Right now I'm working on an essay and I'm struggling with a bit of writers block. Have you ever experienced this? What have you done to overcome this devastating problem? Even if you don't give me any valid answers, please just humor me. I need some laughs!
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
when i used to have essays, i'd try finding some songs that are about the topic i was writing about, for example, if you're writing about war, then listen to some war songs, amon amarth, ensiferum, and other such jazz. it's like, inspirational and junk.

or, just don't write the essay. that's what i ACTUALLY did when i had essays, sorry for lying.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
Try reading over the content you are covering in your essay.

Quote by wackamasta
when i used to have essays, i'd try finding some songs that are about the topic i was writing about.
You don't know of any songs about psychology by any chance?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 12, 2011,
Write anyways. Power through to get yourself started and then edit it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Dirge Humani
I can never write. Ever.

I have been shit with written words my entire life. If I am speaking to someone, I can get ideas out amazingly. But if I have to write...NOPE

Same. If were doing a writer's table and there's people to bounce ideas off of I'm alright, but if it's solo I have to wait for the last second to come up with anything. I honestly can't remember the last time I wrote something creative/structured for someone before 3AM the day it was due.

EDIT: Not condoning or suggesting anything, but sometimes a drink helps
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by Banjocal

You don't know of any songs about psychology by any chance?

Pink Floyd's The Wall
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by Dirge Humani
I can never write. Ever.

I have been shit with written words my entire life. If I am speaking to someone, I can get ideas out amazingly. But if I have to write...NOPE

I am the exact opposite. I can't verbally communicate to save my life but give me a pen or a keyboard and I'm gold.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Brandon860
EDIT: Not condoning or suggesting anything, but sometimes a drink helps
There must be a reason everyone who ever wrote a great novel was an alcoholic, right? There's gotta be something there.
Quote by RU Experienced?
There must be a reason everyone who ever wrote a great novel was an alcoholic, right? There's gotta be something there.

I think it was probably the whole depression thing that lead to that though.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Haven't written any essays since last semester (5 months ago lolz xD) but i remember that of all the eight 4 pg papers and 10 pg research paper i wrote, i never got less than a 95%. It's funny too because one, i'm a Chemistry major and two, the essays were for a Religion class, and a class titled "Southern Gothic Fiction." The names don't do justice as to how interesting those classes are xD

Anyway whenever i get Writer's Block i just stop writing and go do something else. This happens a lot because i have a very short attention span.

Speaking of attention spans, i'm not sure how i got here. I swear that 2 minutes ago, i was studying for my Chem test tomorrow. -_-'
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I suck at writing about anything that isn't related to science. Usually I just procrastinate, panic, and half-assedly write something at 4 am.

Sometimes listening to music helps. I put the entire lyrics to A Change of Seasons in an essay once and I got the best grade ever in that class.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by guitarxo
I suck at writing about anything that isn't related to science. Usually I just procrastinate, panic, and half-assedly write something at 4 am.

Sounds like me, except I procrastinate on the science stuff too.

Motivation... how do you work?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Sounds like me, except I procrastinate on the science stuff too.

Motivation... how do you work?
You just do it. The key to doing homework and writing is to just do it.

The thing about writing is you have to actually write in order to accomplish it (this sentence sounds dumb when you think about it...and probably when you don't). Writing leads to other ideas; the more your write the more ideas you have. It's good to get something down, because then you have something to work with. You can either edit it down to size. Write more than you have to. It's better to cut stuff out than to try to fill up space. Or you can glean one or two points and build off that.

Also outline like crazy. Think of everything you can possibly say, write it down in some way, and then go. Shape your paper before you start writing--an essay is not the time to get all Faulkner on errybody. That gives you something to start with instead of just a blank Word document. That destroys a lot of writer's block.

I don't know how much sense this post makes. Basically what I'm saying is write, write, write, and then write some more.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
^ Oh yeah, I do just get on with it, but it's still a pain in the arse

RE the outlining things, I have a tendency to write too much. Working on it though - it's mostly just using too much filler unintentionally.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by element4433
You just do it. The key to doing homework and writing is to just do it.

The thing about writing is you have to actually write in order to accomplish it (this sentence sounds dumb when you think about it...and probably when you don't). Writing leads to other ideas; the more your write the more ideas you have. It's good to get something down, because then you have something to work with. You can either edit it down to size. Write more than you have to. It's better to cut stuff out than to try to fill up space. Or you can glean one or two points and build off that.

Also outline like crazy. Think of everything you can possibly say, write it down in some way, and then go. Shape your paper before you start writing--an essay is not the time to get all Faulkner on errybody. That gives you something to start with instead of just a blank Word document. That destroys a lot of writer's block.

I don't know how much sense this post makes. Basically what I'm saying is write, write, write, and then write some more.

Yeah I was gonna say something like this.

But I procrastinate on outlining too because that also involves writing
cat
Quote by Banjocal
^ Oh yeah, I do just get on with it, but it's still a pain in the arse

RE the outlining things, I have a tendency to write too much. Working on it though - it's mostly just using too much filler unintentionally.
Seriously. There's no such thing as too much. Write more than you have to, that way you can cut out the filler and have a better paper in general. I wrote a paper a last week that was supposed to be 1,200 words. I wrote closer to 1,600 and took out all the weaker stuff. The editing process is as important, if not more important, than the writing process. You can take a jumbled mess of ideas and information and form it into something good. Salvage some stuff, throw out others. I've written papers that I didn't know how to write by just writing everything I know about the subject. Then I was able to pick several points that were linked by something and that's the start. Then I copy/pasted some stuff, expounded on certain areas, added transitions, and I was done.

And you don't always have to write chronologically. Start with the body of the essay and then add a conclusion and introduction later, once you have a better idea of what your paper will be.

(I know this looks like it's aimed at just you cuz of quoting you and whatnot, but really it's for the entire thread)
Quote by guitarxo
Yeah I was gonna say something like this.

But I procrastinate on outlining too because that also involves writing
I lazily outline. Which means that I write down what I want to write about, but most of it is in my head; the outline is just a place keeper for ideas, that way I don't forget the points I want to make.. I've gotten better at it though. I used to never outline, but as I keep going they're getting more and more detailed.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano