It's sometimes okay to be a snitch
260 74%
There's nothing wrong with being a snitch
27 8%
Other
11 3%
Voters: 352.
Page 1 of 4
What do you think about the morality of being a snitch? Keep in mind, even though it's usually referred to with kids, it can apply to adult situations. Basically for the thread, lets define it as telling on someone's misbehavior when the situation doesn't harm yourself directly.

So that could be a number of things. Like the Hey Arnold episode where Arnold sees Stinky, Harold and Sid moon the principle. The principle gives Arnold 2 weeks detention and tries to get Arnold to squeal on them, but Arnold refuses because he "wasn't a rat."

Or one that might happen when you're older is lets say you know a couple, and the guy cheats on the girl, so you tell the girl about it.

To take it to a more serious note, say you see a guy steal something very serious, and you know who it was.

When do you think being a snitch is okay, or not okay? The person getting snitched on usually has the mentality of hating snitches because "it's none of their business." What do you guys think?
There was a snitch on the block, getting nigga's knocked.
you're a stone fox
Snitches are bitches, end of.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
You shut your whore mouth!

is my stance on tattle tales
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
It seems like every thread you have posted in recently you have compared something to an old Nick show or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Not saying that's a bad thing though.

It's just something I find awesome since me and my brothers compare everything to TV shows
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Varies.

Tattletales in elementary school: go eat a dick.

Corporate whistleblowers: heroes.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The "It's sometimes okay to be a snitch" option is the only logical one.
Quote by genghisgandhi
i knew this kid who told teachers that kids were smoking marijuana in the bathroom and he got beat up, but then he smoked with them once and now he sparks mad blunts.

I actually post a rap reference and you don't get it? I am disappoint.
you're a stone fox

I don't snitch generally, but if I was in a scenario like the cheating one you gave, i'd want somebody to tell me if they know my girl was cheating.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
its unanimous

depends on what people are doing. if they are texting during working, don't snitch. if they sexually assaulted a customer, snitch.

depends if the person does something thats actually bad.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I got it, I just don't feel the need to acknowledge it. Get off my dick, bro.

Nas > Li'l B
you're a stone fox
Quote by WCPhils
It seems like every thread you have posted in recently you have compared something to an old Nick show or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
This is completely true. I've been watching a ton of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and I just downloaded season 2 of Hey Arnold.
Are you wearing a wire TS?
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Depends on the severity and who's being affected.

It's okay to snitch on someone who is, morally, less of a person. If I saw a woman getting raped (I'd probably try and stop it anyway) I wouldn't keep my mouth shut about it because 'that's the unwritten law'.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
When you think an action is/has been unethical. This will vary from person to person, including what is or isn't considered of ethical consideration - but, of course, most people hold a whole load of double standards, conflicting beliefs and shit logic in this area. People generally don't like this because it means they might be held to account for something which they arguably knew was dubious in the first place. Take, for example, everyone who has ever reported me on this site.

I also think the way TS has defined "being a snitch" is unnecessarily skewed in a certain ideological direction - if I see someone get raped or murdered it doesn't harm myself directly, or if i'm aware of large-scale fraud or exploitation or something, the implication of those isn't anywhere near the same as telling on someone for, say, picking their nose.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Depends on the situation. Generally, while I won't go out of my way to nark on someone, if it comes up, I won't lie to cover for them if they've done something stupid that was completely within their control to avoid. Like cheating, for example.

As far as your last example, rat them the hell out. I'm not willing to keep a bridge built with someone who's scumball enough to steal something that's very important to someone else for personal gain anyway. Same goes for harming someone else.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
3 men can keep a secret if 2 are dead.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by dann_blood
I also think the way TS has defined "being a snitch" is unnecessarily skewed in a certain ideological direction - if I see someone get raped or murdered it doesn't harm myself directly, or if i'm aware of large-scale fraud or exploitation or something, the implication of those isn't anywhere near the same as telling on someone for, say, picking their nose.
Yeah, it wasn't perfect and that's my bad.

But one area I've always found to be quite grey is the cheating one. You know somebody is getting cheated on, should you let that situation work itself out? Is it a responsibility to let the other person know? Obviously a person cheating is clearly unethical.
Well, considering I got 10 days out of school suspension and a "could have been" expulsion from a snitch that said my name and didn't help him out at all, I hate him. But when I faced expulsion and I was asked who gave me what I gave to him, I told them "I stole it from x" instead of actually saying he gave/sold it to me. That way I could keep myself from being expelled, and I could keep him from getting into trouble.

It depends on how to word it.
Depends.

One example is this time when kids were smoking marijuana in class. The teacher initially blamed me, and I faced possible expulsion. So I ratted the kids out.
I don't know how the teacher didn't catch them herself.

But little things that don't directly harm me or anybody else I won't rat out. If I find out somebody is doing something terrible that is harming people, I will do what I can to stop it.
Quote by slipknot5678
Depends.

One example is this time when kids were smoking marijuana in class. The teacher initially blamed me, and I faced possible expulsion. So I ratted the kids out.
I don't know how the teacher didn't catch them herself.

Getting blamed for things that I didn't do gets me so mad so quick. It's ridiculous. I don't even know why.
Quote by The Madcap

But one area I've always found to be quite grey is the cheating one. You know somebody is getting cheated on, should you let that situation work itself out? Is it a responsibility to let the other person know? Obviously a person cheating is clearly unethical.

I'd not tell, but encourage the accessory to tell the person getting cheated on.
Quote by The Madcap
What do you think about the morality of being a snitch? Keep in mind, even though it's usually referred to with kids, it can apply to adult situations. Basically for the thread, lets define it as telling on someone's misbehavior when the situation doesn't harm yourself directly.

Depends on what the misbehavior is. If its something trivial, why bother. But if its like murder or some shit, then yeah, I'll tell.
So that could be a number of things. Like the Hey Arnold episode where Arnold sees Stinky, Harold and Sid moon the principle. The principle gives Arnold 2 weeks detention and tries to get Arnold to squeal on them, but Arnold refuses because he "wasn't a rat."

Arnold is the man. And not just because he didn't snitch. (although it does help)

But yeah, I wouldn't have said anything either. Who fucking cares if some little shit showed his ass to the principal? (except for the principal, of course )
Or one that might happen when you're older is lets say you know a couple, and the guy cheats on the girl, so you tell the girl about it.

Fuck, yeah, I'll tell her. Nobody deserves to be cheated on. And IMO, anyone who cheats is asking to be found out anyways, so I'm just jumping the gun a little, and possibly keeping someone from getting even more hurt.
To take it to a more serious note, say you see a guy steal something very serious, and you know who it was.

Depends on how serious, and who it is being stolen from. If its a guy stealing a car out of some massive dealership's lot, then nah, I won't bother unless I'm offered a reward, but if its the same guy stealing the same car from an individual who paid for it, then yeah, I'll tell.
When do you think being a snitch is okay, or not okay? The person getting snitched on usually has the mentality of hating snitches because "it's none of their business." What do you guys think?

It all depends on the situation.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
depends on situation. if it is not affecting me or someone I care about, then I really don't give a damn what you do. if it is going to directly or indirectly negatively affect me or someone I know, then I probably will. cause if I don't know you, I really don't give a damn what happens to you.
I Like Green!
Quote by The Madcap

Is it really unethical, or is it something you just dislike?

My own thoughts on it are mixed; the implication is that someone being cheated on has the right to know, and that imposes the obligation on everyone else to inform them - something which I don't think holds. Is cheating immoral? Well, morality can be flexible, and then another moral dilemma of whether it's ok to become involved in the personal relationships of consenting adults. If someone's discontent with their relationship to an extent that they have sex with someone outside that relationship, and that makes them happier, is that really immoral?

So on and so forth...
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Is it really unethical, or is it something you just dislike?
I'd say it's unethical purely because when people enter a relationship, presumably they both expect the other to remain monogamous. If neither person assumes that, then it isn't really cheating, just a polygamous or open relationship. But cheating clearly causes often times pretty bad suffering to the person getting cheated on (if they found out), plus it's simply a breach of the rules laid out in most relationship. I mean, yeah there is the whole "Well, lets talk about what is objective morality and yada yada."

But I'm too lazy to get into that.

EDIT: You can disregard my whole post minus the bold on second though.
Last edited by The Madcap at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by The Madcap
I'd say it's unethical purely because when people enter a relationship, presumably they both expect the other to remain monogamous. If neither person assumes that, then it isn't really cheating, just a polygamous or open relationship. But cheating clearly causes often times pretty bad suffering to the person getting cheated on (if they found out), plus it's simply a breach of the rules laid out in most relationship. I mean, yeah there is the whole "Well, lets talk about what is objective morality and yada yada."

Good, because arguing semantics with something like this is tantamount to throwing in the towel and shouting "I have nothing valid left to say."

I agree with you. When you're in a relationship and someone is trusting you to be loyal to them, breaking that is morally reprehensible, and you're not only disgracing yourself, but your significant other. It's wrong unless you've both agreed the relationship is open, and if you get caught or found out, regardless of how, that's what you get.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by The Madcap

What if I go into a woman's house with her presuming that we both expect to have sex with each other? Does that then create a moral obligation for sex to occur? Or is that somehow different?

As you said, this is a grey area. Something is ethical or unethical based on whether it's good or bad, right or wrong, or to the extent that something leans towards either side. So yes, when someone cheats on their partner it can be extremely damaging not just to the relationship but to the psyche and mindset of the person being cheated on. But on the other hand there is a third party who, along with the person cheating, presumably feel good because of their relationship. Why is the happiness they feel not worth consideration?

If we're talking about intervening in a relationship on moral terms then you've got to ask whether an action is morally objectionable to a point which warrants intervention; and honestly, there aren't all that many situations where I can see that applying, and instead it falls on the middle ground where it's entirely dependent on everyone involved and their personal disposition about whether cheating is justifiable or non-justifiable.

EDIT: You can disregard my whole post minus the bold on second though.

But this is the internet
Quote by Vornik
Last edited by dann_blood at Oct 10, 2011,
There's a movement to "Stop Snitchin'" Carmello Anthony's involved and we have to write about it in my English class. The movement is basically saying that blacks should stop cooperating with the police until the police stop being racist and clean up the bad neighborhoods. It's really odd how it sorta works against itself.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by dann_blood
What if I go into a woman's house with her presuming that we both expect to have sex with each other? Does that then create a moral obligation for sex to occur? Or is that somehow different?

I think it'd be more like if you went into a woman's house with neither of you expecting sex. And then one of you has sex with the other one.
Quote by dann_blood

But this is the internet

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by MakinLattes
Snitches get stitches and thrown in ditches like little bitches.

You'll never find britches in Abercrombie and Fitch's.
Quote by devourke
You'll never find britches in Abercrombie and Fitch's.

And the Star Belly Snitches are the best Snitches on the Bitches.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Page 1 of 4