I have a Mesa Mark IV. It's a beast. However, lately I just can't seem to get it dialed in to a sound that I LOVE. I can get a shit ton of sounds that are good. I can get a couple that are pretty great. I just cannot seem to get the thing right where I want it. I've noticed on the lead channel that I tend to get a LOT of feedback issues when I have it cranked up, so maybe new preamp tubes will help me?

Also I'm a bit unsure on this aspect of the amp... To get the power tubes working do I crank the channel volume, or the master volume? Or both? Because with both cranked, it's deafening in my basement.

And for all the people who are gonna say I need a new amp, I play a Carvin CT624 with a G Major 2 for effects. I play a wide range of things from classic rock, all the way to more modern rock and some metal. My average sound is somewhere between Foo Fighters and maybe shinedown or something... I like gain, but I don't have the knob on 11. I prefer something with at least 2 channels, but ideally it would have 3. I really hate doing too much volume knob diddling while I play. Price is really not a MAJOR concern, but let's just say my hypothetical budget is $2000. Right now I'm in the process of moving from Akron, OH to Chicago, so either city works.

I really like the mesa, I'm just very frustrated with trying to dial in a great tone, and am thinking maybe the best thing for me is a slightly less complicated amp... thoughts?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
i would say just stick too it. I had a peavey 6505+ and currently have a xxx and it took me a couple months to finally find a tone that i LOVED with the 6505+ and am still working on the xxx which ive had for almost a month now. I constantl get great tones just not my tone. From what i can remember about mesa's(ive only played with them randomly at music stores)is that they are much more complicated than either of the peaveys i have owned so it will probably take a decent amount of time to find your own personal tone. And the thing with the volume is just play with it until you find what you like. some people say to crank the channel volumes and then use the master from there but its all about personal preference.
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Well I've had the mesa about a year now. I'm constantly tweaking it. Like I said, I can get a ton of tones I like, but sometimes I hear a tone I LOVE, and I just can't seem to get it on the mesa. I'm sure it's in there, I guess I just suck at EQ'ing the damn thing.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
im not sure if mesa's are active or passive eq's but that could make a huge difference when it comes to looking for your tone as well
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Mesa has active EQ -- the most tone change comes with the treble knobs, hence why the Rh 1, Rh 2, and Lead channels all have dedicated treble knobs. The bass and mid control knobs are almost worthless; the graphic EQ gives you much more tone control with those aspects of your sound than do the knobs.

As far as power tubes go, cranking the master volume is what saturates your power tubes; the channel-specific volumes deal with preamp signal.

And yes, the Mark IV is a loud amp, even on the 35 watt setting. You can get a little more tube saturation at lower volume if you change the power configuration to triode/class A/tweed power. In that mode, you're only running the outside power tubes.

You can also alter your tone a little by swapping out your two outermost 6L6s for EL34s.
Hi, I'm Peter
I tried EL34's in it, but didn't really care for it. I've been running the channel volumes high, with the master relatively low, maybe I'll reverse that and see if that sounds better to me. I normally use tweed, but honestly can't remember if it's sett in class A or triode.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Well, triode/pentode is a preamp setting, while class A/simulclass are your power amp settings. If you run the switches set at Class A and Triode, you're getting the lowest possible power configuration.
Hi, I'm Peter
It might not be the right amp for you. If you don't play metal that much, that would be my guess. A Mark V would probably be more up your alley. Or maybe a regular Dual Rectifier.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It might not be the right amp for you. If you don't play metal that much, that would be my guess. A Mark V would probably be more up your alley. Or maybe a regular Dual Rectifier.

I agree with your first premise but not your second; the Mark IV is hardly a one-trick pony metal amp. I don't play metal of any sort and I love it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Are you running an overdrive in front? I found it a little hard to go straight into my Roadster on the gain channels but as soon as I put my OD in front, it was beautiful. Most people prefer a tubescreamer type pedal with a mid hump and bass rolloff to tighten up the Mesa's low end. Though, I'm not sure how the Mark IV compares in flub to the standard Rectifier series.
Ben
It's going through a 212 Recto cab.

The MKV is just as complicated, if not moreso, than the MKIV... If I end up getting a new amp, I'm looking to get something less complex. I had a triple rectifier a few years back, and it was a bit much, but it WAS also 50W more than a regular recto.

Yeah, I'm using a TS9 in front.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Roadking
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
Roadking

*sigh*

Ya know, I've been looking for an excuse to get one of those for a long time.... May have to start saving my money, and piss off the wife yet again.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
It's the best option, and I'm pretty sure Foo Fighters swore by them in the early 00s and they can get super brutal if needs be. The cleans are great, the mid gain is great. Tbh tho if you don't need metal how about a Lone Star and a boost??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
It's the best option, and I'm pretty sure Foo Fighters swore by them in the early 00s and they can get super brutal if needs be. The cleans are great, the mid gain is great. Tbh tho if you don't need metal how about a Lone Star and a boost??

LOL I like the way you think.... seriously. The lone star is another amp I was heavily interested in when I got the Mark IV at a pretty damn good price.

I've heard a ton of clips of the road king, and it's an amazing amp. The only problem I see with it is that it is yet another fairly complicated amp. Lots of options for different power and pre amp settings for each channel, etc... I love the sound of the amp, I just think I'm terrible at dialing in the EQ.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
LOL I like the way you think.... seriously. The lone star is another amp I was heavily interested in when I got the Mark IV at a pretty damn good price.

I've heard a ton of clips of the road king, and it's an amazing amp. The only problem I see with it is that it is yet another fairly complicated amp. Lots of options for different power and pre amp settings for each channel, etc... I love the sound of the amp, I just think I'm terrible at dialing in the EQ.

Complicated yes, hard to dial in no. It's a totally different monster to the Mark series in that respect, and it is not as hard to eq. The options on the back have an affect on the sound but not how easy it is to EQ
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Tubetime!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
I agree with your first premise but not your second; the Mark IV is hardly a one-trick pony metal amp. I don't play metal of any sort and I love it.

I wasn't trying to say it's a one trick pony at all, I know that Marks are extremely versatile. I was just saying that it's better voiced for metal than the V, which from what I've seen is better at lower gain stuff.

OT, maybe you can compromise with a Roadster? Not as expensive, not as complicated, and will still give you the tone you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Roadking isn't that much more than a roadster tho and it is a lot more versatile and better tbh
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Even on the used Market??

OP said cash wasn't a major problem, Roadking all the way surely
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Last edited by shredftw at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
I have a Mesa Mark IV. It's a beast. However, lately I just can't seem to get it dialed in to a sound that I LOVE. I can get a shit ton of sounds that are good. I can get a couple that are pretty great. I just cannot seem to get the thing right where I want it. I've noticed on the lead channel that I tend to get a LOT of feedback issues when I have it cranked up, so maybe new preamp tubes will help me?

Also I'm a bit unsure on this aspect of the amp... To get the power tubes working do I crank the channel volume, or the master volume? Or both? Because with both cranked, it's deafening in my basement.

And for all the people who are gonna say I need a new amp, I play a Carvin CT624 with a G Major 2 for effects. I play a wide range of things from classic rock, all the way to more modern rock and some metal. My average sound is somewhere between Foo Fighters and maybe shinedown or something... I like gain, but I don't have the knob on 11. I prefer something with at least 2 channels, but ideally it would have 3. I really hate doing too much volume knob diddling while I play. Price is really not a MAJOR concern, but let's just say my hypothetical budget is $2000. Right now I'm in the process of moving from Akron, OH to Chicago, so either city works.

I really like the mesa, I'm just very frustrated with trying to dial in a great tone, and am thinking maybe the best thing for me is a slightly less complicated amp... thoughts?

keep the channel volume low, with the master cranked. it will push the power amp more.

if you can't find the tone you want, you can try changing out the pre-amp and power tubes. pending on how many power-amp tubes there are, it can be really cheap to change out the tubes.

power amp tubes (a pair) in my fender deville cost me around 40 dollars for a set of jj's. however, a pair of nice nos tubes (2) is like 60-110 dollars typically.
Wow, I didn't realize the RK was like $2700... holy shit. I really don't see them used around me, but I can start looking around chicago now though. Though even a used RK will likely be pretty pricey. I guess it's really just a matter of saving up more cash if I really want it, but that's a LOT of cash to drop on an amp that will most likely never leave my basement, since my band has dissolved. Then again, I don't NEED a mark IV, so I guess I shouldn't look at it from the perspective of practicality....

ME WANT lol
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
last time i heard a good price for a used RK head in the US was like $2000 so you should be fine, i've seen a couple on ebay go for like $1500
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Wow, $1500 would be a steal if it was in good shape. I could probably get nearly that for the mark. Plus I have another amp I could sell... I have a lot of gear for someone who doesn't gig at the moment
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes