Hey all! I currently have a Mesa triple rec. with the straight 4x12 rec. cab. I am planning on getting another 4x12 cab but should I go with a Mesa for that deep rhythm tone or should I go with e.g. Marshal 1960 lead for the higher end. I play lots of rhythm parts in my metal band www.reverbnation.com/daysofatonement. Would the sound of a Marshall/ Mesa combo sound good together? What are your thoughts?
....why a full stack? If you want two tones, just swap out two speakers. If you want to run two 4x12s in stereo, I'd want them to be the same.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 11, 2011,
it would sound loud. VERY loud. louder than you would EVER need anywhere.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93

It would be heavy. VERY heavy. Heavier than you'd ever want to deal with without a professional team of roadies.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
It would be heavy. VERY heavy. Heavier than you'd ever want to deal with without a professional team of roadies.

this too. you would never want to lug a fullstack anywhere.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Hahaha nice replies. I thought they would be more serious hahahahah . We gig quite often and nothing looks more awesome than a full stack. Our lead player has a new line 6 bogner valve full stack so I gotta get one haha. I'll probably go with another Mesa but I'm not too sure yet. I'll try out a bunch of different combos and let you know in about 2.5 weeks.
Quote by Stephen Bobra
Hahaha nice replies. I thought they would be more serious hahahahah . We gig quite often and nothing looks more awesome than a full stack. Our lead player has a new line 6 bogner valve full stack so I gotta get one haha. I'll probably go with another Mesa but I'm not too sure yet. I'll try out a bunch of different combos and let you know in about 2.5 weeks.

I play gigs with a Peavey Valveking 50 watt combo, and I don't ever turn the volume up past 3, cause they mic us anyway. even at practice, I have my amp at 3.5. there's NO reason for EITHER of you to have fullstacks.
Quote by pedromiles101
Or.....you could just laugh at it him for having to carry 2 4x12s every time you go out to gig. Not to mention he's only using two to compensate for his line6 valve compared to your triple recto.

No offense, but I think a band with 43 facebook likes hardly needs two fullstack rigs. I don't think you'll be playing any Arenas for a while (even there, only one 4x12 is usually plugged in).

Do yourself a favor, and stick with one 4x12. That money is better spent on something more useful. Perhaps a large stick to smack the other guitarist with.
WTLTL 2011
Just get an empty 4X12 cabinet and keep it full of booze. Then you can look "tough" and at the same time get drunk enough to not mind that the other guitarist is making the first 8 rows deaf.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Hard to lug around? That's why you have roadies. Make 'em work I say. I wouldn't be bothered with a Mesa fullstack but If somebody gave me a JTM45/100 full stack I'd certainly find it worthwhile to lug around. Maybe I'm just not a pussy.

A 1960 would certainly fill out the sound nicely - but is it a sound you actually want? The best way to find out is to hire a 1960 and give it a go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the help cathbard you are not a pussy like the rest. At least you want better gear. Well I got the cash for it so I am gonna do it. If you other users don't like it then dont respond and keep using your 15 watts
I actually have a superb rig already. I'll finish building a JTM45 some time this year but that's just to amuse myself at home. I want to build a Gary Moore rig. The Marshall 18W'ers I build get close but they just don't have enough grunt to get the feedback soaring. A half stack is all I need for what I do but like I said, I wouldn't turn down a JTM45/100 full stack if it was on offer for the right price. There's nothing like a big amp and a wall of speakers when you want to work feedback properly.
Seriously though, find a hire place and try one out. Every hire place with amps will have a 1960. It should be broken in nicely too so you'll get to hear what it will sound like long term.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Perfect!! Thanks man I'll try one out. I wish I could have a Gary Moore rig haha. Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it sounds.
Christ there's some sissies on this forum. In my old cover band both guitarists ran two 412s in stereo, 120 watt power amps up at 12 o'clock. It's loud sure, but it wont explode your brain like a lot of people here seem to claim, and 412 cabs are not THAT heavy.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I can't even take his band seriously. They use Warlocks. That's bad enough.

I gig quite often, if I see a band with a Warlock, I almost immediately leave the venue and go outside. Now, if I saw said band with Warlocks and Full Stacks, I'd leave and tell everyone else to leave. Or I'd sit and laugh at them while they played with everyone else at the show.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Where are you getting that they use Warlocks? I just took a look at his site and I didn't see any.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Where are you getting that they use Warlocks? I just took a look at his site and I didn't see any.

Watch the video bro
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Quote by Stephen Bobra
Thanks for the help cathbard you are not a pussy like the rest. At least you want better gear. Well I got the cash for it so I am gonna do it. If you other users don't like it then dont respond and keep using your 15 watts

1. i dont think you have any idea of what you are talking about as far as speakers and SPL goes.
2. the only purposeful reason would be to run stereo, which only really is needed (not really needed, but more advantagous) if you were the only guitarist in the band.
3. lower wattage amps are not really as quiet as you think.
4. you are kind of coming off as an ass, and just to let you know because you will get more and better help with your situation.

as far as i am concerned, buy another cabinet if you want one, who are we to tell you how to spend your money, but the thing is there is probably a better place the $500 for the cab could go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
1. i dont think you have any idea of what you are talking about as far as speakers and SPL goes.
2. the only purposeful reason would be to run stereo, which only really is needed (not really needed, but more advantagous) if you were the only guitarist in the band.
3. lower wattage amps are not really as quiet as you think.
4. you are kind of coming off as an ass, and just to let you know because you will get more and better help with your situation.

as far as i am concerned, buy another cabinet if you want one, who are we to tell you how to spend your money, but the thing is there is probably a better place the $500 for the cab could go.

But you gotta admit, nothing provides better useable feedback across the stage than a wall of speakers. At least 50W and 4x12 or gtfo. And you know I know what smaller amps are like.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Stephen Bobra

I wouldn't mind moving them, they would just be unnecessary.
Quote by Cathbard
But you gotta admit, nothing provides better useable feedback across the stage than a wall of speakers. At least 50W and 4x12 or gtfo. And you know I know what smaller amps are like.

i agree, except for one thing, 45 watts work good too....

it seems like we have a similar taste in clones. IIRC we both did the 18 watt at same time, you snuck a few extra in becuase you are a little more expeienced, and it took 4 months to receive the kit. but my JTM45 should be done in the next week or two.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
It's always been my dream to have a killer fullstack (two different amps on fullstack actually).
FKCN KICK A**!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i agree, except for one thing, 45 watts work good too....

it seems like we have a similar taste in clones. IIRC we both did the 18 watt at same time, you snuck a few extra in becuase you are a little more expeienced, and it took 4 months to receive the kit. but my JTM45 should be done in the next week or two.

45 is close enough to 50 to be unnoticeable. When I say 50W that includes JTM's. Rounding off 45 to the nearest round number is 50. I didn't use a kit.
My JTM45 won't be for a while. Too busy building 18W'ers to sell. I'll get there though. It's not like I actually need a JTM45, it's only so I can pretend to be Gary Moore in my lounge room. 18W'ers just don't pump enough air.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Putting your stuff in roadcases looks more bad ass than an extra cab ever will, in my opinion.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
Quote by randomhero93

An extra cab isnt going to add much volume at all, just spread the sound out and give you greater coverage. Its already "loud, very loud and louder then you would EVER need anywhere" as it is but who cares don't be a pussy.
I use a full stack, sounds killer. I also use two kick drums on my kit. I don't own a no-wattage practice amp either. Just the sounds I like. I play with a guy that uses the 1960 cab with a boogie cab, best of both worlds right there.....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
screw a fullstack... get another 4x12 and put it on the other side of the stage to even out your sound! i hear alot of metal bands at shows where each guitarist run one halfstack. but i saw a band where each gutirist has a cab on either side of the stage and it sounds alot better, regardless of where you are you can always hear either guitarist!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Cathbard
45 is close enough to 50 to be unnoticeable. When I say 50W that includes JTM's. Rounding off 45 to the nearest round number is 50. I didn't use a kit.
My JTM45 won't be for a while. Too busy building 18W'ers to sell. I'll get there though. It's not like I actually need a JTM45, it's only so I can pretend to be Gary Moore in my lounge room. 18W'ers just don't pump enough air.

i was just being a smart ass with the 45 watt thing.

i am not quite there yet to piecing parts together. plus having a laser cut chassis is handy.

i am still very new to building amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Two 4 x 12 is over kill. I have a Mesa 4 x 12 and it's more then enough for any venue, If you want to change your sound by another cab, get a 1 x12 or a 2 x 12 with different speakers to go with the 4 x 12.

I plan on doing that.

You could always sell the 4 x 12 and get 2 different 2 x 12 to get different sounds. But Iy you want another cab just for moar speakers then

It'll sound like mud and be hard to carry around, and you look stupid, unless your selling out large venues and such, and are a BIG band, you just look dumb. Even most large bands, don't even have there amps on stage any more, they get mic'd back stage.

And also micing a full stack is hell. micing a 4 x 12 well trying to avoid any bleed from the other speakers is hard, the last thing you need are 4 more speakers
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
When you're miking a cab at a gig wtf does it matter if you get bleed from the other speakers?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

He wasn't being an ass until he was treated like one.. dude asked a question and got a bunch of sarcastic answers.

I use a Single Rec with a Mesa 4x12, OP. I've played a couple gigs with a Mesa 4x12 and Marshall 1960 cab combo. They sounded great together, but I still preferred the gigs I used either a Peavey cab with Sheffield speakers or another Mesa cab.

I was running the cabinets in stereo, so it wasn't exactly a full-stack effect, but that's my input. I'd personally get a second Mesa cab if you really, really, really want another.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Oct 12, 2011,
If I might suggest an Avatar loaded with whatever speakers you want to experiment with? Get a few different ones and swap them around. Just buy an unloaded cab and go hunting for speakers. There'll be a certain combination that will just drop you to your knees but there's only one way to find it - experiment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 3074326
He wasn't being an ass until he was treated like one.. dude asked a question and got a bunch of sarcastic answers.

I use a Single Rec with a Mesa 4x12, OP. I've played a couple gigs with a Mesa 4x12 and Marshall 1960 cab combo. They sounded great together, but I still preferred the gigs I used either a Peavey cab with Sheffield speakers or another Mesa cab.

I was running the cabinets in stereo, so it wasn't exactly a full-stack effect, but that's my input. I'd personally get a second Mesa cab if you really, really, really want another.

What do you expect from a forum with a bunch of 14 year olds and holier-than-thou know it alls (often a combination of both).

Mark G and Beast Mode for example. Complete asshats.
get an Orange cab. they are awesome i have two 2x12"s but have played on their 4x12". i haven't heard one back to back with a mesa, but orange cabs sound good. actually i would probably trade my rec cab for one.

_________

honestly the thing to do would be to search CL for your desired speakers (most would appear up in cabs), and play one of those and if you like it, pick it up. i picked up a avatar cab for $150 with 2xV30's and 2xCelestion EVH, i picked up a peavey cab for $150 that had four english celestion K85's (my favorite speaker atm), i traded a guy a line 6 cab that i bought for $50 from a friend because i needed a backup back then traded it to some guy for a Kustom cab with english t75's in it. i picked up my mesa cab for $400.

the difference in quality of cabs is certainly a factor, but the speakers will make more of a difference in the cabs.

_________

the money that would be left over from one of the cheaper cabs you could buy a thrid and have a full-and-a-half-stack. thats what you need. all 12 feet tall. oh and a step ladder to turn the knobs on the head.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!