Be it:

• A certain technique (inc. vibrato!)
  • Improvisation ability
  • Songwriting/ Composition related
  • Music Theory
  • Aural Skills
  • Practicing Habits
  • Or anything else you can think of!!

For me, my priority at the moment is improving my composition ability.. how about you guys?
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Creativity and improvisation. Songwriting and composition too.
I guess you could make a poll o:
Could do, was interested in hearing about the specific things, but yeh, I'll add a poll too, nice idea!

EDIT: Don't think I can actually add a poll now I've made the thread.. if anyone knows how, feel free to correct me though!
Quote by tubetime86

Last edited by Stearner at Oct 11, 2011,
Less stress when recording.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Stearner
Be it:

• Improvisation ability
  • Music Theory
  • Aural Skills
  • Practicing Habits

For me, my priority at the moment is improving my composition ability.. how about you guys?

For me, probably practising habits, I sometimes tend to have a bad posture when I play with my left hand (my neck hand) I sometimes tend to get it a silly angle after about an hour or so of playing, it hurts a little bit the next day.
SOLOING. You can never be too well-versed in that I feel!
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
Ear training. The most important thing when it comes to guitar or any musical instruments.
A week ago I would have said soloing, but then I tracked a solo for one of my band's songs (I'm singer and one of two guitarists. The other guy is nuts and plays amazingly, so he tends to solo more than me) which was way better than anything I thought I was capable of playing. More than that I pulled it off in only 3 takes, and being a production student I've seen tonnes of guitarists struggle for hours in the studio over a solo.

But now I'd have to say speed. My right hand is pretty good- especially with arpeggios- but my left could use some work.
I'd also like to learn how to write better riffs. I'm really good a stringing nice chords together, but my riffs are a little lacking sometimes.
Oh god lets see...

Theory
Improvisation
Vibrato
Speed and clarity
Rhythm
Expand on my chords

WHERE IS MY PICK?
everything. after having played for over 30 years you'd think i'd be the most amazing player ever and yet for some bizarre reason i'm not. been trying to work on playing things i usually don't just to help expand my playing base. song writing skills alway need improving so once again been trying to write outside the box for the experience.
Quote by Stearner
Be it:

• Improvisation ability
  • Music Theory
  • Aural Skills
  • Practicing Habits

music theory, and technique. thats where i know i'm lacking the most, and its definitely keeping me from being a great musician.
I really want to improve on my kicks, guitar twirls, hair, back flips, wardrobe and make-up.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by Dayn
Less stress when recording.

lol works for me

I'd like to improve all aspects of my guitar playing. I can't choose one.
Click here

A certain technique (inc. vibrato!)
Improvisation ability
Songwriting/ Composition related
Music Theory
Aural Skills
Practicing Habits
Or anything else you can think of!!

)

Music it limitless is imposible to not want all ), of course it takes time but i guess its worth it )
Vibrato, legato, theory and aural skills.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
All of them have room for improvement.

Some more than others.

I need some serious aural training. Im really horrible at it.

This weekend i tried to pick out the notes of back in black by ac/dc (taking baby steps). I ended up hitting one (out of three) chord right and some 2-octave string skipping arpeggios, wich sounded sort of correct (i guess i hit the chord of the same key) but not what was actually played

I guess i can say that my technique is fine, but geting used to 8 finger tapping wouldnt hurt (tapping that mozarts piece like broderick did is a bitch, barrely able to synch my hands at 1/5 speed)
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Oct 11, 2011,
Alternate picking.
Doing stuff by ear.
Composing.
Improvising.

I'd prob add Gear adjusting here too, like getting the tone you want from your amp etc.
Interesting answers everyone.. for those who have listed more than one option, if you could improve just ONE SINGLE THING, what would it be?
Quote by tubetime86

In order of importance
1.Composing
2.Figuring things out by ear
3.To be able to consistently play the Fm bar chord on acoustic >.>
VIBRATO

Nothing is more important to me than that technique. I can shred like a mother****er, though I still need improvement/more shapes... but in the end; it all comes down to vibrato.

Shredding is 110% pointless if your vibrato sucks.
It's spelled wiener.
id like to improve my playing time,im really rolling with riffs and ideas but i just need more time to do it.
I tell you what, my rhythm tricks are sooo downtrodden its ridiculous. I mostly just do blues and jazz soloing with loose modal connections, so I am pretty content with that. I want to improve on my basic theory, stuff like reading music and such. It seems like guitarists like me tend to get into advanced stuff and skip that.

My songwriting needs to improve, but when i have a breakthrough, i really have a breakthrough. My ear training is getting better, but its not to the point where everything just makes sense. i havent practiced melodic dictation in quite awhile.

edit: above anything i need to improve my ambition. i usually just quit from the stress of recording and never try and get anything done.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Last edited by crice6505 at Oct 11, 2011,
My jazz chordal work in general (more of the theory side), and my composition skills, as my minimalist piece has to be submitted by Christmas.
-Theory (I just need any book/document that explains it for BEGINNERS)
-Certain barre chords (I hate that I'd be playing a song well and have to stop to fix up a barre chord)
-Ears (I can't tune/tab anything)
-Pinch/Artificial harmonics without a pick
ggg1 ggg3

Jesus, this is hard. Uh...

Music/Chord Theory
Songwriting/Improvisation/Soloing
Ear Training
Speed

And this last one... I dn't know what to call it, but I want my playing to be more "clean".
~When life gives you lemons, make apple juice~
i dont care much about technique. i hardly focus on that at all, because after time it WILL come. what i want to develop is a unique sound and amazing ear and composition skills. people dont care if you play fast, they care if it sounds good and just flows.
Quote by Stearner
Be it:

• Improvisation ability
  • Music Theory
  • Aural Skills
  • Practicing Habits

Honestly, everything. I can be good, but I always want to be better.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

theory.... that and learning to pick every single note....like paul gilbert status
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by mrbabo91
Being able to hear ANY song and knowing how to play it straight away

Not even Mozart could do that, man... dont destroy your confidence trying to achieve that goal. Try instead to learn a single song that you like by ear... starting at the very first note... then you've only got one small thing to learn.... then learn the second note.... etc.... enjoy the satisfaction that each newly learned note gives you... its the journey that makes the destination worthwhile....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
i dont care much about technique. i hardly focus on that at all, because after time it WILL come. what i want to develop is a unique sound and amazing ear and composition skills. people dont care if you play fast, they care if it sounds good and just flows.

While you have the right attitude, what you say is not true. If you never train to have phenomenal technique, you never will. You'll get decent at the least, but it takes some perspective and planning to reach a high level.

The problem is that many people have developed bad habits in their technique, and so the more they play, the more that bad habit is ingrained into their muscle memory, thereby choking off potential and virtually halting technical progress. So, no, good technique doesn't just COME out of the blue.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 13, 2011,