I searched Google and the forums here but didn't find what I was looking for.

I changed the strings on my bass the other night and noticed when I play an open A now, it sounds like the truss rod is rattling. IWhen I knock on the middle of the back of the neck there is also a small rattle. I don't know if it was doing it before or not. I didn't notice it.

Is this a major problem? Will this get worse? Should I return it?
It could be all sorts of things. Did you change the gauge of the strings?

If you're not sure, take it to a shop rather than risk ruining it. There's nothing difficult about setting up a Bass but you need patience and a bit of confidence. If you have to take it to a shop ask if you can watch and learn as they work on it.
The strings that came on it were .45 .65 .80 .100 roundwounds and I put .45 .65 .80 .100 flatwounds on it. And i'm pretty sure it's coming from center of the neck, not the bridge or the tuners.
Flatwounds can have higher tension than the same gauge roundwounds. It could very well be that your truss rod needs adjusting to cope.
Probably not. I'd need to be able to get my hands on it to be of any real help. You really are best off taking it to a shop. If you do, let us know what the problem was, please.
I tried giving the truss rod a slight turn, still rattles. Since it only rattles when the A string is open, no other string, and not when it is fretted(anywhere) could it be the string? Sorry if thats a dumb question.
Sounds like you've strung it wrong, can you take a picture of the headstock for us?

Also it's a good idea to do a set up every time you make a big change like rounds to flats
It is strung right. I did, however, find the rattling seems to be coming from the nut. When I dampen the A string right on the nut, no rattle. Possibly the space is slightly large or uneven? My solution was to cut a tiny piece of paper and place under the string in the slot and no more rattle!(very temporary) I will have to figure out a more permanent solution, but for now I can play my new bass without fearing major problems. (I was major bummed at the thought of something wrong with the truss rod)

Anybody else had this issue? Solutions or suggestions?
I searched for this problem and found it is quite common. And paper seems to be the widespread easy fix. Other than that, filing the nut slot so it angles down towards the tuning peg(giving an exact edge for the string facing the fretboard) or having the slot filled and refiled or getting a new nut are the options.

Thanks to all who posted. Maybe this will help someone else.
Weird my jazz has the same problem on the A after putting flats on. I'd never notice when playing louder than bedroom level or with people. I always thought it was a loose tuner though.
Quote by glennick
It is strung right. I did, however, find the rattling seems to be coming from the nut. When I dampen the A string right on the nut, no rattle.

How many wraps of string did you put on the tuning peg? If you have a non angled headstock it may be not enough wraps to push the string down onto the nut properly.

You could try paper in the nut.
The string wraps around 3 times. And I did put a small piece of paper under the string and it doesn't rattle(and cannot be seen)
Quote by xSOHx
I'd say check the bridge first

This, I've had this problem A LOT and it is very frustrating. I fiddled around enough to find out if you mess around with the action(lowering/raising the saddles of the bridge) it eventually stopped buzzing, usually the saddle will be raised higher/lower on one side. try it out. it works
Paper in the nut dawg

Oh, or it could be some screw is loose at the headstock or the bridge or something. Play and start randomly holding shit down with your free hand. When it stops rattling, you found the culprit. Tighten it
Quote by glennick
It is strung right. I did, however, find the rattling seems to be coming from the nut. When I dampen the A string right on the nut, no rattle. Possibly the space is slightly large or uneven? My solution was to cut a tiny piece of paper and place under the string in the slot and no more rattle!(very temporary) I will have to figure out a more permanent solution, but for now I can play my new bass without fearing major problems. (I was major bummed at the thought of something wrong with the truss rod)

Already found problem. Thanks tho
if it's just the open notes check the nut and first fret height
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E