So my guitar teacher is offering me one of 3 les pauls. All Gibsons. All mint.
One is an appetite for destruction slash. but he wants 3300 for it, which is a bit out of my range. It is one of 600 distributed outside America or something I think

The other options are a Goldtop DC with p90s, which to me sounds amazing and I love every bit of it. he wants $2000 for it. Hardly played and they are about $3000 brand new here in AUS.
And the Final option, and second practical one, is A Les Paul standard traditional plus in see through wine red, which is pretty cool too.

The problem is the p90s. I love them for cleans and anything up too heavy rock, even a bit of metal. But the thing is, I dabble in the insaner bits of metal, like superdeathgrindtechprogcore, and sometimes the p90s aren't quite enough.
Anythoughts? I am very inclined towards the DC with p90s.
What do you guys reckon ?
Last edited by T7E at Oct 12, 2011,
If it were me i'd get the Slash

The traditional + are lovely guitars, how much does he want for it?

If you have a guitar that can already do heavier metal, then get the P90 guitar. Have a bit of variety.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
They have a Les Paul Traditional Plus (in transparent wine red) where I work and its easily the most attractive and best sounding guitar we have in store. Massively versatile and tonnes of sustain, I plan on getting it once I have enough cash saved
If i were able to, i'd definitely go with the Goldtop with the P90 pups.

Straight up classy and can perform in ever situation. Live, Studio, Jams... definitely the Goldtop...
Quote by Jackie Lawless
If i were able to, i'd definitely go with the Goldtop with the P90 pups.

Straight up classy and can perform in ever situation. Live, Studio, Jams... definitely the Goldtop...

this
Jebus prices in Australia never cease to amaze (& horrify) me! IF you buy used out of country do the same taxes still apply?
Moving on.....
yeah the goldtop is still on the way from america (stuck in customs). that teacher bought 5 guitars in 15 days lol he's quite happy to offload them. Im leaning towards the traditional now as I just found out it is coil tappable, which is a plus for me if I give up the p90s. He wants $2400 AUS for it. It is 7 days old. And to Capt_Clarkson above, it is the transperant wine red model
Quote by T7E
So my guitar teacher is offering me one of 3 les pauls. All Gibsons. All mint.
One is an appetite for destruction slash. but he wants 3300 for it, which is a bit out of my range. It is one of 600 distributed outside America or something I think

The other options are a Goldtop DC with p90s, which to me sounds amazing and I love every bit of it. he wants $2000 for it. Hardly played and they are about $3000 brand new here in AUS.
And the Final option, and second practical one, is A Les Paul standard traditional plus in see through wine red, which is pretty cool too.

The problem is the p90s. I love them for cleans and anything up too heavy rock, even a bit of metal. But the thing is, I dabble in the insaner bits of metal, like superdeathgrindtechprogcore, and sometimes the p90s aren't quite enough.
Anythoughts? I am very inclined towards the DC with p90s.
What do you guys reckon ?

Go for the P90s if you love it! A Goldtop DC is so sexy, too. Then get a proper amp. Even my SC Strats or Teles sound massive with the Diezel or Bogner or Mesa Boogie.

This MIJ Epi with P90s isn't quite in the same class as what you're considering, but it slays!

Get the Goldtop, install a SD stacked P-90 in the bridge with a push-pull switch to flick it between series and either split or parallel wiring, your taste. That way you get the true P-90 tone and you've got a hotter, thicker tone for distorion when you need it. Plus goldtop with P-90s is a great look and the fact it's the double cut version means it's going to have far better fret access which I imagine is important to you if you ever play any kind of metal lead.
Get what suits your needs. If you are playing really heavy stuff, and are serious about it, the P90s may not cut it. The typical metal tone found in hardcore and other really heavy types of metal are unique to humbuckers. I have a gibson studio with P90s and a peavey 6505 combo, and the P90s, while able to get really heavy tone on the amp, do not have the same metal tone typically found in a humbucker.

So basically, the P90s can do metal, but its not the typical metal tone. Whether thats ok with you is the question.