I have an egnater tweaker combo. Whenever i turn the gain and volume really high it always gets a loud hum and theres always feedback unless I turn off the guitars volume. Is this typical or could something be wrong with my tubes?

Also at high gain i can always distinctivly hear my pick attack. I would think its something im doing but on my friends guitars and amps i never hear it. So what could be causeing that?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
I have an egnater tweaker combo. Whenever i turn the gain and volume really high it always gets a loud hum and theres always feedback unless I turn off the guitars volume. Is this typical or could something be wrong with my tubes?

Also at high gain i can always distinctivly hear my pick attack. I would think its something im doing but on my friends guitars and amps i never hear it. So what could be causeing that?

What do u have the volume and gain set at??
Quote by mmjohn
What do u have the volume and gain set at??

the buzzing starts anywhere when the gain is about 12 o'clock and the volume is at 9 o'clock. After that it just gets louder.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sounds like an overly microphonic preamp tube or a cheap preamp tube or both.

buy a couple of preamp tubes and mess around with them.

I highly recommend a JJ or JAN Phillips 5751

Would this be a good set?
http://analogtubes.com/tubeshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_250_251&products_id=2227
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sounds like an overly microphonic preamp tube or a cheap preamp tube or both.

buy a couple of preamp tubes and mess around with them.

I highly recommend a JJ or JAN Phillips 5751

Are you recommending because of quality? Because those two tubes would yield much different results, especially if he turns the gain all of the way up.
Quote by -Kr0n1c-

You don't have to buy an entire set. Go to tubedepot.com, you could just buy a couple 12ax7 preamp tubes (which sound like they are creating the issue).

If you want to replace the power amp tubes, you don't have to buy 6v6s. 2 6l6 or EL34 tubes would make the amp sound bigger.

Many swear by JJ tubes, but they are very dark sounding. And the egnater is dark enough already. Sovtek and Electro Harmonix are fine and I actually much prefer them to JJs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Are you recommending because of quality? Because those two tubes would yield much different results, especially if he turns the gain all of the way up.

the TS didn't say "all the way up". he said "up" and later qualified that as noon. why do you always look to say that 311 is wrong? he never is.

TS - a jan 5751 is still a high gain tube and can be a bit quieter than most 12ax7s.

so it's kinda like the perfect recommendation for the issue at hand.

the stock sovtech preamp tubes suck balls, changing them made it a completely clearer amp. maybe leave a sovetech in the PI (V3), if you are short on cash.

i've not had a "jjs darken up the amp" experience, ever. that said they aren't my favorite 12ax7 but they do the job nicely for most people.

the gain on that amp sounded best between 1 and 3, no matter what high gain tube was in it. we tried a few.

so i'd also recommend trying a jan 5751 and a jj12ax7 (or an EH 12ax7). i had some good results with a EH12ax7 in V2 and a JAN 5751 in V1 but that may be my warped taste. most people prefer the JJs over the EH tubes.

also, a set of EL34s will make the amp sound bigger. it will add some lows that the stock 6V6s lack. the 6v6s are more "focused" for lack of a better word, the EL34s are very midrangy, but have some nice lows and highs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 11, 2011,
I have a jj in v1 but I agree with trying out different tubes in different slots....it's time to pick up some 12ax7's, and a 5751 and tweak away...
Quote by patriotplayer90

Yes. For quality. The TS didn't state that his amp seemed overly dark or bright. I was just saying get a couple different kinds and experiment. Those just happen to be my two favorite. Honestly, I was just giving the guy a bump because no one else seemed to be able to produce an answer.

Greg - Thanks but I'm not always right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Greg - Thanks but I'm not always right.

shut up dumb dumb.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
shut up dumb dumb.

Quote by gregs1020
shut up dumb dumb.

now, dumb dumb, do you have any gum gum, dumb dumb?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by gregs1020
the TS didn't say "all the way up". he said "up" and later qualified that as noon. why do you always look to say that 311 is wrong? he never is.

TS - a jan 5751 is still a high gain tube and can be a bit quieter than most 12ax7s.

so it's kinda like the perfect recommendation for the issue at hand.

the stock sovtech preamp tubes suck balls, changing them made it a completely clearer amp. maybe leave a sovetech in the PI (V3), if you are short on cash.

i've not had a "jjs darken up the amp" experience, ever. that said they aren't my favorite 12ax7 but they do the job nicely for most people.

the gain on that amp sounded best between 1 and 3, no matter what high gain tube was in it. we tried a few.

so i'd also recommend trying a jan 5751 and a jj12ax7 (or an EH 12ax7). i had some good results with a EH12ax7 in V2 and a JAN 5751 in V1 but that may be my warped taste. most people prefer the JJs over the EH tubes.

also, a set of EL34s will make the amp sound bigger. it will add some lows that the stock 6V6s lack. the 6v6s are more "focused" for lack of a better word, the EL34s are very midrangy, but have some nice lows and highs.

It was merely a question. I assumed the ts was not that familiar with tubes. The US JAN is 3 times the price of a JJ, as well as being a 5751 tube. I was merely seeking his input as to why he narrowed it down to those, not condescendingly, just curiously.

I never said he plays only with the gain all the way up (though he does mention turning the gain really high in the beginning). I was just saying he would notice a difference if he were to . And 311 never stated that a JJ and JAN would sound exactly the same. I fail to see how I was trying to prove him wrong. My comment about the JJ tubes being dark was a response to a link provided by the TS, not to 311, in which I was just including my personal experiences with the amp and tube.

You claim that I am trying to prove someone else wrong in the same paragraph in which you are trying to prove me wrong (which was a poor attempt tbh and just pointed out your lack of attention to detail). Maybe you should take a look in the mirror to see who the real condescending one is, you hypocrite.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!