Hey guys, I want to start recording/mixing and putting some stuff on my computer.

In the past i've only ever had this looper app on my ipod touch and it's just not cutting it anymore.

I have all the gear I'd need, such as acoustic & electric guitars, amps, electric drum kit etc.

What's good software to use for mixing, good microphones? (I'm guessing SM57/58 but I don't know the difference between them?)
What about a mixer? Would I need one?

Any help for a beginner would be great, as for budget I'm not sure how much money I'd have to put into this, so I'll say about £250-300? Is this an adequate amount to get a good sound?
skip the mics etc for now and get yourself a computer interface and some recording software. perhaps a used POD or even a multifx unit will do the trick for now. it's easier and you get better results with limited knowledge needed. i personally use a digital 8-track recorder with a built in drum machine for recording. once you get up to speed with the recording process into a computer then maybe move into the live recording thing.
What are you wanting to record for? Just as a way of recording yourself, or would you be hoping to make recording a separate hobby in it's own right?

For that amount, you could get yourself a really good 2nd hand multitracker (I recently purchased a Tascam 2488 MkII for under £300). You'd have everything except the microphone in a single unit without having to rely on your computer. If you just want an easy way to create excellent sounding recordings of yourself with minimal impact on your guitar time, this is the best way to go.

If you're looking to get into recording as a specific hobby and don't mind sacrificing playing time for the time you'll spend working with your recordings, go with software. As well as a decent PC, mic & software, you'll need an interface to hook everything together.

The 3rd option is something like Zoom's R series - they're essentially multitrackers, but designed to also act as a PC interface and control your software.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
What are you wanting to record for? Just as a way of recording yourself, or would you be hoping to make recording a separate hobby in it's own right?

For that amount, you could get yourself a really good 2nd hand multitracker (I recently purchased a Tascam 2488 MkII for under £300). You'd have everything except the microphone in a single unit without having to rely on your computer. If you just want an easy way to create excellent sounding recordings of yourself with minimal impact on your guitar time, this is the best way to go.

If you're looking to get into recording as a specific hobby and don't mind sacrificing playing time for the time you'll spend working with your recordings, go with software. As well as a decent PC, mic & software, you'll need an interface to hook everything together.

The 3rd option is something like Zoom's R series - they're essentially multitrackers, but designed to also act as a PC interface and control your software.

I would like recording to be a definate hobby, I already have experience with recording and money isn't TOO much of an issue cause I don't really have a lot going out at the moment. I'd like to be able to record the sounds from my amplifiers and get it into a computer and then edit it, slice it all together on there. I would much rather have it all as a PC interface
Quote by AJScott
I would like recording to be a definate hobby, I already have experience with recording and money isn't TOO much of an issue cause I don't really have a lot going out at the moment. I'd like to be able to record the sounds from my amplifiers and get it into a computer and then edit it, slice it all together on there. I would much rather have it all as a PC interface

Fair enough. I'd still recommend you take a look at the Zoom R series as it is designed just for that purpose- to act as a PC interface. You also get the requried software package (think it's Cubase) bundled with it.

There are loads of options out there for software and the required interfaces and loads of threads on here discussing them, but people always like these discussions so I'm sure you'll get loads of different suggestions.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Fair enough. I'd still recommend you take a look at the Zoom R series as it is designed just for that purpose- to act as a PC interface. You also get the requried software package (think it's Cubase) bundled with it.

There are loads of options out there for software and the required interfaces and loads of threads on here discussing them, but people always like these discussions so I'm sure you'll get loads of different suggestions.

Cheers, I'll google Zoom R!
Zoom R8, 2 mic inputs, 8 controller faders for any software which makes mixing a complete dream. Perfect for guitarists looking to do home recording. It's a controller, recorder and interface all in one so it has all of your guitar effects and amps built in to record with and over 500mb of drum loops. It's cool for micing up amps or acoustics as well so you can do a left and right with the mics. Comes with a 2gig flash drive and Cubase LE5.

Grab one of those and a couple of mics (Shure sm57 or something of the like) and that's a perfect starter setup. You can build ontop of that.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I have a Boss BR-800 that I use for this exact thing. Works awesome. Controls the sliders in reaper, and is a great interface. Can also be taken with you if you want to be able to record away from home, then import files into the PC for editing. Got one new in box off ebay pretty cheap. Sound quality is absolutely pristine, and no latency. I've used it with the direct out on my amp, and with a mic on the cab. Both methods worked very well.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes