Hi guys.

I'm looking into getting a metal tube amp for bedroom practice and sometimes jamming.

Basically I play metal sounds like pantera , metallica etc... but i m interesting about punk, stoner,metal,death sounds .

i have seen many videos and i'm middle of this amps:
ORANGE DARK TERROR
KRANK REV JR PRO

also i liked carvin v3m but is a bit expensive in europe and HUGHES&KETTNER TUBEMEISTER but i dont think makes so metalish sounds.
Buy a big metal amp and turn it down.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah i'd have to go with tom's suggestion. While I'm not saying those smaller amps can't sound good, you're very much limiting your options...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not going to find many (or any) high gain tube amps that are going to sound their best at home volume levels. Even the low wattage ones. Definitely not saying they won't sound good, I absolutely love my 6505 but I also know it's not at its best at under 1 on lead channel post So if you're going to be hamstrung with volume levels, might as well buy what's going to sound best for how you're going to use it.

Have you thought about one of the peavey tube vypyrs?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV

Have you thought about one of the peavey tube vypyrs?

+1. If you need extremely quiet bedroom volumes, with full on metal tonality, this is the best option.

Typically, low gain amps aren't going to be very high gain. High gain requires a lot of headroom to sound the way it does.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Can you buy a mini recto as of yet? And the TS said that the carvin v3m is too pricy, the mini recto will be 50% more than it!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Not going to find many (or any) high gain tube amps that are going to sound their best at home volume levels. Even the low wattage ones. Definitely not saying they won't sound good, I absolutely love my 6505 but I also know it's not at its best at under 1 on lead channel post So if you're going to be hamstrung with volume levels, might as well buy what's going to sound best for how you're going to use it.

+1

that's not to say there aren't low wattage higher gain amps, but you can sorta count them on the fingers of one hand... certainly two hands. and if you're playing at bedroom volume, there's no guarantee that they'll sound much better than the higher wattage high gainers... both a 20 watter and a 100 watter are going to be barely ticking over at tv volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92

Typically, low gain amps aren't going to be very high gain.

mind blown
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Low wattage tube amp made for metal ?

And nobody advised him to take the (newer) Blackstar HT-5...

Oh well.
If quiet high gain playing is needed I'd just go for a low watt amp that takes pedals well and stick some kind of high gain dirt box in front of it.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Buy a big metal amp and turn it down.
This really.

For the price of that Rev Jr. Pro you can get a used Peavey 5150, XXX, or Ultra, a new Jet City 50h, a Carvin V3 (no "M"), or a Bugera, and pair with and decent 2x12.

Fuck wattage. Really, who cares if you aren't using the amp to its "full potential". Get whatever amp sounds best to your ears at the volume you usually play at, whether it be 20 or 120 watts.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
mind blown

Quote by Seref
If quiet high gain playing is needed I'd just go for a low watt amp that takes pedals well and stick some kind of high gain dirt box in front of it.

that's the cheap way to do it, and while it's worth considering if you really can't afford any more (the valve junior works pretty well for that), you really won't get the same results as you will with a high wattage high gain amp turned down, either.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Fuck wattage. Really, who cares if you aren't using the amp to its "full potential". Get whatever amp sounds best to your ears at the volume you usually play at, whether it be 20 or 120 watts.

+ infinity

I've been saying this for ages.

What's important is getting the gear which works best for your situation, not achieving some kind of mythical "justification" status where you're using the amp to its "full potential".

I mean, an amp which is perfect for the tones you want and need used at 20% of its potential probably will sound better for you than an amp which is terrible for the tones you want but which you can run at 100% of its full potential.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

you

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
mind blown

+1
I guess he was trying to say "low wattage amps" no "low gain amps" though xD. Duh!
just to note, using 150w crate at home in my 20x12 room and sounds fantastic at low volumes.

this aint the 50's. u dont have to crank the shit out of amps to get distortion anymore
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Yeah, I had a 150W triple rectifier... It was loud as all hell. However, if you carefully adjusted the master volume knob you could tame the beast, and get perfectly acceptable tone at bedroomish volumes.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
mind blown

oh wow. derp. *low wattage

Also, + infinity to the **** wattage sentiment. I rock a 120W half stack in my apartment.

Volume knobs aren't there just to look pretty.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Jet City JCA20H.

Also, the days of cranking an amp to get the best sound are long, long gone.
You dont crank for metal. Power tube distortion is saggy, loose, and muddy.
The opposite of what you want for metal.
Metal amps use preamp distortion so they sound the same no matter the volume.
That being said, you're not pushing as much air and not driving the speaker as hard, so it sounds weaker and thinner.
tnx everyone for the advices!
finally i order orange dark terror + ppc112
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

^ best tones i've ever got in my bedroom. Cant gig with it though.

tnx everyone for the advices!
finally i order orange dark terror + ppc112

Congrats! that's gonna sound great, although you will most likely need an overdrive pedal. You could even use it for gigging.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
the jet city 20 watters can do metal with a boost.
I'd personally maybe wait for the 2 channel versions which has an fx loop and second channel

I have the 1 channel version its very good sounding IMO but i only got it cause i got a really good cheap price off ebay in the uk new from source clearing there warehouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ew6C9TlWvU
Thats it boosted.

I do agree with the others though. My 120 watt ultra plus sounds just as good at bedroom volumes. It even has a half power switch and even at lower volumes i prefer it at full power. More low end!
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 13, 2011,