Hi guys.
Since I'm no longer in need of my Acoustic half stack, I listed it on CL to see what would come my way. Today I got a trade offer for a Pignose b100v tube bass amp head and a rear ported 4x10 guitar cab. The guy said he uses it with his bass and it sounds awesome with fuzz in combination with his Ampeg 'fridge stack. I assume he means bi-amping. Anywho, I've never owned a tube amp before and Id really like a good rig to play guitar through when I need it, too.
My question is, would this, again Im assuming he meant bi amping, have any negative effect on the guitar cab? Also, is there any way I could use it to bi-amp with my Eden combo if my Eden has no bi amping features?

Ive never heard of Pignose before either. But google says the head is a decent tube amp for bass. Anyone round here have any experience?

Thanks guys.

-Wil
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Hi guys.
Since I'm no longer in need of my Acoustic half stack, I listed it on CL to see what would come my way. Today I got a trade offer for a Pignose b100v tube bass amp head and a rear ported 4x10 guitar cab. The guy said he uses it with his bass and it sounds awesome with fuzz in combination with his Ampeg 'fridge stack. I assume he means bi-amping. Anywho, I've never owned a tube amp before and Id really like a good rig to play guitar through when I need it, too.
My question is, would this, again Im assuming he meant bi amping, have any negative effect on the guitar cab? Also, is there any way I could use it to bi-amp with my Eden combo if my Eden has no bi amping features?

Ive never heard of Pignose before either. But google says the head is a decent tube amp for bass. Anyone round here have any experience?

Thanks guys.

-Wil

The no playing through guitar amps rule still applies to cabs. You may want to look into getting a bass cab further down the line. If you can find an A/B/Y box then you're good to go as far as bi-amping's concerned.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
That's what I was concerned about. What's an a/b/y box? Also, if I'm bi amping, isn't there a way to split the frequencies so that the low ones go to my bass cab and the highs go to the guitar amp?
Quote by c3powil
That's what I was concerned about. What's an a/b/y box? Also, if I'm bi amping, isn't there a way to split the frequencies so that the low ones go to my bass cab and the highs go to the guitar amp?

It's a stompbox type unit that splits your signal. YOu can pick one up fairly cheaply, I seem to remember Hartke made one in the past. To split frequences you'd need to some sort of crossover unit.
Quote by skater dan0
hrrrrmmm, cheap is good. Now how much would a crossover unit cost me?

thanks for the help, btw.
Quote by c3powil
hrrrrmmm, cheap is good. Now how much would a crossover unit cost me?

thanks for the help, btw.

I've never been interested in bi amping so I haven't researched it much, but if you go onto MF or something and have a hunt around the PA section you should be able to find something
Quote by skater dan0
Alright, thanks. So it would be
Bass--->a/b/y box--->crossover unit. From there I would split the frequencies and send the hi out into the pignose/4x10 and the low out into the Eden?

I'm only really considering bi amping because I need a really defined, yet wild distortion tone for the post rock band I'm in.
you know... That should have been painfully obvious to me. Brainderp.
an alternative to the crossover would be a 2 channel graphic eq.

that way you can choose exactly what frequencies go to each amp

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Okay, I Googled and tried to find a stompbox 2 channel graphic EQ, or any stompbox 2 channel EQ for that matter, and failed. After that I tried to find a stompbox crossover, but that proved unfruitful also. I dont want to use a rackmount EQ or crossover. Any help?

EDIT: What about just using a a/b/y box and then attaching something in the "high" output chain that will sap the low end? What could I use for that?
Last edited by c3powil at Oct 11, 2011,
Meh, I think I'm better off severing the deal and just waiting around for another bass cab, or a decent bass overdrive pedal.