So i have chord practice in my practice sheldue, because i think it is just as important as lead. However, how do i really "practice" them? Switching or what? I play mostly prog metal and some jazz. Sorry for noob question.
to a metronome. Playing chords is about having great rhythm and playing each chord as cleanly as possible
Here's the best "trick" I've found for learning new chord shapes;

First, place your fingers on the chord, and play it one note at a time, to make sure each note is ringing clearly. Once you get that, squeeze the chord shape over and over. Don't pick your fingers up off the strings, just release the tension. Do this for 5 minutes or so, then shake your hand out, and see if your fingers go back to the chord. You may have to do this a few times in the beginning, but eventually, they (your fingers) will grab the chord effortlessly. Be sure that your fingers don't get lazy while squeezing. By that, I mean stay on your fingertips (except when barring). Don't let them sag into the other strings.
Also, it's important to be able to visualize the chord in your head. If you can see it in your mind, you'll be able to finger it much faster.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Normally I play the shape for a bit, practise getting in and out of it, then go for transitions from a chord to the chord I'm learning and back. Then I play a song I like with the chord in it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What I did when I started learning the basic chords was to first learn each shape one by one ex. first G, then Em, etc.

Then After I learned these chords I would try & switch between two chords. For example try switching between G & C. It's gonna be slow at first but if you keep at it I promise you'll get better!

Quote by maker's marked
Here's the best "trick" I've found for learning new chord shapes;

First, place your fingers on the chord, and play it one note at a time, to make sure each note is ringing clearly. Once you get that, squeeze the chord shape over and over. Don't pick your fingers up off the strings, just release the tension. Do this for 5 minutes or so, then shake your hand out, and see if your fingers go back to the chord. You may have to do this a few times in the beginning, but eventually, they (your fingers) will grab the chord effortlessly. Be sure that your fingers don't get lazy while squeezing. By that, I mean stay on your fingertips (except when barring). Don't let them sag into the other strings.
Also, it's important to be able to visualize the chord in your head. If you can see it in your mind, you'll be able to finger it much faster.
nice handle man.

Good advice... simple yet perfect. Thanks for sharing
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
nice handle man.

Good advice... simple yet perfect. Thanks for sharing

Your welcome...that's what I do.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore