Hey guys, i have a jackson rr5fr, and to me, it doesnt have the grunt and growl and isnt as heavy sounding as my edwards lp copy, doesnt seem to have as much sustain as well....is this because of the floyd rose?

im in the market for a rr1, but not sure if i should get the fr or rr1t...the floyd is not absalutley necessary since i have other guitars with fr, but was wondering, in terms of tone and playability, how would the rr1 compare with the rr1t?

Thanks
I'd say the biggest difference between a Jackson RR5FR and the Edwards LP is that the LP is made of mahogany. The FR definitely makes a difference, but the RR1T will not sound like your LP. Sustain? I'm not exactly sure, maybe somebody else can help you there, but the LP probably still has more wood than an RR1T (rather small body) so its sustain will probably still be greater. Though, I'm not entirely sure what the most important aspect of sustain is. Both have stoptail pieces, and both the Edwards JP and the RR1T should have high quality wood used.

One of the reasons I just bought a Jackson Kevin Bond model is because I'm deathly in love with RR's but I also love Mahogany guitars. Most RR's are made of alder and maple, and you can get grunt and growl out of it but it's not as easy to do as with mahogany guitars where they just kind of growl naturally.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 12, 2011,
Generally speaking, fixed bridges have better sustain than their tremelo counterparts; some say it is insignificant in comparison to very well setup & made tremelo guitars. In my opinion, if you have other guitars with tremelos and you care about sustain that much, get the RR1T.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
I did a sustain test once to see how dramatic the differences would be across several variables. I found string height to be a larger factor than most anything else. I'm sure wood quality, pickup output, and bridge type all played a role as well, but the sustain differences between 2 bridge types, or 2 woods types were almost negligible since tit was so small. The only consistent factory that significantly affected sustain was the string height.
Quote by W4RP1G
I did a sustain test once to see how dramatic the differences would be across several variables. I found string height to be a larger factor than most anything else. I'm sure wood quality, pickup output, and bridge type all played a role as well, but the sustain differences between 2 bridge types, or 2 woods types were almost negligible since tit was so small. The only consistent factory that significantly affected sustain was the string height.

Hence my love for high action
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by W4RP1G

Hm... I will keep that in mind, thanks!
thanks for all the replies guys! this forum kicks ass! i leave the computer for an hour and there's already awesome replies.

ok, point taken...can compare the lp with the rr5fr.

so how about tonal difference between rr1 and rr1t? anyone own or played both?

cheers
I haven't played either, unfortunately, but they will be nearly identical. They're made to the same specs with the same materials by the same people, the only difference is the bridge. It might make a slight difference to tone, but it'll be nearly unnoticeable.

If you don't mind either way, you might want to just get whichever one you can get your hands on soonest. A lot of USA Jacksons are hard to find in stock, and the shop will have to place an order, and you could easily be waiting a few months in that case.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I haven't played either, unfortunately, but they will be nearly identical. They're made to the same specs with the same materials by the same people, the only difference is the bridge. It might make a slight difference to tone, but it'll be nearly unnoticeable.

In my experience the tone difference between those two bridges is quite noticeable. The Floyd will really brighten up the sound, giving it a slight reverb naturally, with less overall chunk. I'd say it's as crucial to tone as the wood your guitar is made of.
thanks for the replies guys, the guitar will be purchased as a thrash metal machine, for thrash rhythmn as well as lead work, however i dont use the floyd much on my lead work, do you think the tom bridge would be better for the thrash rhythm since it would sound more chunky and the strings might feel a bit tighter and responsive to hit with the pick?

Thanks guys
Quote by my03
do you think the tom bridge would be better for the thrash rhythm since it would sound more chunky and the strings might feel a bit tighter and responsive to hit with the pick?

Well, I would say so, having used to be a huge FR fan but now am mostly against them, greatly preferring TOM bridges. I think they're more comfortable to play, sound better (this is subjective), and are more convenient.

Maybe some FR fans can share their thoughts, but to me, I've always thought that unless you know for sure that you want a FR, it's better to get a TOM-bridge guitar (especially since like you say you have other FR guitars). That's my opinion anyway, take it for what it's worth
Quote by fixationdarknes
Well, I would say so, having used to be a huge FR fan but now am mostly against them, greatly preferring TOM bridges. I think they're more comfortable to play, sound better (this is subjective), and are more convenient.

Maybe some FR fans can share their thoughts, but to me, I've always thought that unless you know for sure that you want a FR, it's better to get a TOM-bridge guitar (especially since like you say you have other FR guitars). That's my opinion anyway, take it for what it's worth

Yeah, it's all in your personal preference. I love FR guitars, even though I don't use it that much. I'm a big fan of the way it feels under my picking hand and the tuning stability of the double locking system - my Floyd'ed Jackson barely ever needs tuning and I like that.

Of course if you want to change tuning, it's a pain. Upsides and downsides.