Page 1 of 6
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/carbon-tax-bills-pass-lower-house-of-federal-parliament/story-fn7x8me2-1226164570957?class=mostpop-item-link&

This is a disgrace. Our stupid PM doesn't realise what she is going to do to Australian businesses and families.

Australia is going to have to pay the biggest carbon tax on the planet while we only produce 1.5% of all carbon emissions.

Julia Gillard is an idiot. She also censored 4,500 people who wrote in very detailed letters as to why the carbon tax was ridiculous. This is a direct attack on freedom of speech. This is the first time this has ever happened in the Australian Government.

You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Last edited by seeneyj at Oct 11, 2011,
It's just will power dude. My Grandpa found out if he kept using carbon he'd die. So he just threw it all away.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Cool story bro
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
You're just mad because you aren't in America and thus no freedom.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by seeneyj
This is a direct attack on freedom of speech.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rn/2001-02/02rn42.htm
Freedom of Speech and the Constitution

The Australian Constitution does not have any express provision relating to freedom of speech. In theory, therefore, the Commonwealth Parliament may restrict or censor speech through censorship legislation or other laws, as long as they are otherwise within constitutional power. The Constitution consists mainly of provisions relating to the structure of the Commonwealth Parliament, executive government and the federal judicial system.(6) There is no list of personal rights or freedoms which may be enforced in the courts. There are however some provisions relating to personal rights such as the right to trial by jury (section 80), and the right to freedom of religion (section 116).
wuts an ostrelia

EDIT: ^ Dear god Dirge, that's the funniest thing I've seen you post in a while.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 11, 2011,
This isn't too bad. It's a good initiative to facilitate the changing of behavior that causes high carbon emissions.
I would disagree with this. Arguments about carbon aside, I believe the purpose of taxation is to raise money, not to control behavior.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
I would disagree with this. Arguments about carbon aside, I believe the purpose of taxation is to raise money, not to control behavior.

You're obviously not a democrat.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by rgrockr

This is exactly what it is about. It isn't about the environment at all.

UG Awards
Quote by Dirge Humani
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rn/2001-02/02rn42.htm

Quote:

Freedom of Speech and the Constitution

The Australian Constitution does not have any express provision relating to freedom of speech. In theory, therefore, the Commonwealth Parliament may restrict or censor speech through censorship legislation or other laws, as long as they are otherwise within constitutional power. The Constitution consists mainly of provisions relating to the structure of the Commonwealth Parliament, executive government and the federal judicial system.(6) There is no list of personal rights or freedoms which may be enforced in the courts. There are however some provisions relating to personal rights such as the right to trial by jury (section 80), and the right to freedom of religion (section 116).

Lol. According to Wikipedia Australia is the only western country that has yet to adopt a bill of rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_rights
Last edited by WaterGod at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by WaterGod
Lol. According to Wikipedia Australia is the only western country that hasn't adopted a bill of rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_rights

There has never been an issue with censorship in Australia. We haven't need the bill of rights. Until now.

UG Awards
Considering your nation was borne of a horde of banished criminals, this isn't so bad. If you really want to spite this broad, then round up some kangaroos from coolangatta and roast em on the barbie. With shrimp and the ashes of Steve Irwin.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by darkstar2466
But Australia is an eastern country!

Southern.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Acϵ♠
Considering your nation was borne of a horde of banished criminals, this isn't so bad. If you really want to spite this broad, then round up some kangaroos from coolangatta and roast em on the barbie. With shrimp and the ashes of Steve Irwin.

Silence, you ignorant fool. Go drink some more maple syrup. It might make you more intelligent.

UG Awards
Quote by Jackal58
Southern.

But it's an eastern country.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by seeneyj
Silence, you ignorant fool. Go drink some more maple syrup. It might make you more intelligent.

Which part was ignorant? The factual part about your country's origin or the factual part about the kanagaroos being around coolangatta? Or the factual part about Steve Irwin being ashes?

it almost sounds like....u mad bro?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by darkstar2466
But it's an eastern country.

East/West is an arbitrary definition. North/South is magnetically demonstrable.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
East/West is an arbitrary definition. North/South is magnetically demonstrable.

Fine, they're southern.

But they're still to the east of the States and therefore eastern.

Quote by Acϵ♠
Which part was ignorant? The factual part about your country's origin or the factual part about the kanagaroos being around coolangatta? Or the factual part about Steve Irwin being ashes?

In Cah-nah-DAH, our wives don't fart, buddeh.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by darkstar2466

Fine, they're southern.

Flights to Australia from the US depart LA, SF or Seattle. Not JFK. They fly west to get there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by darkstar2466

Fine, they're southern.

They're closer west of the united states.

Quote by Jackal58
Flights to Australia from the US depart LA, SF or Seattle. Not JFK. They fly west to get there.

exactly
Last edited by WaterGod at Oct 12, 2011,
In the same week:

Australian government: Passes carbon tax
English government: Passes a bunch of moronic laws courtesy of David "How the hell did he get elected" Cameron
American government: Stops attempted assassination of a foreign diplomat, and multiple terrorist bombings.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
The main issue is that she's a lying bitch. She explicitly said she would not bring in a carbon tax.....and now she has.

I still find it hilarious how much support Rudd has again. I'm afraid all our politicians are complete fuckwits though. There really is no reprieve from the horrendous fail that is Australian politics.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by necrosis1193
In the same week:

Australian government: Passes carbon tax
English government: Passes a bunch of moronic laws courtesy of David "How the hell did he get elected" Cameron
American government: Stops attempted assassination of a foreign diplomat, and multiple terrorist bombings.

America **** Yeah!
Quote by Acϵ♠

The part about kangaroos being around coolangatta! They are everywhere!

UG Awards
Quote by KTFM
We have the 2nd highest emissions per capita... We need something to curb it.

lrn2beingright.

Bro, 1.5% on the world's emissions.
It isn't about the environment. It is another government money grab.
China is pumping out 7,711 million tonnes a year. 13.3%
America is pumping out 5,425 million tonnes a year. 7%
Many other countries including Germany, India, South Africa, Russia, Japan are all producing more emissions. Yet, Australia is going to have a carbon tax.

UG Awards

Also, Australia does have a protection in freedom of political communications and some states have their own bill of rights
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
^

Quote by seeneyj
This is exactly what it is about. It isn't about the environment at all.

It's absolutely about the environment.

I'm assuming you aren't a climate-change skeptic, and thus would agree that carbon emissions are bad for the environment. Presumably, you don't want your air to be grey. So you should be on board with this.
The free market doesn't take environmental costs into consideration, but is definitely should; the carbon tax looks like a way to do that. Right now, carbon costs are externalized by producers, meaning they're free to create products that are destructive to the environment -- so long as it remains a lucrative business, that is.

It's my understanding that the tax money will be used to compensate households for rising energy prices. So I really don't see the problem. Yeah, Gillard promised she wouldn't instill a carbon tax but, beyond that fact, this isn't bad at all. It's meant to discourage destructive behavior that harms everyone. Behavior that would otherwise go unchecked and unaccounted for in the market system.
Quote by due 07
^

It's absolutely about the environment.

I'm assuming you aren't a climate-change skeptic, and thus would agree that carbon emissions are bad for the environment. Presumably, you don't want your air to be grey. So you should be on board with this.
The free market doesn't take environmental costs into consideration, but is definitely should; the carbon tax looks like a way to do that. Right now, carbon costs are externalized by producers, meaning they're free to create products that are destructive to the environment -- so long as it remains a lucrative business, that is.

It's my understanding that the tax money will be used to compensate households for rising energy prices. So I really don't see the problem. Yeah, Gillard promised she wouldn't instill a carbon tax but, beyond that fact, this isn't bad at all. It's meant to discourage destructive behavior that harms everyone. Behavior that would otherwise go unchecked and unaccounted for in the market system.

No, I think climate change is a hunk of rubbish. That is why I am against the tax. There is so much scientific evidence against climate change but I'm not going into it, it will take forever.
They say that the money will be used to compensate for rising energy prices but it won't happen. Just like Gillard said she wouldn't introduce the carbon tax.

It will be even more devastating to small businesses. Large corporations will be able to absorb the loss but already-struggling small/medium business won't. This is gonna be very bad for Australia

UG Awards
yeah Australia only produces 1.5% of the world emissions but it makes up oly 0.003% of the worlds population. seems like we are polluting more than our fair share. don't take stupid lobbying advertisments for face value.

use your own brain and think a little bit.
Quote by due 07
-lots of hippy nonsense-

I actually work for a government agency entirely focused on ecological and environmental conservation and I think this tax is bullshit. It's positive effects on the environment will be negligible at best. Of course, if I'm wrong and it turns out this is the best thing to happen to Australia I'll happily eat my words and admit I was wrong, but If anything I think this is just going to have a negative effect on our already falling economy.

As far as Gillard's competency coming into question (as it always is,) I will truly fear for our survival if Abbott gets elected. He's a smart man, but he behaves like an infant. I don't know where his university education went, but it's probably not coming back.

*I'm trolling when I say everything you said was hippy nonsense.

EDIT: Admittedly I haven't been paying much attention to the political goings on in the country recently so if anybody feels the need to tear me a new arsehole with some new information that I've neglected, go right ahead.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by seeneyj
No, I think climate change is a hunk of rubbish. That is why I am against the tax. There is so much scientific evidence against climate change but I'm not going into it, it will take forever.
They say that the money will be used to compensate for rising energy prices but it won't happen. Just like Gillard said she wouldn't introduce the carbon tax.

It will be even more devastating to small businesses. Large corporations will be able to absorb the loss but already-struggling small/medium business won't. This is gonna be very bad for Australia

There's also a lot of evidence for human-made climate change. That's why 97% of climate experts (read: scientists) agree on the fact that it is "very likely that anthropogenic greenhouse gases have been responsible for most of the unequivocal warming of the Earth's average global temperature in the second half of the twentieth century."
Source

Isn't the tax only directly applying the 500 biggest polluters in the country?