Page 1 of 3
hey guys

I'm trying to get more into the band "Dream Theater"(they are fairly popular), but they have so many albums(11 is a lot by my standards), I don't know where to start. I have listened to Train of Thought.

recommend their best albums/songs.
Images and Turds is the way to go.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

None, Dream Theatre is overrated. Switching time signatures randomly doesn't impress me.
you're a stone fox
Could you guys recommend separate songs???

I'm just trying to find out what the band is "all about" if you follow me.
Depends on how much you enjoyed Train of Thought. If you liked it a lot then listen to Systematic Chaos. If you thought it was just okay then listen to... anything else, really. Except Falling into Infinity, because that's shit.
Quote by Saint78
None, Dream Theatre is overrated. Switching time signatures randomly doesn't impress me.

Good thing they aren't trying to impress you then.

I just started from the start, listened to the whole discography from start to finish over the course of about two weeks.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Jackintehbox
Depends on how much you enjoyed Train of Thought. If you liked it a lot then listen to Systematic Chaos. If you thought it was just okay then listen to... anything else, really. Except Falling into Infinity, because that's shit.

I love Train of Thought.

It had a good mix of melody and heaviness(I know these terms aren't "politically correct")
Train of Thought is my personal Favorite. I'm not their biggest fan, but I've heard some of their stuff.

Some of their best songs are:Metropolis Pt. 1, A Nightmare to Remember, Octavarium (The first 12 or so minutes aren't the greatest, but definitely worth listening to) The Glass Prison, Ytse Jam, The Killing Hand,Lie (one of their best), Under a glass Moon,

Some of my favorite albums are:

Train of Thought
You said you already heard this one, so you know what it sounds like.

Images and words
Not their heaviest work, but great songwriting and great sound.

When Dream and Day Unite
Pretty soft, but pretty Epic.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Heavy, Epic, and some awesome songs

I haven't really listened to a lot of their other stuff. I'm really interested to see what other people have to say.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by Kamikaze1014
I love Train of Thought.

It had a good mix of melody and heaviness(I know these terms aren't "politically correct")

If you want "heavy" Dream Theater than proceed to Systematic Chaos next.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Go for Pull Me Under and Fatal Tragedy if you want individual songs. And Dance of Eternity.
Language is the heart's lament, a weak attempt to circumvent the loneliness inherent in the search for permanence.
If you're only looking for certain songs to listen to, pick up their Greatest Hit (and 21 other pretty good songs).
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I like in the presence of enemies part 1 and 2. Typical dream theater.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Check out the album Awake. Songs; Lie, The Mirror, Lifting Shadows of a Dream, Scared
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by palm mute
If you want "heavy" Dream Theater than proceed to Systematic Chaos next.

aha so they have different sides of them or something

okay

I will listen to Systematic Chaos then!
Quote by Koshman32
If you're only looking for certain songs to listen to, pick up their Greatest Hit (and 21 other pretty good songs).

This might be a good idea for me.

I'm heading to the CD store Friday. They have a large collection of DT stuff, and they will probably have this.

PS thanks for the links guys
Oh, and Don't forget A Change of Seasons. That kills Octavarium.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
^ forgot about that one, Change of Seasons is actually pretty good in spots, not worth a 23 minute song in my opinion though.
Quote by Kamikaze1014
aha so they have different sides of them or something

okay

I will listen to Systematic Chaos then!

If you aren't used to prog you won't like alot of their material, they only have a few albums that are geared towards being heavier.

Awake and Images and Words are 90's heavy.
Train of Thought is probably the heaviest (sounds like they want to be in Metallica if you ask me, see "As I Am").
Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are newer heavy.

If you like prog then check out Octavarium, Six Degrees, or Scenes.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Oct 10, 2011,
Go here http://grooveshark.com/#/

You can listen to everything they've done for free.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by palm mute
^ forgot about that one, Change of Seasons is actually pretty good in spots, not worth a 23 minute song in my opinion though.

If you aren't used to prog you won't like alot of their material, they only have a few albums that are geared towards being heavier.

Awake and Images and Words are 90's heavy.
Train of Thought is probably the heaviest (sounds like they want to be in Metallica if you ask me, see "As I Am").
Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are newer heavy.

If you like prog then check out Octavarium, Six Degrees, or Scenes.

Images and Words isn't heavy even for the 90s. Awake is heavy, but it keeps it very progressive.
Train of Thought is pretty gay.

Stick to the stuff they wrote before Jordan Rudess joined the band.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by NothingRocks
Images and Words isn't heavy even for the 90s. Awake is heavy, but it keeps it very progressive.

Heavy in spots Under a Glass Moon and Metropolis are heavy.

I meant 90's heavy as when they do get heavy on those albums, it is a 90's heavy and not the same kind of heavy as he has heard on Train of Thought.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by HelpTravesty

Jordan Rudess joined the band to record Scenes from a Memory with them. Therefore your opinion is invalid.
Quote by HelpTravesty

Why is there so much Rudess hate? He's not bad at all.
Listening to a bit of Black Clouds.

Yeah, I guess I was looking for something similar to Train of Thought. They have a lot of different sounds going on, and this confused me as to what to listen to.
Quote by Apples on Cacti

So much Rudess hate? I almost never see Rudess hate. He's one of the best parts of the band.
Quote by NothingRocks
Jordan Rudess joined the band to record Scenes from a Memory with them. Therefore your opinion is invalid.

Wait, how does this invalidate my opinion? Are you even in the position to invalidate my opinion? No, you are not. So suck it.
Quote by Apples on Cacti

He belongs in dragonforce, not DT.
last.fm[/url}
Last edited by HelpTravesty at Oct 10, 2011,
The Count of Tuscany is a good song that covers most of what they do in their modern sound.
Quote by HelpTravesty

Well, I'm bi so it's all good.
Page 1 of 3