I'd like to play some Boris or Sunn O))) like stuff, but I'd rather get a baritone guitar than bother setting up a regular guitar to handle B standard or lower tunings. Are there any baritone guitars that would get me a heavy but organic sounding one like you'd hear in this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAPXqDenQo

I heard active pickups aren't the way to go for that, right? I'm looking at a couple Agile ones, but they have active pickups.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
The only decent bari I know of is the PRS Mike Mushok. Goes for about $600 iirc. You could check out Agile guitars at rondomusic.com if you are in the US.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have an Agile Baritone, for what I payed it's fantastic. Actives won't be too bad, and its easy enough to swap them out down the road. That organic sound you want is almost all in the amp, pickups won't make a huge difference.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by JustRooster
What's your budget?

Nothing is set in stone, but I don't want to go over $600. Less would be preferred, though.

Also, how low could I reasonable downtune a baritone guitar without putting on higher gauge strings or having it play terribly?
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Last edited by Uranutan at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by Uranutan

Also, how low could I reasonable downtune a baritone guitar without putting on higher gauge strings or having it play terribly?

The same as any other guitar? I'm assuming you'd be fine going down 1 step (A standard) and may be pushing it at G#/Ab standard.

EDIT: Assuming ~27" scale length.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by Uranutan

As far as your particular scale length allows. Obviously you can go lower on 28" than on 26.5".
Quote by AWACS
The same as any other guitar? I'm assuming you'd be fine going down 1 step (A standard) and may be pushing it at G#/Ab standard.

This.

I play in C stan/Drop Bb

I'd have no problem going to Drop A with my 13-56.

You don't NEED baritone, as far as I know, all the stoner doom stuff I listen to use C/drop A and don't use baritone guitars. In fact the guys in Sunn O))) use les pauls which are like 24.75" scale, it helps add to the (wanted) muddyness basically.

Low tuning, looser strings, Bit of mud and a bit of fuzz makes for a nice deep stoner doom/drone metal tone.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss