want to be able to sing like the clean singers in scene bands like Attack Attack! and We Came As Romans.

I started trying to teach myself two days ago, and I think I'm coming along decently for that time. I'm just trying to learn the best way to make my muscles go in order to hit notes easier and stuff. But I want to know, how do I stop from having to strain and sing loud as **** to get those high notes? Here's an example of my singing (it's pretty terrible).

http://soundcloud.com/chadkirkwip/toplantaseedvocaltry

Is it just a range thing? Like, if I increase my range will I be able to hit higher notes in a more normal voice instead of having to go all out just to hit them?
Yes. Increasing your range will make it easier to hit the higher notes with less effort. If you have to push the air out, you're doing it wrong and will likely hurt your voice. There's something called resonance. It's effectively getting a lot of volume without being forceful. Certain notes will resonate in your body due to the shape and size of the vocal cavities. Learning how to adjust your body will affect this.
Oh and how come when I sing in a normal voice it's airy and not powerful and straight on? That's why I strained in the first place, to provide power.
Singing high notes properly - and quietly - is one of the most difficult things to do. The tendency is to let your entire voice mechanism "fall" in order to achieve a decrease in volume, which means you immediately start fighting yourself. Avoiding that is very difficult.

If your "natural" voice is airy and breathy, you're not doing it right. If you are pushing with your stomach, you are not doing it right. In fact, if you are pushing *at all*, then you are not doing it right.

Power comes from technique. My instructor always likened it to a golf swing, and the analogy works with remarkable consistency.

Take two golfers - one has technique and the other doesn't.

Golfer #1 with no technique gets up to the tee, and cranks the living sh!t out of the ball and sends it about 100 yards. Disappointed with his efforts, he cranks it even harder, falls flat on his face, and the results are no better. Why not? He knows he has to hit the ball, but he doesn't know *how* to do it *properly.*

Golfer #2 has excellent technique. He nonchalantly swings the club with one hand.... whoosh... TICK..... and the ball goes sailing over yonder about 225 yards.

The difference - technique, and knowing how to do it properly.

Now, to continue with the analogy.... if it is so easy for golfer #2 to one-hand the ball well over 225 yards, it takes concentration and effort to knock it only 100 yards. Otherwise, he over-shoots the mark and sends it a distance that is much further, yet a distance that he can achieve without even thinking about it.

I highly recommend some lessons to learn how to produce your voice properly. Sure, you can keep practicing, but just like golfer #1.... you'll keep practicing and cranking and falling on your face and cranking and practicing and after about a year, you'll swing the f**k out of the club, slip a disk in your spine, and still only hit the ball 125 yards.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Singing high notes properly - and quietly - is one of the most difficult things to do.

Oh this. So very very much. It is near impossible to not end up sounding like crap while trying to do that. at the same time high notes always sound "louder".

Also I get the impression you're not placing your voice right, nor using your breathing effectively. Those are the 2 biggest things you will need to get down FIRST before you can move on. As usual Axeman is very correct.

When you place your voice correctly, breathe correctly and project correctly, there will be NO strain on your voice. Straining your voice can lead to permanent damage.

I think this video is semi-decent for helping you find where to place your voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-J_fHrql2k

My teacher tells me to imagine the notes are "coming from my eyes", which while it works for me, may not work for everyone else. You have to learn your own body, but you want your voice in the mask of your face (generally there's a little vibration there too).

Anyway, you really need to build your foundation before you go stressing your voice out :/