I was at guitar center today playing a mesa boogie dual rectifier roadster 2x12. I was really liking the tone but i was wondering what the differences are between this and the regular dual rectifier head. I know they have a roadster head as well and that is 4 channels and the regular is 3 channel but what are the channel differences? Im debating getting this 2x12 instead of the head and 4x12 cab. Im not really sure how a 2x12 and a 4x12 compare in terms of tone and power. Im not too worried about it live because it will just go into the PA but is the tone going to be a lot different?
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
I believe the main difference between the two is that the Roadster is more versatile. It has 4 channels with the first two being dedicated for cleans and low gain. It also can take EL34s out of gate (Dual Rec may actually be able to do that too). The Roadster is basically a stripped down Road King so if you need the added versatility - the Roadster may be a good option.

Combo's, particularly high gain 212 combos are a bitch to haul around. The reason for this is because high gain amps usually have massive power transformers and output transformers not to mention the 2 speakers. Therefore - I personally am in favor of a head and a 212 cab. Easier to carry, easier to sell, easier to troubleshoot, easier to upgrade, etc.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 10, 2011,
You're probably right on the transporting it. It puts me at about the same price to buy the standard 3 channel head and a 2x12 cab. If i were to buy a head i would use it with a 4x12 more than likely. I guess i dont really care either way. Its 6 of one, half dozen of another. I guess my next move is to try the 4x12 and see if the difference in tone or volume is enough to sway me.

Thanks for the response.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
I'm running a Roadster head into an Orange PPC212 and I personally love it. The 2x12 isn't the heaviest but it's not light. Personally the low end response of the 4x12 doesn't make up for how much more it weighs. The way I see it, while I'm still playing clubs, I think the 4x12 would be overkill. Also, on the Craigslist here I see multiple ads a month about wanting to trade Mesa/Orange 4x12s for 2x12s. No extra cash. For some people it's just an unnecessary hassle.

That's just my $.02. Hope it helps.
Ben
Yeah Ippon my Orange is great. Goes with both my Mesa and my Rocker 30 beautifully. Wonderful cabs

However, I remember reading somewhere that the Roadsters are voiced to be like the older 2 channel dual recs. I'm not entirely sure, I'd appreciate if someone could elaborate on that or just tell me that I'm insane.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
I'm running a Roadster head into an Orange PPC212 and I personally love it. The 2x12 isn't the heaviest but it's not light. Personally the low end response of the 4x12 doesn't make up for how much more it weighs. The way I see it, while I'm still playing clubs, I think the 4x12 would be overkill. Also, on the Craigslist here I see multiple ads a month about wanting to trade Mesa/Orange 4x12s for 2x12s. No extra cash. For some people it's just an unnecessary hassle.

That's just my $.02. Hope it helps.

I agree with you to an extent about the Orange 412's. They're unbelievably heavy to lug around, although to be honest at the end of the day I absolutely love the tone I'm getting through the thing. I didn't try out an Orange 212 so I couldn't vouch for how one of those sounds, since I picked this up used for an absolute steal.

I used to have a Bugera 6262 212 combo, and that easily weighs more than a 412 cab alone. It was the most awkward thing to transport since it has one top handle and was quite wide, and I've heard that Mesa combos are built like tanks so I would imagine them being even heavier again.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Thanks for the responses guys. Ive been thinking about it and researching most of last night. I listened to an A/B comparison of the roadster and the 3 channel dual rect. Channel 2/3 on the dual rect is pretty much parallel to channel 3 on the roadster, however i really didn't care for the tone of channel 4 on the roadster. So Essentially the roadster leaves me with two clean(ish) channels (which ill only use one of) and only one high gain channel that i will use. It would seem that the dual rect might be better suited to me since i would probably use channel 1 for cleans, channel 3 for my main high gain tone and then channel 2 for some oddball stuff.

I guess the only reason i was considering the combo is because i thought it would be easier to transport or maybe because it was right in front of me and i was trying to convince myself that it would do the job.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
personally i like the cleans in the roadster more than the solo head. but thats just from playing in a shop so take it with a grain of salt
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo