I just got a Sterling ST51 condenser mic from eBay, and I'm probably going to get a Shure SM57 and SM58. I plan to record vocals and maybe my grand piano with the condenser, electric guitar with the dynamic mics, shouting vocals with the SM58. Then I'm getting an M-Audio FastTrack Pro to record it all. Obviously I don't plan on recording more than one thing at once. What else do I need? Two microphone stands and cables? A shock mount for the ST51?

I may also save up for Ableton or another DAW, unless there's a free one that would run on my MacBook and get the job done well enough.
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
The 57 works really well for guitars as well as snare. A 58 is a great live microphone for vocals but it's not got a lot of clarity for a studio mic. Saying that, I've not used it for shouting vocals before so I don't know how it would hold up in that situation.

A shock mount would be good for the condenser, stands would also be good for all the microphones.
I've not heard of Ableton before, I went straight for an mbox 2 mini that came with the industry standard Pro Tools. I would suggest that but having not seen Ableton before, I'll leave the comparing to you
Never under-estimate the importance of a decent set of monitors.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Reaper, it's $60 for a license, and free if you don't use it for profit.

Close. It's $60 for a license if you don't use it for profit.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Reaper:

$225 for commercial licences if you make over USD $20,000 off sales
$60 for comercial licences and you makes less than USD $20,000 off sales.

You get Reaper upgrades until v5.99.9
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Reaper:

$225 for commercial licences if you make over USD $20,000 off sales
$60 for comercial licences and you makes less than USD $20,000 off sales.

You get Reaper upgrades until v5.99.9

Do you know if they will still let you use Reaper for free after version 5.99.9?

I still haven't paid for it, I keep meaning to, but money is tight around here.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Do you know if they will still let you use Reaper for free after version 5.99.9?

I still haven't paid for it, I keep meaning to, but money is tight around here.

You need a new licences for v6. Idk if that means the whole free trail forever thing will still be intact. I just know from looking at the website. Current version is 4.10 as of September 30th, 2011

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php