Hey all
I'm Dan I've been a guitarist for 20 years now, I have a full time job outside music coz my music dreams didn't work out, but hey I still keep on playing for me its a drug and I live for the days when me and my band get up on stage and do the odd gig now and then...
I've turned my hand to teaching guitar over the last few years, I have the odd learner come over every now & then ! not a great money spinner by any means but it feels good seeing my students when they finally start playing the songs they have asked me to teach them...
I would really like to make a DvD recording of famous songs like what I teach my students at home !....
but on video and sell it over the Internet for the same amount I charge for a lesson, Thing is I know, I will be breaking copyright law and could be at risk of receiving a hefty fine of $5,000 plus for breaking copyright law or would it come under FAIR USE because all the content would be original recorded by me ?
As you maybe aware of last year the copyright watch dogs closed down all the free Guitar Tab websites ! because of this very same copyright dispute ! but they are now back up and running...
Rock and roll was always about breaking the rule's anyway or has the bigwigs in the music industry made us for get that !!!!!!!!
Licklibrary DVDs get away with copyright issues because they dont use tabs or the original track to show stuff, I think.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by 6 stringer1234
Hey all
I'm Dan I've been a guitarist for 20 years now, I have a full time job outside music coz my music dreams didn't work out, but hey I still keep on playing for me its a drug and I live for the days when me and my band get up on stage and do the odd gig now and then...
I've turned my hand to teaching guitar over the last few years, I have the odd learner come over every now & then ! not a great money spinner by any means but it feels good seeing my students when they finally start playing the songs they have asked me to teach them...

That's odd.
Hey odd,
I'm Odd, I've been a guitarist for 20 odd years now, I have a full time job oddside music coz my music dreams didn't work odd, but hey I still keep on playing for me its a drug and I live for the days when me and my band get up odd stage and do the odd gig now and then...
I've turned my odd hand to teaching guitar over the last few years, I have the odd learner come over every now & then ! not a great money spinner by any means but it feels odd seeing my students when they finally start playing the songs they have asked me to teach them...
I would really like to make a DvD recording odd famous songs like what I teach my students odd home !....
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har

been wanting to use this.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by USC Title 17 Chap 1 Section 106
Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

There's Fair Use for you. Of course, this by itself doesn't mean anything, you'd have to look at legal precedent to get an idea of how your case would go. Your best bet is to ask an attorney.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK