Hi all

Thanks in advance, I know there's a lot of these posts. Ok, here's the deal... I'm looking for suggestions for a second guitar. The breadth of options is simply bewildering (worse even than amps!)

Current guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112V (Strat clone)
Current amp: Vox VT15 (will be upgraded too)

Budget: £400 ish (will go higher if worth it)

Music played: mostly modern rock (Foo's etc) Indie rock (Band of Horses), classic rock\metal (70\80s). No blues, no high-gain modern metal.

Ok, I'm essentially looking for a Les Paul \ single cut style guitar. I.e. one with a shorter neck scale to my Strat and a wider nut width.

Why an LP? Well, I'd like to simply upgrade with a second guitar that is different in style to the Strat. Also I think the LP neck qualities will be closer to my acoustic guitar (I'm learning classical guitar) and so swapping between two more similar guitars will be easier. Currently my Strat feels very cramped width-ways compared to the acoustic and my fingers get confused!

I have considered an Epiphone Les Paul, just not sure which one to get. I'm also open to alternative makes and models.

Many thanks!

AshersUK
Maybe take a look at Vintage guitars? Should be made in Korea, decent quality, good bang for buck guitars (going off of what people say about Agile's here. I've been told their similar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure you can get a Hagstrom Swede for 400 GBP. I bought one recently (with a hardcase) for $AUD 700, with an RRP of $1200, but prices here are so inflated. Even with the discount I probably could have bought one for cheaper overseas.

I have a bit of a review of it here; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482911

I should probably mention that the strap buttons are tiny and you'll likely want to buy some strap locks if you're going to be playing standing up at all.

If you have any more questions about it, ask away. I've definitely learnt things since making that thread so there's probably something you'll want to know that isn't mentioned.

EDIT: The guitarist (not Dave) from the Foo Fighters plays Hagstrom.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 12, 2011,
If your hand feels cramped because of width, you're out of luck. Classical guitars have massively thick, wide, and often square necks.

At first, switching between them will feel like switching between a Fiat hatchback and an F-350, but you'll get used to it eventually.
Do you have a budget for your amp, too, or are you planning on upgrading that later?

Quote by Pac_man0123
If your hand feels cramped because of width, you're out of luck. Classical guitars have massively thick, wide, and often square necks.

At first, switching between them will feel like switching between a Fiat hatchback and an F-350, but you'll get used to it eventually.

The way I interpreted what he said was that he was more comfortable with the thicker, wider classical guitar neck, and that the thinner width of the Yamaha was 'cramped,' as in 'tight' or 'claustrophobic,' rather than it meaning pain in his hand. Should probably wait for clarification from the TS himself, though.
Sounds like TS wants a 50s neck...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's actually a Yamaha acoustic guitar, not strictly a classical guitar, I'm just having classical guitar lessons as I'd like to be able to read music fairly well (and it allows me play stuff that's sometimes easier on the ear).

So yes, I appreciate that no electric is going to be as wide a guitar as the acoustic, but I thought an LP-style would be closer to my acoustic than my Strat is... I thought this would make it easier swapping from one guitar to another. I feel like my fingers memorize a chord pattern on one and then it doesn't fit right when I swap over!

Also, I would like to buy a guitar a bit better than the Pacifica (which hasn't been bad I might add). The shorter neck scale is appealing for barre chords too (which I find tricky as I don't have huge meaty hands).

(As for amps, well, I have a similar budget, about £400. I have toyed with all sorts of models here. My short-list is a Vox Lil'Night Train, BlackStar-5, Egnater Tweaker, even considered a H&K Tubemeister 18 but it's a bit pricey for me).

I'll check out the Hagstrom's, thanks for that idea, I hadn't heard of them.

Out of the Epiphones, am I worth spending more than the price of an LP Standard (£329 in the UK or thereabouts). There's so many variations my mind is in danger of blowing a fuse (or valve!)

AshersUK
I had an epiphone g400 sg for a long time and it was able to cover a broad range of music. Fairly inexpensive too.