My friend wants to sell me his $800 jackson dinky for like 400 because he is shipping out in july and wants some cash, and he was primarily a metalcore/deathmetal guitarist and i sometimes like to play heavy stuff but i also like to play some soft indie rock or pop punk every now and then so will this guitar be suitable to play well with all genres? it has emg 81's nomnomnom. but anyway my concern is that it seems to be a balls out metal set up and i wont be able to play other stuff is this true?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Lies. Run it through the right amp and it'll do anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Lies. Run it through the right amp and it'll do anything.

I will be playing it through a pretty good combo amp, a Behringer GMX100 75watt with like 100fx
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
I will be playing it through a pretty good combo amp, a Behringer GMX100 75watt with like 100fx

... I call your idea of a good amp in to question. But whatever, point is if the amp can get the tones you want then the guitar will be fine.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
... I call your idea of a good amp in to question. But whatever, point is if the amp can get the tones you want then the guitar will be fine.

im a beginner im not going to go out and pay thousands of dollars for a halfstack head cab that kind of stuff.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
+1 to Zaphod. If you can get your amp sounding how you want, then it'll be grand.

I think the standard Jackson pickup loadout of SD JB and Jazz/'59 makes them far more versaitile than people give them credit for. So many people see the pointy headstock and dismiss it for anything except metal, but my DK2M could easily handle nearly any style.

It's just that I probably couldn't play it well enough to pull it off.

The EMG loadout will be considered a little less versatile and 'metal only', but if I remember right, they were originally designed for jazz players anyway.
I once used a Jackson V to play Wildwood Flower. The ghosts of Randy Rhoads and Mother Maybelle Carter made my walls bleed for a week.
I'm a firm believer in that any guitar will be able to handle any style. I can play metal just fine with my Stratocaster, even though it has singlecoils, and I get a really good clean tone with my Ibanez Xpt700, even if it looks like a cylon mothership and has DiMarzio D-Activators, which are really hot pickups.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Cloudkicker
im a beginner im not going to go out and pay thousands of dollars for a halfstack head cab that kind of stuff.

You can get a better amp than you already have for less than $300.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Guitars that can't work well for most genres are in the minority. If you play well and adjust your settings then mostly any guitar can play mostly any genre without anyone saying anything.
a common misconception is that the guitar is the main variable in the sound produced. in actuality it has more to do with the effects and amp u use.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by Cloudkicker

I played a GMX210 and a Jackson Kelly for a few years. the only thing it could do was metal, and it didn't do it that well (because of the amp.)

Then I bought a Blackstar (an actual good amp) and it could do anything except for cleans. I blame the pickups. They weren't too hot or anything, and the wouldn't clip, but they were really dull and flat on the clean channel. Any sort of overdriven rock or blues tone or any distorted tone was great though.

As just about everybody here will tell you, most of your tone is in your amp. I normally like to add to that by saying 'you can do basically anything with the right amp, unless you have shit pickups.' Of course, the Jackson didn't have shit pickups, they were just not very suitable for a diverse range of clean tones. Probably good enough for cleans in metal and rock songs, but don't expect to play much blues or jazz with it.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 12, 2011,
I have a Jackson and run it through a Fender Hot Rod Deville and a Green Rhino OD and it does a great job of doing cleans, 60's rock, classic rock, into metal. Jacksons will do it all for you with the right pickups and amp.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I personally would not be bappy playing EMGs for anything but metal. Perhaps a 60 in the neck would be ok, but not an 81 or an 85. I know they were designed for Jazz initially, but EMG cleans just sound less lively to me than a Paf style pickup. Even the IBZ/USA F2 in my Ibanez sounds better for cleans than an EMG 81. I don't even want to think about an 81 in the neck, that's just a bad idea.
^ +1

While I don't hate EMGs, I only really like them for metal (talking about the 81 and 85 here, the single coils are different).

I mean... jackson guitars are more aimed at heavier stuff, but if you put versatile pickups in them they'd be as versatile as any other guitar, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, it comes down to one thing. How you play. The amp, guitar, and pickups all have an effect on the tone, but it really just comes down to what YOU play and what your personal style is. Sure, a Jackson loaded with active EMG's will probably give you a better base for metal-style tones, but it only really matters how you play it, and how much distortion you crank through your amp. I've seen people play classical, mellow jazz, and bubblegum pop through BC Rich Warlocks and Jackson Rhoads. On the flipside, I've seen some wicked heavy Death Metal and Thrash played on Telecasters, Strats, and various Danelectro guitars.

TL/DR: Yes, it's easier to get a heavier tone through guitars spec'd for Metal, but by no means does the guitar dictate your playing style. If it's comfortable, and you like it, play it.
dont forget to use your volume nob on the guitar, that will really help in cleaning up the emgs, thats what i do with mine when i play clean
See my sig.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
play much metal on a hollow jazzbox?

I think it's important to have the right style of guitar too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jpnyc
I once used a Jackson V to play Wildwood Flower. The ghosts of Randy Rhoads and Mother Maybelle Carter made my walls bleed for a week.

This is sooo sigged
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-50
Boss ME-70
Dunlop GCB95(Red Fasel)
Ibanez RG8BK
PodHD300

Rest Easy Gooze

Quote by jpnyc
Everyone talking about EMGs: All an EMG is (or any active pickup for that matter) is a very low output passive, with a compressor and a high and low pass filter built-in. It's the same as having a low output passive then having a compressor and a high and low pass filter on an EQ first in your chain.

TS: The guitar doesn't really matter as much as you think it does, and the EMGs will do just fine. Definitely get a better amp though. I'd definitely recommend a Roland Cube 40XL or a used Line 6 Flextone.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

just...look at the pickups they use for the most part, its the Jb and 59..... the names obviously not directed towards metal
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Dave_Mc
play much metal on a hollow jazzbox?

I think it's important to have the right style of guitar too.

One could, if they were so inclined. Run a hollowbody into a 6505, and you're going to get metal. Run an X shaped guitar into a Fender, and you're going to get blues/jazz. The type of guitar won't ever change that. Those are really extreme examples though.

Again, if one was so inclined. Of course they'd look really weird doing it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Twistedrock

TS: The guitar doesn't really matter as much as you think it does, and the EMGs will do just fine. Definitely get a better amp though. I'd definitely recommend a Roland Cube 40XL or a used Line 6 Flextone.

selling my flextone if interested btw
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Offworld92
One could, if they were so inclined. Run a hollowbody into a 6505, and you're going to get metal. Run an X shaped guitar into a Fender, and you're going to get blues/jazz. The type of guitar won't ever change that. Those are really extreme examples though.

Again, if one was so inclined. Of course they'd look really weird doing it.

you'd get a ton of feedback, presumably

I still say the guitar matters.

I mean, I can run in normal shoes, but I can run better in trainers. Similar thing with guitars.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you'd get a ton of feedback, presumably

I still say the guitar matters.

I mean, I can run in normal shoes, but I can run better in trainers. Similar thing with guitars.

I agree with this. Some guitars are made with a specific tone in mind, others the tone is just a byproduct of it's construction and components. Either way, the guitar may very well be made for a style of play.

Pickupss, fretboard radius, high fret access, fret size, tone woods, bridge/tremolo functionality, all things that are taken into consideration when playing a particular style. Exceptions exist, but many people use a certain type of guitar for their style.
exactly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?