Ok heres my question...probably not a hard one I just have not heard anything about this topic around.

So i have a 4 channel peavey 6 mixer with a digital out and want to record with a condenser mic and an sm 57 in different channels and use em both to mic a guitar amp for studio recording. The condenser requires phantom power and the sm57 dosnt. If I turn it on will it ruin the sm 57? If it does how do I fix this problem so I can combine the mics for micing my amp?

Thanks!
awesome thanks! What about sound quality? will it make a difference there?
i guess there is a possibility of line interference but i have never heard it. heck i may be wrong it may not be possible. im sure disarm or axeman will clear up if its true.

either way you won't be able to tell if there is any interference it would be super small.
No it won't, Phantom power is exactly that "phantom". It provide electric charge to a condenser mic to get it pick up the signal (I won't go into the specifics). 57 (all dynamic mics) on the other hand work in a fundamentally different way. So there shouldn't be any interferences.

That being said, ribbon mics work on a similar principle to condenser (electromagnetic) but phantom power can destroy them. So, don't plug a ribbon in with phantom on (without checking the manual first)
ok cool. yea i read some were that it can really mess up ribbon mics so I was just curious! thanks for the replies! Have you guys tried micing an amp with a condenser/dynamic mix? how well does it work? I dont actually have a condenser yet but i have heard mixed reviews on it. I play mainly progressive and symphonic metal but do all sortsa stuff...
I have never actually tried doing a mix, but the reason your getting mixed reviews is just some people can't mic amps for crap lol. Just keep playing with it once you get your condenser and I am sure you will get it right. Try all types of things, such as one mic behind the cab and such.
yea i have heard all sorta of crazy combinations haha. recording is an art that i need to get better at...like you alluded to...trial and error! anyways thanks for the help mate!
It depends on the position of the mic far more than the type of mic, when it comes to heavy guitars. And yes, I've used (and liked) a '57 off-axis and off-centre, with an AKG C414 straight-on and slightly to the edge of the cone, both about 2" from the cloth. I've also used a U87 as a room mic when just trialling mics before combined with a '57 and an i5 (switched between '57 and i5 with U87 still hooked up) but I presume you're on about close-miking here.

Also, the phantom power thing has already been covered as much as it needs to - I would advise you make sure a ribbon is never connected to phantom power, and I would generally not connect a dynamic to it either, as I've heard there are a few (albeit rare) dynamic mics that don't like phantom power, and it seems pointless to send useless voltage to the mic anyway (and some cheap desks are noisier when running phantom power, so unless you already have something using it, I'd turn it off).

In fact, I'm a bit pedantic/OCD when it comes to things like that, which is why when someone told me the difference between the Focusrite Saffire Pro and the Liquid Saffire 56 is not worth the cash, one of my main points in reply was that the Liquid has individual phantom switching per channel (though the liquid pre's on the first two channels is a bigger advantage), whereas the Pro groups them (can't remember if it was in 4's or 2's though).

Edit: Also, back to the combining mics thing, be weary that you can change the sound more by time-aligning two mics than choosing two different mics in some cases... if the untouched tracks suffer from phase-cancellation you'll end up with a weaker tone than when you put just the one mic up!

DoubleEdit: Inspired me to do a little research and brush up my knowledge - I am right to be pedantic and turn phantom off because it can hurt dynamics and ribbons; the only thing stopping it is the output transformer in those microphones - the reason why many ribbons would be fine with phantom too. If the transformer fails (or is taken out, in the case of a popular '57 mod, amongst others) then the phantom signal can short across the two balanced pins of the microphones XLR connection and damage the mic. The output transformer in the mics is what prevents this from happening, and the reason condensers are able to avoid this is that their output transformer is after the signal splits in the signal chain, as opposed to before it (in dynamics and ribbons). You can avoid this hassle with old ribbons and the like by having the 'centre tap' ungrounded, thus disconnecting the live pins from the phantom power's signal path.

At least, that's what 5 mins of quick research told me.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 11, 2011,
Still don't know if I'd connect a 1500 plus vintage ribbon to phantom power because I'd grounded it myself.

When I could just turn phantom power off.