When do you get to the point where you realize that going to University is not on your path to the afterlife? When? After the continuous days in the library and the highest grade in a class is a B? Even after you religiously go to class rain or shine, work, then go to the library until it closes til two, then continue working long into the night? How many Red Bulls does it take? How many days on days on days where you don't learn anything in class, but it turns into the same monotonous thing day in and day out??? I cant keep doing this anymore. I'm a zombie. **** my life I don't know what to do. I have a great job, i know its just retail, but its a job, something most people don't have in this country. Gah, I'm just tired of racking up debt to waste my life away in a classroom that i don't get anything out of....
Quote by mullet1337
Holy ****. **** you. You ****ing ****.
If you're a freshman stick it out at least for a few more semesters to see if it is for you. College isn't for everyone though.
Dude I'm a junior...............
Quote by mullet1337
Well you should stop now. Most of the time whatever courses you take are a good view on what the career would be like. Except for general ed courses. If you don't like it now you probably won't like it after you're certified either. What are you studying btw?
Quote by metaldud536
Well you should stop now. Most of the time whatever courses you take are a good view on what the career would be like. Except for general ed courses. If you don't like it now you probably won't like it after you're certified either. What are you studying btw?

History and religion. I love the subjects, im just not getting anywhere or anything out of a college setting.
Quote by mullet1337
Quote by footsteps7173
History and religion. I love the subjects, im just not getting anywhere or anything out of a college setting.

What about majoring in something where you can actually get real skills and a better job?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
What about majoring in something where you can actually get real skills and a better job?
Yeah, and get a haircut, hippy.
How many years do you have left? If you are over the halfway mark and still enjoy the subjects then why quit? I think you're problem is balance, you seriously need to find a balance between work and play otherwise you won't make it. I might not have had straight A's in university but I enjoyed it. Not everybody can be top students, as long as you know you did your best without sacrificing too much of life.
Quote by stonyman65

The "Y U NO MAJOR IN MATH AN FISIKS?" crowd enters.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
The "Y U NO MAJOR IN MATH AN FISIKS?" crowd enters.

To be fair, it's not a completely moot point. It is a little irrelevant though considering the problem here isn't about his job after college, but just getting through it.
Dude in first year I studied hard, didn't party much and only managed a "B" average. I then started drinking and partying more and still managed a "B" average lol

Try writting a paper last minute and see how it goes lol I wrote a 12 page essay the night before it was due and still pulled off a decent grade somehow
Last edited by Steel8909 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by footsteps7173
but its a job, something most people don't have in this country. .

wat.

I didn't know the unemployment rate was that high!
Quote by blake1221
That struck me as just a biiiiit paranoid.

Why?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
To summate his logic:

>kids go to college
>college expensive
>kids get loans to pay for college
>kids realize they're going to have to pay back loans
>kids switch majors to potentially fiscally beneficial majors
>IT'S A BLOODY CONSPIRACY TO STOP THE THINKERS
Last edited by blake1221 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by footsteps7173

History and religion. Well maybe I will sound uninformed about this but I don't see why you would go to college for that. Those are subjects you can easily read about in your local libraries or online.

You said you're not getting anything out of your classes so I don't know what you mean by this? You don't enjoy writing essays? Are your professors not teaching you properly? The classwork too hard? Are your classmates douches?
Quote by blake1221
To summate his logic:

>kids go to college
>college expensive
>kids get loans to pay for college
>kids realize they're going to have to pay back loans
>kids switch majors to potentially fiscally beneficial majors
>IT'S A BLOODY CONSPIRACY

He's not talking about a conspiracy. He's talking about the ideological underpinnings of the political party's who've pushed for tuition fees and how that results in a natural limit on education in subjects which aren't necessarily going to be profitable. Ie, how education becomes something which should financially benefit people who undertake tertiary education, forcing people out of degrees which aren't financially beneficial. Or the ideological value that's instilled where the only purpose of education should be to earn money.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by jetfuel495
Sour milk sounds nasty. But fried Oreos... Deep fried Oreos...

I can dig it.

Sour milk -> yogurt

just don't let anyone jizz in it
cat
Sounds like you're stressed. By the look of what I'm reading you've overworked yourself.
You shouldn't really be spending too much time revising.

Think of knowledge like food; too little and you starve, too much and you regurgitate it back out. You seem to be falling into the latter category, you're giving your brain WAAAY too much to work with and it can't keep up with it.

Take a break every now and then.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by dann_blood
He's not talking about a conspiracy. He's talking about the ideological underpinnings of the political party's who've pushed for tuition fees and how that results in a natural limit on education in subjects which aren't necessarily going to be profitable. Ie, how education becomes something which should financially benefit people who undertake tertiary education, forcing people out of degrees which aren't financially beneficial. Or the ideological value that's instilled where the only purpose of education should be to earn money.

He directly states it was a deliberate action by higher-ups to push these kids in a certain direction, specifically to stop the "thinkers." That strikes me as conspiracy-esque.

I don't think that ideal is being instilled, I think it's just becoming apparent to the students that they WILL have to pay back their loans, and are trying to take subjects that can alleviate the incoming pressures of debt.

They're not very good students if they can't discern that money isn't the sole purpose behind education. It is a safer bet, however, but that's how it has always been. People who are really interested in the arts should prepare themselves for the risks inherent in going into a field where money isn't a guaranteed prospect.
Quote by blake1221
To be fair, it's not a completely moot point. It is a little irrelevant though considering the problem here isn't about his job after college, but just getting through it.

I think your "Either do something to improve the quality of your life or kill yourself" argument would fit in here perfectly.

TS if you don't want it, quit. If you DO want it, don't quit. No one's forcing you to stick around, and if there is someone forcing you (i.e. parents, friends, terrorist holding a gun to your head etc.) then you should know there's no point doing something as big as Uni for someone else's sake. If you can't decide, make a list of pro and cons or some shit.

Reminder: You get better jobs with a college degree.

No pressure.
Quote by blake1221
He directly states it was a deliberate action by higher-ups to push these kids in a certain direction, specifically to stop the "thinkers." That strikes me as conspiracy-esque.

Given that the Tories have made drastic cuts to social services (including huge cuts to local libraries), cut education funding (as well as proposing changes so that graduates with a degree in teaching get paid below minimum wage for a probationary period of time), refused to collect billions of pounds worth of tax from major corporations, passed legislation to privatise the NHS, attempting to repeal Human Rights legislation, the deployment of dodgy police tactics such as kettling against school-aged protestors, and the frequent rhetoric of class warfare, it doesn't strike me as particularly surprising. As he mentioned, the view of vocational education is seen as a luxury.

I don't think that ideal is being instilled, I think it's just becoming apparent to the students that they WILL have to pay back their loans, and are trying to take subjects that can alleviate the incoming pressures of debt.

So in other words they're not studying the stuff they actually went to study, and instead are studying things which will benefit them financially.

.... so, that's basically the same way most value's begin to be ingrained into the collective consciousness.

They're not very good students if they can't discern that money isn't the sole purpose behind education. It is a safer bet, however, but that's how it has always been. People who are really interested in the arts should prepare themselves for the risks inherent in going into a field where money isn't a guaranteed prospect.

Of course they're aware of that. Throwing tens of thousands of pounds of debt on top of that is going to have an obvious adverse effect on whether they actually choose to undertake the study, because regardless of their job prospects post-education they're going to be saddled with debt. All of which past generations didn't have.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Holy ****, mind=blown.

Never knew fried oreos exists. brb going to make some fried oreos

That's the greatest part of the Houston Rodeo: DEEP FRIED ERR'THANG!!

(apart from the music of course.)
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by Weaponized
wat.

I didn't know the unemployment rate was that high!

It's probably not, just lazy teenagers.

The unemployment rate in the UK just hit a 17 year high, coupled with the way they're now taking the economy it will only get worse, the poverty line is falling (more people technically living in poverty) and University entry requirements going up.
Try to be at least a bit optimistic, bro. You only live once.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
It's probably not, just lazy teenagers.

The unemployment rate in the UK just hit a 17 year high, coupled with the way they're now taking the economy it will only get worse, the poverty line is falling (more people technically living in poverty) and University entry requirements going up.
Try to be at least a bit optimistic, bro. You only live once.

Unemployment is around 9% nationally, that means 1 in 11 people are unemployed which is way too high a number.
Quote by High&Mighty
Am I the only one who finds the picture of fried oreos gross?

Me 2. Looks like someone ejaculated on them.
TS, Are you not happy with your classes or is it more about Uni life?

If you are not happy with your classes it might be a good idea to check out other majors before giving up.

On the youtube vid. I agree with Stewart Lee on the whole people not giving an intrinsic value to arts. I thought that was only a problem developing countries had, then again the government here isn't too happy funding any public education at all.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Thanks for all the input yesterday guys. I had read a few then met with my adviser and we talked for about two hours. I don't know why, but I had just cracked under some of the things I've gone through. She made it a point to schedule a meeting like that every two weeks.

Appreciate it guys.

And i went and deep fried some oreos last night. Delish. With FRESH whole milk. lol
Quote by mullet1337
Quote by captaincrunk

wow... "most people don't have a job in this country"...

You're so dramatic.
County! I meant county damnit!!!
Quote by mullet1337