Can anyone offer suggestions for getting better at playing and singing at the same time? I have been playing guitar for about 17 years, but I have never really tried to play and sing at the same time...not at a performance level anyway. Any tips?
Start by playing songs with easy straight up strumming. That takes little effort for the brain to process both the singing and playing guitar. Over time, try playing songs with maybe different strumming patterns and then move to more intricate parts.
Quote by xSOHx
Start by playing songs with easy straight up strumming. That takes little effort for the brain to process both the singing and playing guitar. Over time, try playing songs with maybe different strumming patterns and then move to more intricate parts.

This pretty much. What worked for me is i made sure i could play and sing the song perfectly (for the singing, mainly know the words and timings instead of pitch-perfect) and then when putting them together, starting off slow and speeding up. I couldnt play and sing at the same time at all before but now, i can play Master of Puppets all downpicked and with vocals
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
What would be a good song to start out practising on? I have been practising nirvana songs but it gets boring after a while.
Its very tough to play and sing at same time. But you can to both the thing by practicing it everyday. You will improve yourself within few days if you have good grip over the instruments.