Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about hacking in a chromatic guitar tuner into the homebrew amp I'm building. I was thinking about buying a used tu-2, gutting it and mounting it in the amp with the display showing through a hole cut in the chassis. I would like to be able to do this without any separate power supplies.
The 5v tap on the PT secondary is not being used. How hard/messy would it be to use that with a rectifier+doubler?
Another way could be to use the included power supply, piggy back off the mains power and hard wire the tuner. Probably messy and unsafe...

Any other thoughts on how i could do this?
Q: What's worse than lobsters on your piano?
A: Crabs on your organ.
if you're gonna use the included power supply you might as well get a 9V mini toroidal transformer to put inside, it will likely be smaller and will almost definitely be a cleaner supply than a wall wart contents, not that it matters for a tuner as long as you run it in parallel with the amp circuit (i.e. signal in is split between the amp and the tuner)
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/MINI-OPEN-TOROID-3-2VA-9V-9V-0-178A-88-3395

that is a nice tiny little thing, won't take much to rectify and run through a voltage regulator, probably a tiny little perfboard/veroboard/pcb would do the trick (voltage regulator will most likely need fitting to something metal as a heat sink)
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I was thinking about that. I'm experimenting with a rectifying doubler right now. I'd rather use that if i were to add a perf board as it's only 2 caps and 2 diodes and i can hijack that unused 5v tap on the PT.
I built a rectifying doubler yesterday and tested it at work. It turns a 5Vpk AC into 9.2VDC. Pretty damn close. Next question is for the secondary on the PT. Are those 6.3V and 5V taps RMS or Peak?