First off, I love the amp. That being said of recently I have found myself being very picky about the sounds coming out. The cleans are great, that is not my concern, obviously Marshall's are not known for their cleans, but this amp actually does a decent job of clean tones. The channel I am pondering over is my channel 2 (dirty/distorted). It achieves a nice distorted tone but not a true metal one, it wavers more on rock rather than metal. Please don't recommend a new amp, that is not in the budget. I feel that I should be able to get the tone that I want sans pedal. However, pedals are an option if necessary, I already have a couple. I feel that the guitars that I have should cover a wide array of tonal possibilities, but I am just not getting what I want.

Setting wise- Presence at around 8, treble 8, mid 3 or 4, and bass around 5. Reverb is always on (sorry, love it). volume level is around 2, I know it should be higher, but my wife is already ready to kill me. If there is anything that I should re-EQ (?) please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

P.S.-Those of you that have the jcm 2000 please give some suggestions as to your set-up, thanks.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
First off, I love the amp. That being said of recently I have found myself being very picky about the sounds coming out. The cleans are great, that is not my concern, obviously Marshall's are not known for their cleans, but this amp actually does a decent job of clean tones. The channel I am pondering over is my channel 2 (dirty/distorted). It achieves a nice distorted tone but not a true metal one, it wavers more on rock rather than metal. Please don't recommend a new amp, that is not in the budget. I feel that I should be able to get the tone that I want sans pedal. However, pedals are an option if necessary, I already have a couple. I feel that the guitars that I have should cover a wide array of tonal possibilities, but I am just not getting what I want.

Setting wise- Presence at around 8, treble 8, mid 3 or 4, and bass around 5. Reverb is always on (sorry, love it). volume level is around 2, I know it should be higher, but my wife is already ready to kill me. If there is anything that I should re-EQ (?) please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

P.S.-Those of you that have the jcm 2000 please give some suggestions as to your set-up, thanks.

JCM 2000's aren't a metal amp really, and I know how much they cost having a TSL100 so another amp is out of the question. You're right thinking the best idea is to run a pedal in front of it, which I don't know I'm not too up on my distortion pedals I just play mine with all the built in distortion.
that's what I thought I was going to have to do, any recommendations. I have a boss sd-1 with an 808 mod, but that is more of an overdrive. I was thinking of a fullbore metal, dime distortion, or something of that nature. Kind of looking for a nicer distortion pedal.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
that's what I thought I was going to have to do, any recommendations. I have a boss sd-1 with an 808 mod, but that is more of an overdrive. I was thinking of a fullbore metal, dime distortion, or something of that nature. Kind of looking for a nicer distortion pedal.

Don't know which one, take your head down to a guitar store and try some out?
have you tried running the boss as a boost?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by bobafettacheese

Thanks for all the help!

This is essentially a settings thread which are banned. Other than suggesting another amp/eq pedal/overdrive pedal there is nothing else this thread can offer.
Lrn2TurnUpMids.
Also, the Gain 2 channel doesn't have enough gain for you? Try switching your preamp tubes or get Zvex box of Metal.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Quote by bobafettacheese

Thanks for all the help!

drop the presence down.

my settings are:
bass 7
mids 6
treble 6
volume 4
gain 6
presence 0

now I'm not a big metal player, but it sounds great in a heavy setting (alice in chains esque)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Stick some JJ 12AX7's in it. Specifically the ECC83S.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Stick some JJ 12AX7's in it. Specifically the ECC83S.

another good idea. jjs make the world go round
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
In my experience, the amp's tones reflect the guitars used. If a guitar is tuned and built for metal, the amp will sound metal. Use your mids, and don't use the tone shift button.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
In my experience, the amp's tones reflect the guitars used. If a guitar is tuned and built for metal, the amp will sound metal. Use your mids, and don't use the tone shift button.

So if I plug an Ibby RG into a Fender Blackface Twin or a Marshall Bluesbreaker it will do metal?

Can I have some of your drugs please? You must be getting the good stuff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well what kind of "metal" tone are u looking for. it should do early metal and thrash stuff pretty easily.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
well what kind of "metal" tone are u looking for. it should do early metal and thrash stuff pretty easily.

Yeah this would help. I feel like I can EQ my friends JCM2000 to anything and start playing some Megadeth and I'm good.

Try something like
Treble - 5
Mids - 7
Bass - 4
Gain - 6 or 7
Presence.. depends how you feel on a given day but definitely way less than 8. Never past 5 IMO.

Add a boost pedal if you can.