Ive always wanted to own a lute as well as a baroque guitar. While im sure for a playable good sounding example im probably going to pay over $2000 easily probably, but where might I find some instruments like this. Im learning classical guitar, so Im fairly sure figuring out the technique to play them wouldnt be impossible.

they both have such beautiful tones
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
Ive always wanted to own a lute as well as a baroque guitar. While im sure for a playable good sounding example im probably going to pay over $2000 easily probably, but where might I find some instruments like this. Im learning classical guitar, so Im fairly sure figuring out the technique to play them wouldnt be impossible.

they both have such beautiful tones
Well, to paraphrase former president Bill Clinton, "that depends what you mean by baroque".

A quick Google search leads to this definition of the baroque period:
The term Baroque era describes the style or period of European music between the years of 1600 and 1750. The term Baroque was derived from a Portuguese ...
Well, thank God you're not looking for a baroque violin! Say, a Stradivarius": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius Wikipedia tells us that these are valued to potentially millions of US dollars.

I concede the valuation of a guitar or lute from this period may not track anywhere near the astronomical price of a Stradivarius violin, but I also think for a decent example, two large seems a bit optimistic.

I'd say two grand would get you some genuine baroque "plectrums".

But, what do I know? I'm a perennial pessimist.

Anyway, IMHO, you should start test shopping and playing present day instruments. Then ponder the wisdom of jumping in with both feet and the attendant massive debt as you progress....Lutes @ Google: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=985&bih=1731&q=Lutes+for+sale&btnG=Google+Search
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 13, 2011,
loll not a legit vintage instrument or anything.

the baroque guitar, related to the lute, was a precursor to the renaissance guitar (which was a precursor to the modern spanish classical). Im pretty sure the main difference between the renaissance guitar and spanish is the bracing.

the baroque guitar has 5 courses of strings and a very narrow body

this guy has one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_OQ_j4Kdd0

and this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xVXZQFuhQ&feature=related
its legit its own instrument with a unique tone. Im absolutely positive they can be built by luthiers, though idk who, and I doubt mass produced ones exist.

I HAVE found some lutes for under $800, kits to build them, and custom ones (depending on style and quality) for thousands. I dont know what the playability/sound is like on cheaper lutes, but if they use modern bracing Ive heard it ruins the sound.

so no, Im not looking for vintage shit from a thousand and a half years ago, Im looking for modern recreations of old instruments that have just recently in the last hundred years or so been dredged up and recreated. Unfortunately since no real players from the period exist nobody is sure if technique is proper, and nobody is quite sure how the music should be played anymore as nobodys heard it played proper in centuries.

Id figured someone on here would know what I was talking about. but seriously look into these things I think they sound cool/
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by spiroth10

I HAVE found some lutes for under $800, kits to build them, and custom ones (depending on style and quality) for thousands. I dont know what the playability/sound is like on cheaper lutes, but if they use modern bracing Ive heard it ruins the sound.
Yeah, bracing patterns are the full thrust of Ovation's hype.

Quote by spiroth10
so no, Im not looking for vintage shit from a thousand and a half years ago, Im looking for modern recreations of old instruments that have just recently in the last hundred years or so been dredged up and recreated.
Well, that's not exactly what was written
Quote by spiroth10
Unfortunately since no real players from the period exist nobody is sure if technique is proper, and nobody is quite sure how the music should be played anymore as nobodys heard it played proper in centuries.
Well, if classical music from that period is any indication, "proper technique" would be a series of musical triplets that goes on for a couple of hundred years.... To wit; da, da, da........da, da, da........da, da, da... With an occasional "dah, dah, dah.... thrown to break the monotony.

Please don't take this post to heart, I'm just funnin' witcha... (PS, I love triplets! Listen to the Beatles "All My Loving" sometime, you'll learn to love them too).

I linked this as just something else that's off the beaten path for you to ponder: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultioudp.htm All kidding aside, the electric oud kicks a**. We have a middle eastern restaurant in town, (belly dancers and all), and this music would be an interesting investigation also.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 13, 2011,