Hey yall, im now waiting on my axe fx II. Im curious as to how most of you guys that own an axefx (standard, ultra or II) run them for practice, rehersal or home use.

Im thinking that maybe i will run it through my Mode 4 head into my MF280 cab. Im gonna try putting it through the return section of the loop to utilize just the poweramp section of the head and see how it goes.

I have reaad a lot about people arguing over which power amp is better (tube or SS) for these units.

The general feeling is that Tube power amps can add colouring to the saound where as SS poweramps just take the axefx preamp and make it loud without altering the sound.

Any thought from pplz that are using them at mo??
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Depends really.

I currently have an ultra I'm borrowing, as well as an eleven rack. I run them into different rigs at the moment: into Art SLA2, Carvin TS100, and the poweramp of my JSX.

They all sound a bit different, and the art and carvin are pretty neutral sounding. The JSX makes it brighter. If I have a gig that doesn't have a decent pa, or is in a small location, I use the JSX route.

If I want to use my cab as a monitor in a larger place, I use the carvin or SLA, and then run xlr's to the board. This is so I get the same tone from the foh pa that I do through my cab. I have different banks of patches setup for different output options: A set of four for using tube poweramps, a set for FRFR, and a set for the neutral sounding SS/tube poweramps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Depends on who makes the power amp and what purpose they were made for. Yes there will be some coloration from the type of tube but it can probably overcome using the AxeFx itself.
Atomic Amps uses tubes and was specifically created for the system.

Either T or SS aren't going to make the system unusable.
yeah i think im just gonna try and set it up with my MF350 head and see how it sounds. I really love my MF280 cab and i run my 5150 through it currently. It just seems to sound more ballsy than any other cabs i have used.

Hopefully the MF350 head sounds good with axe cause after i also buy a midi floor controller, i dont wanna have to shell out for a decent poweramp.

its all bout $$$......... where does it end!!!! lol
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.