Hi everybody,

So for my school technology project, we were challenged to come up with an idea for a new product, which we would both design and make.

And in line with my interests (I'm an amateur guitar player), I decided to design a guitar related product. I basically want to make a fully portable practice instrument, that allows you to exercise both hands. Ideal for use when the bulk and / or noise of your actual guitar is inconvenient. We're talking about something you could just pull out of your bag on the bus, maybe even plug your headphones into and start playing. Obviously it'll be complicated to actually work out, what with the electronics and ergonomics and what not, but if you could just give me some feedback on my proposed idea, that would be great

These are the questions I'd ideally like some answers for:

Do you think that it has potential?
Do you have any initial doubts?
If you were presented with a fully functional product that fulfilled the criteria I stated above, would you buy it for a reasonable price?
How much would you be willing to pay for such a product?
Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

But all feedback is very much appreciated! If you don't understand fully my concept from that description, just ask and I'll try and clear it up for you.

Thanks a lot!
You want to invent a travel guitar?....you're a little late with that one....
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Sounds good if you can make it portable enough while still being similar to a guitar.
Answers:

Yes.
A few, mostly to do with the practicality of making one that is small and still playable.
Yes, as long as it were functional/reasonably priced enough.
£50 ? There exist things like this and the reason I've not bought one is because the price doesn't match up to how much I'd use it.
No I am uninspired. ):
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by WtrPlyr
What would that look/be like?

Well, it would probably essentially still look a lot like a guitar, in regards to a neck and body. But hopefully a lot more condensed, I'd probably only design it with the top 3 / 4 frets, and so that it could be folded up somehow? I haven't got a clear image in my head, I'm still really at the idea stage currently.

Quote by lbj273
You want to invent a travel guitar?....you're a little late with that one....
I've googled all the existing products, there isn't anything as compact as what I'm intending to design. And it won't necessarily be an instrument, it's primary purpose will be to aid practice, not performance- if that makes sense haha.
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Sounds good if you can make it portable enough while still being similar to a guitar.
Answers:

Yes.
A few, mostly to do with the practicality of making one that is small and still playable.
Yes, as long as it were functional/reasonably priced enough.
£50 ? There exist things like this and the reason I've not bought one is because the price doesn't match up to how much I'd use it.
No I am uninspired. ):
Brilliant, thanks so much!

Quote by WtrPlyr
I can't say if I'm gonna like/buy/whatever it or answer any of your questions if I don't even know what it's gonna look like, how big it is etc.
No problem, I appreciate it's all very vague. I'll probably post another thread when I've got something solid to show for my idea, but I just thought it would be worth seeing how the actual concept was received by fellow guitar players.
Do you think that it has potential?
depending on price... though probably not
Do you have any initial doubts?
price and competitive products (travel guitars and hand exercise things)
If you were presented with a fully functional product that fulfilled the criteria I stated above, would you buy it for a reasonable price?
again, depending how reasonable that price is
How much would you be willing to pay for such a product?
about £30-£50 depending on quality
Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?
maybe look into designing an accessory or something like a capo but that only clamps certain strings so that i can train myself to get to that stage in time but still get the sound i need.

for example something that lets me get the sound this chord would make, but without the effort. that was a major confidence damager when i was learning, i couldn't do certain chords because my fingers wouldn't stretch enough but in time i've got them down after much giving up but a tool/capo that did such a thing would have made me manage the chord then slowly stretch my fingers to said chord.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
best bet for the body I think would be to make an outline (at least the bottom of the body) and have the neck fold over it. I believe having the outline would make the eletronics aspect easier as well.
If it'll do Bass then I'm interested.
Know you have to protect your legal issues...
Mostly need to be able to practice fretting/ plucking/ timing,
Maybe riffs, new ideas, etc.
Bluetooth capable?
Tactile sensing?
$75.00 if useful.
Thanks for your interest...
will be keeping an eye out.
Used with headphone amp of just headphones is good, too.
Maybe plug into Droid/phone.
Maybe $100.00.
Sounds a lot like your planning on making something that's already there. I'd have to agree with folks who said 'travel guitar'.

Don't know if it's already been done but what about scaling down the idea to just the right hand? Perhaps something that could hook on a belt. A player could practice speed, sweep and other techniques for the right hand.

One drawback could be how it looks when it's used. See some guy sitting at a table. Right hand under. Staring off into space. With that 'motion' in the right arm and his head be-boping to an imaginary beat.
A year and a half ago I wrote an article about a similar product

http://guitarliving.com/2010/01/30/lapstickthe-ultimate-portable-guitar/

I think the people posting prices like $50 to $100 are crazy. Something like that is worth at least $350 and you'll have people buying. If its too cheap, you have something thats going to be confused with a toy. $300 to maybe even $400 is a price that will have people buying. It should be at least as small as the lapstick. Most other travel guitars are really hardly portable.

The lapstick also has a built in amp and sounds very good. I just dont think id use it enough to pay what it costs. If it was $350 I would buy it in a heartbeat.
make a mini stringed midi instrument with at least 4 frets (prefer 5). that'd be sweet
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
just get a 6 string ukelele and tune it like a guitar. it would be perfect for practicing higher leads because of the smaller scale.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by nyandres

I think the people posting prices like $50 to $100 are crazy. Something like that is worth at least $350 and you'll have people buying. If its too cheap, you have something thats going to be confused with a toy. $300 to maybe even $400 is a price that will have people buying. It should be at least as small as the lapstick. Most other travel guitars are really hardly portable.

The lapstick also has a built in amp and sounds very good. I just dont think id use it enough to pay what it costs. If it was $350 I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I actually considered building something similar, but with a HB and a SC and 24.75" scale.

aoife-mccarthy, wind your own PUs, build something similar to the lapstick but not short scale, then demo it to your class with a Diezel or Bogner.

Quote by nyandres

for a practice instrument with no potential of use beyond sitting and playing on the car/bus/if they let it on an airplane, i would not pay near that, and dont know anybody (in real life) that would. there are quite a few members on here that do not own a $300 guitar, i hardly think that so many people would drop this much cash on something for a travel guitar.

also, there would have to be several things put into it to make it even worthwhile. you have got to have a neck profile most would get along with or be able to deal with, you have to have a quality fit and finish including fret work.

its been done, and i guess enough people are still buying them because they are still on the market, but i really dont think you could realistically do anything different/better, without laying some major investment.

also, who is making them? you? its not worth selling one of these for $200, when you time would take to complete one of these would put you at even 5 hours of your time plus the cost of the parts/ pickups/ woods, etc., and its not worth doing because you would likely be better off financially working a job serving at a restaurant or bartending.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for a practice instrument with no potential of use beyond sitting and playing on the car/bus/if they let it on an airplane, i would not pay near that, and dont know anybody (in real life) that would. there are quite a few members on here that do not own a $300 guitar, i hardly think that so many people would drop this much cash on something for a travel guitar.

also, there would have to be several things put into it to make it even worthwhile. you have got to have a neck profile most would get along with or be able to deal with, you have to have a quality fit and finish including fret work.

its been done, and i guess enough people are still buying them because they are still on the market, but i really dont think you could realistically do anything different/better, without laying some major investment.

also, who is making them? you? its not worth selling one of these for $200, when you time would take to complete one of these would put you at even 5 hours of your time plus the cost of the parts/ pickups/ woods, etc., and its not worth doing because you would likely be better off financially working a job serving at a restaurant or bartending.

That depends how it is marketed, furthermore, the product does not have to be sold to everyone. People who own a $300 dollar guitar are not the right audience for such an instrument because they probably would not buy a small practice guitar. People who are serious about music on the other hand would consider it, especially if it is playable like the lapstick. We are talking about a real instrument and not a toy. The lapstick has a good market at $700-$800, no more proof than that is necessary.
Quote by nyandres
That depends how it is marketed, furthermore, the product does not have to be sold to everyone. People who own a $300 dollar guitar are not the right audience for such an instrument because they probably would not buy a small practice guitar. People who are serious about music on the other hand would consider it, especially if it is playable like the lapstick. We are talking about a real instrument and not a toy. The lapstick has a good market at $700-$800, no more proof than that is necessary.

it does depend on marketing, i have taken plenty of business classes, have a BA in Econ. i am not saying any of that with the intentions of being a jerk, just to point out i am not some 13 year old hacking up a picket from a fence and trying to nail strings to it)

i was just saying for an example about investments. probably three out of four guitarists dont have over $1,000 into their rig.

i know the lapstick is successful, i have never played one, but i am sure it works great, but he either would have to deveolp a product either significantly better, or cheaper. both of which is harder to do.

as far as serious muscians, yea i can see that, but only to a point. if i lived in NYC, and took the subway for an hour to work every day, i would probably have something like that, but i dont think it would be worth $700-$800.

there is a lot of potential for success or failure on the market, but it would be a fun project.

i still think selling them and making money off of them would be really hard. you would have to carve a neck, cut the radius on the fretboard, fret it, wire it up and if its like one of the others that were demonstrated have a small amp/speaker or just a preamp for your headphones. fretwork is a long slow process, i have only messed with a few frets, and its not the funnest thing to do, and it gets frustrated. you woud have so many man hours in it, you would probably make more money bartending like i think i may have said earlier.

my thought is unless you had these manufactured in china or something, you couldn't get your labor costs low enough along with some parts that would have to be custom made to fit your unique design.

if you can find a design i wish you success, and if i can be of help shoot me a PM. i am a good devil's advocate.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!