Hi guys, I have a question:
I use guitar rig since a year now, I love how you can personalize the tone and everything.

When I first started using it I connected the guitar via pc soundcard and it sounded not so good: noise, low sensibility of the strings etc.
After I bought an "cheap/average" usb audio interface (this one ) and I could hear the big improvement, both in tone and sensitiviy.

Now I'm using it and I feel comfortable but I still feel the difference when I use a real amp: I'm not refering to the tone, I'm talking about SENSITIVITY of the strings/pickup/interface/whatever...
when I play in a real amp it sounds more clean and more "simple" in a certain way, like if I have to put less effort to "sound good".
When I'm using guitar rig I feel like I have to pick stronger or hammer-on with more power to make the note...

I don't know if it depends from the guitarrig set-up (but I don't think so, I tried every default tone, downloaded other and made mine and I feel the same), or the interface (maybe better interface would help?)...

What do you think about?
Quote by Armhan
Hi guys, I have a question:
I use guitar rig since a year now, I love how you can personalize the tone and everything.

When I first started using it I connected the guitar via pc soundcard and it sounded not so good: noise, low sensibility of the strings etc.
After I bought an "cheap/average" usb audio interface (this one ) and I could hear the big improvement, both in tone and sensitiviy.

Now I'm using it and I feel comfortable but I still feel the difference when I use a real amp: I'm not refering to the tone, I'm talking about SENSITIVITY of the strings/pickup/interface/whatever...
when I play in a real amp it sounds more clean and more "simple" in a certain way, like if I have to put less effort to "sound good".
When I'm using guitar rig I feel like I have to pick stronger or hammer-on with more power to make the note...

I don't know if it depends from the guitarrig set-up (but I don't think so, I tried every default tone, downloaded other and made mine and I feel the same), or the interface (maybe better interface would help?)...

What do you think about?

It's an unfortunate side-effect of not physically playing through a large, powerful amp designed to accentuate key features of a guitar's tone - you can spend as much as you like on an interface and it won't change anything noticeably (I use an Apogee Duet at home - probably one of, if not the, best two-channel interfaces money can buy; and only other time I've tracked DI guitars this way was into a Focusrite ISA preamp, with Lynx Aurora converters, and had the same results).

The only thing that I've found makes a difference is the amp sim, but I'm still yet to find anything that feels the same and I doubt it is actually possible because of the differences involved. See the other thread about advantages/disadvantages of reamping/recording guitar tracks for my explanation of what I believe to be the differences, because I can't be bothered writing them again only a few minutes later
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
the interface is paramount in that it is responsible for the conversion, which is the number 1 thing dividing analog and digital
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I was going to get that interface as a cheap solution after my Line6 GX broke, but I decided otherwise to get a more professional interface. I think you could probably get something better than the guitar link, but anything is better than using your soundcard's inputs.

I know what you mean about hearing a big quality jump when switching from soundcard inputs to an interface, but the interface you got is only 20 bucks, and is very likely made with cheap hardware.

You must also realize that digital rigs are different from tube amps. They are simulated via coding that modifies the signal digitally. It's all math equations that change your sound in a computer rig. You won't get the exact sound of an amp in real life, but that doesn't mean you can't get a great tone out of your computer.

If it's hard to do hammer ons and such, then use a bit of compression to boost your signal.
Thanks for the answers...
yes, guitar-link is cheap, but I don't know what audio interface is good and what is bad, never interested too much (until i get guitar-rig), any advice?

I use this site to buy guitar stuff (sorry, it's in italian), can you locate some interesting (not too expansive) good interface I should check?

Thanks
Thanks... maybe that is too much for me (right now).
I'm searching for some decent but not too advanced thing...

I was going to get that interface as a cheap solution after my Line6 GX broke, but I decided otherwise to get a more professional interface.
Do you mean this one ?
would you suggest me to buy it, or to search sometingh better?

Maybe in the 100$ zone...
I don't know what to pick among the one I linked before (and I don't trust the site reviews).
I highly reccomend the presonus Audiobox, it's got some really nice pre-amps in it for the price.

i was using my M-audio fast track and getting really crappy, tinny, thin sound. I added a presonus tubepre between the mic and the interface, and it REALLY brought the tone alive.

The M-audio's pre-amps where garbage, causing my thin sound. With the presonus pre-amps, my tone inproved tremendously.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
If it's just for guitar....don't waste your money. The Guitar Link is fine if you're just doing guitar, I very much doubt you'd ever be able to tell a difference if you bought a more expensive model. I use a debranded Guitar Link (it cost about £8 on ebay and is identical apart from the lack of a Behringer logo - it even comes with the Behringer drivers!) and the sound quality is more than sufficient for a home/hobby studio.

Mic interfaces are a different story though, naturally...

EDIT: Spend your money on Revalver III instead. You'll notice a HUGE difference in sensitivity, it plays much more like a real amp. There's a free, completely unlimited demo here: http://www.peavey.com/products/software/ReValver/

Guitar Rig is tons of fun, but it's the least realistic sounding of the major amp sims.
Last edited by kyle62 at Oct 17, 2011,