Don't you think that between Korea, China and Indonesia, good copies of guitars and bass guitars are being turned out.

I don't doubt that, when you consider how much electronic equipment is made in China, the electrics of the guitar should be reasonably competent. The woods and stuff, put together as well as a mass produce line can be.

The final finish and setup will lack the skill of traditional US guitars.

But a traditional US guitar or other prestige model will surely cost 1,500 gbp or more ($2,000 or more)

And top brands like Gibson, Fender, Ibanez now produce guitars in above mentioned countries.

So maybe there are certain basic designs with different companies logos applied.

So we probably shouldn't shun these Asian guitars but seek some way of knowing which are the better ones and which ones to avoid.
Guess what? Everybody else figured this shit out in 1997. That’s why we all play guitars made in Korea, Mexico, China, and Indonesia.
Either way, the American made guitars are still well worth the extra money
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by ac/dcfan5000
Either way, the American made guitars are still well worth the extra money

Agreed.

There's a huge difference between commodity and low-volume items. Manufacturing demands different standards for both, even though they might conform to the same overall dimensions and tolerances.

Craftsmanship is generally best when hand-made by professionals. Today, most guitars are CNC'd. Prime materials generally go to top-tier guitars and commodity slabs go to mass-production shops. It's really simple.

The massive quality difference is in the manual portion of the work. Quality vs quantity. All other variables aside, a top tier guitar is simply going to have much more attention to detail during fretting, the leveling/polishing stage, and initial setup. Extra care during those steps makes a huge difference.

There are gauges used to show that frets are in the proper position relative to the nut. Have you ever seen the tolerance given on those gauges in a commodity high-volume shop? Compared to the measurement method used in custom shops, they give a mile... I'm not saying it's all in the neck, but that's just one example...
Thanks for the replies

If that's a CNC wood router (which I have just looked up) thanks for educating me

I would think that the closer tolerances adhered to in expensive guitars, might show most for those requiring a low action guitar, with maybe a higher action hiding some of the imperfections

I would also agree that anyone who spends over $2,000 on a good guitar will ultimately find he has spent his money well

However, as jpnyc suggests, there will still be guys looking for a guitar, made in Asia, for say $200 to $400

So maybe a useful question is how to get something reasonably worthy in that range instead of being ripped off with something inferior? Or should you look for a big name logo or the logo of the original Korean maker?

Regards
ynys
It's certainly possible for les expensive guitars to play fine. Tuning stability and sound though can suffer if cheap knock-off hardware is used too much (eg Floyd Rose). Also note that some less expensive models may not condition their wood as much and the guitar may suffer issues later on because of this. I can't speak to prices in other countries but here in Canada $300+ get's you a basic guitar, $500+ get's you into better still and over $1000 for semi-pro level instruments and up.
Moving on.....
um... this thread kinda confuses me as to the point. can decent guitars be made in asia that aren't as expensive as an american one, well yeah no secret there.

now there is a big difference between say a chinese "clone" guitar (ie knockoff) and say an epiphone. the epi isn't a copy but rather a different version of the guitar made to a certain price point. they are stilled designed and spec'd by the original company and manufactured overseas.

so anyways what is the point of this thread?
Well guess its about obtaining a guitar of decent quality whilst maximizing 'bang for buck' through possibly abandoning certain prejudices and I'm sorry if it is not terribly original - nothing new under the sun eh?

Back to Epiphone (or Washburn say), are u sure they haven't stuck their logo on some dogs?
Or that some of the same guitars aren't going out with a different manufacturers logo for a different price?
if you're looking for a good guitar thats overseas look no further than agile.

I agree though about quality. Why do you think so many of those companies faced lawsuits in the 80's? Why do you think a lot of people covet Fender guitars from Japan?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Some Asian factorys turn out some really nice inexpensive guitars. I have a Squier Tele that I would put up aganst any USA Fender <$1000 and I bet the ash body is as good if not better than them also.

But they don't have the QC of a USA or Japan company as a whole.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ynys
Well guess its about obtaining a guitar of decent quality whilst maximizing 'bang for buck' through possibly abandoning certain prejudices and I'm sorry if it is not terribly original - nothing new under the sun eh?

Back to Epiphone (or Washburn say), are u sure they haven't stuck their logo on some dogs?
Or that some of the same guitars aren't going out with a different manufacturers logo for a different price?

dude all guitar makers that mass produce guitars have stuck their name on at least a few dogs so again what's the point? is it possible that the same guitar is branded for different companies, sure it's always possible but not really likely once you get past the lower end models. Epiphone has their own factory in china so i'd think that they'd have to keep a fairly tight reign on what goes out the door as i'm sure gibson would not like it at all if they were doing what you suggest. the practice you suggest has been going on forever with non name brand stuff.

the prejudices you mentioned aren't exactly baseless. ever play a japanese made guitar from the 60s? total crap. how bout some of the late 70s korean ones? not as crappy but still subpar. point is that when these counties started to make guitars they were more often than not really low end and crappy. as time goes by they get better but many still remember the early ones were garbage so the reputation sticks.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
if you're looking for a good guitar thats overseas look no further than agile.

I agree though about quality. Why do you think so many of those companies faced lawsuits in the 80's? Why do you think a lot of people covet Fender guitars from Japan?

Agile are alright guitars, but having played them, I've never understood the bandwagoning people do claiming them to be superior to instruments ten times the cost. They're not bad, and all is in the eye of the beholder, but the ones I've played were about average, I've never really played one that made me go "Wow, this is better than most guitars I've played!"

Personally, for Korean copies, I like Dillion Guitars. I own three or four, and they've all been very nice instruments, to the point I prefer my tele to a lot of nice Fenders I've played. Like any overseas brand though, remember that Sturgeon's Law applies; play through as many as you can, find the diamond in the rough.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 12, 2011,