Hello UG, so my birthday is coming up soon (Oct. 18) and I decided to treat myself to a boutique overdrive pedal. As of late, I've mostly been relying on a booster pedal (BYOC triboost) to use the amp's natural overdrive, but I wanted to treat myself to something fancy, so I've been looking at the following... suggestions/comments? Because this is a gift from myself to myself, I've decided to budget myself generously <$400

I'll be playing a S-S-S Strat or Sheraton II (w/ dual Phat Cats) into a Vox AC15 C1. I want something that plays well into an AC15 and that can stack well with other boosts and overdrives, I would even consider getting 2 of these if I can get them used. I mostly play blues and classic rock and just want a slightly gritty overdriven sound that can get beastly with the volume control on the guitar (or my triboost). It'd be ideal if the pedal can enhance the dirty chime of the amp and/or give more chugga-chugga low end to my P90s/single-coils... yah...

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret (MKII version vs. normal version?)
Analogman's King of Tone (a guy is selling one on CL for $320... I've heard the wait is 2 years?)
Ibanez handwired TS808 (or the non-handwired version?)
Fulltone Fulldrive2 MOSFET
Lovepedal Eternity or Kalamazoo
Tim or Timmy drive
Hotcakes drive

any reviews from someone with experience with these pedals is greatly appreciated =) thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
There's no real advantage getting a TS-808 except for looks. You can mod a TS-9 into a TS-808 by changing two resistors. I wouldn't go for one anyway with an AC15. The last thing you want with an AC15 is something that chops out your bass. It'll just turn it into an electric tin can. You could mod more bass into them though. Everybody and their dog can tell you how to do that. Just go into the pedalboard thread.

The Fulltone sounds like a plan to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My friends's younger brother's rig is a Les Paul traditional--fulltone OCD--Vox AC15. He is young and can barely play, but it sounds pretty bad a$$
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Thanks Cathbard! I always see that your comments are some of the most knowledgeable and experienced, and so your input is priceless.... I see you're well aware of the AC15's lack of bass haha. I completely forgot that the TS9 can be easily modded to TS808 specs, so I'll probably take that route (as soon as I can find one on CL for cheap... might even order the kit from BYOC as it comes with "more bass" switch and boost circuit at the same price as a new TS9) and couple it with the Fulltone Fulldrive. Do you think any of the other more "boutique" drives are worth looking into or is that just hype at this point? Thanks again for everything!

edit: I'll look into the OCD as well, but I've actually heard people discourage its use with a AC15 (it supposedly cuts the bass too much) but no harm in trying it out =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Oct 11, 2011,
To give a TS more bass just requires changing the 0.047uF capacitor to a 0.1uF one. No need for a kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Get a PlimSoul. /thread.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Check out ibanez jet driver.....a true bypass Ts9 with more balls.... $89 it's a steal.
Seems like I'm repeating myself. Too many OD threads.

There's always:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the timmy would go great with that amp.
I normally would suggest a rangemaster but you kinda have that covered.

Timmy would be great
Hotcakes are awesome

but if you want a more higher gain maybe you should look into the Butler/Chandler Tube Drive, if you want clips just listen to some Gilmour, and some Eric Johnson
hmm.. ya I have a Ge based treble boost built into the triboost, so it's essentially the same as the rangemaster (sounds awesome btw). I've looked into the Chandler tube drive but they're a little more rare and definitely expensive. So I'm kinda set on a overdrive with a boost, so I'd be getting the Tim or the double hotcake pedal, or a Timmy and a single Hotcake and use them in combo... finding them for sale (cheap) is going to be fun though haha... Thanks everyone! much appreciated!!!

EDIT: btw, do you guys know if any of these circuits are based off the Tubescreamer? I've heard a lot of overdrives are essentially spinoffs of the TS, and supposedly the King of Tone is not based on the TS.. how about the rest?
Last edited by cheeekens at Oct 11, 2011,
So I've done some more research and have found that it's not uncommon to use both of these pedals in conjunction, as they compliment each other very well. Having read this...

...just ordered my Hotcake off Ebay; should be at my front porch by Saturday ^_^

... I also found a guy on CL that's selling a Tim pedal for $250... I'm selling my Lovepedal Englishman and Whammy pedal to fund this purchase. I already have a potential buyer for the Englishman...

so stoked, can't wait! If anyone is interested in my review of these pedals, I can send them a PM =)
Just do a review in this thread. It's ok to necrobump in that sort of situation. People always like to hear how their recommendations turned out. Bump the thread and people involved will see it, have a look and remember the whole story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
already will do! thanks for the tip Cathbard!
Finally received my Hotcake, but I've been too busy to really get into it. I'll edit this post with a review as soon as I get a chance, but so far I love it. It really adds a bottom end to the Vox, and it still allows the AC15 to shine though with it's chime and treble. Thanks everyone for the advice; I'll be getting the Tim and/or Englishwoman as soon as I have the fund$.

Thank you all for your input,
Harv
You should have considered the way huge green rhino. It's a TS clone with a bass booster and a curve knob to roll off the highs. I play mine through a Vox AC4TV which is pretty bright and it sounds fantastic. I a/b ed it with the TS and the OCD and it sounded better than them IMO.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?