I've noticed that if you leave out the m3rd of a tonic chord ending a minor progression it sounds more final, much more resolved. I really like the effect.

Is this cheating? Is it okay to end a piece on a dyad (not a proper chord) or will the music police get me?
i think you can probably do what you want, your safe... for now. maybe the tonic is in the chord your playing somewhere which is why it might sound final
That's because you'd be ending on a a fifth and root, fifth is a perfect interval as opposed to minor or major, making it much more stable
I always leave out the 3rd because it's easier for my ears to adjust to it
It all depends on voicing I guess, different instruments make it sound slightly different
if it sounds good, it sounds good

we haven't heard the piece and don't know the progression, so we're going by your judgment that it sounds complete, which is all that matters at the end of the day.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The fact that you're thinking makes you a musician.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Often in classical music the minor third is replaced by a major third for that more conclusive cadence. It's known as a Tierce de Picardie.

By leaving it out altogether, you are achieving the same effect, as the listener's brain will almost tend to fill in the third as they so wish with their imagination. Nothing wrong with doing that whatsoever.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
As long as you have the octave on top of the open fifth it's a complete chord (3 notes = chord) and you'll be fine.

7th chords don't exist?
You don't even need a fifth, to be honest, but I'd recommend it, like mishax92 said.
really jazz rock? :/ i dunno about that, but as for ending without a 3rd, it's basically because of equal temperament and shit, a 3rd is always slightly out of tune, particularly a minor, leaving it out altogether will mean the last chord can sound more resolved as it doesn't have this dissonance.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wait... this thread IS a joke right? I totally thought so, with the music police and all that... My response was not serious in any way.

No idea dude, but it looks like a "power chords = chords?" or "power chords = major/minor?" thread.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wait... this thread IS a joke right? I totally thought so, with the
music police and all that... My response was not serious in any way.

haha shit i thought the end of it was a joke, but the rest was serious?!

xioaxi got banned?!?!?!
Quote by Xiaoxi the banned chink
BEING BANNED WILL NOT STOP ME FROM ARRESTING YO CRIMINAL ASS

Yep
Check out my band Disturbed