Hi to all,

I am going to buy a CV tele here in a few weeks for about $300, I have $400, so after buying the guitar I will only have (after tax) about $60 which is defiantly not enough for a quality amp, so I need a temporary amp to last me until my birthday in 5 months when I can get a good amp. I was looking at smokey and honeytone brand mini amps and pignose's 7-100 amp, Will any of these work for me? I don't care a wit about distortion, it's just not my thing. If you know of other brands/models that are good please let me know.

Thanks

Rachel
Decked out with a First act cheep $30 guitar and included blue pick .
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I heard that once you add a cab the vox it sounds bad. I like the Vox, just wasn't sure the tone was good. Pignose sounds pretty sweet from the YouTube videos. Not sure about the peavey, sounds interesting.
i have the amplink kit thing for my ipod and its actually pretty good. you can buy new amps and pedals on it if you wanted too. most of the amp sims sound pretty good and everything is quite usable. the free demo comes with a peavey valveking sim and a 4x12/2x12 sim.

on the mini amps tho thats the story with those little amps as soon as you turn it up past .1 they sound horrid. i cant speak for the pignose but i had a fender mini blonde for a deployment and i chose to play my guitar without it. it was that bad lol the vox ampplug things have pretty good sound for what they are.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Well for those mini amp things (I'm not a huge fan of them), I'd say have a look at Marshall or Vox. Both are pretty good. If your budget was a bit bigger you could look at the Roland Cube 15X. Worth the cash for sure.
I agree with mielieHobo. I think a Roland Cube would be your best bet.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Fender makes decent mini-amps too. The thing with mini-amps is that they don't really have anything resembling a clean tone. Something to keep in mind.
if you can pull together $125, then get a micro cube.

it's got good effects, is also battery operated, for busking.
and is something you will use for years even after getting
a real amp.

if you REALY REALLY only have $60, then look used.

any 10-15 watt amp will be better than a micro amp.

call GC see what they have used. dont spend more than $30 on it.
find one you can live with.

the micro amps have tiny speakers.
so getting one because it's "fender or marshall" is dumb.
they are all limited because of the toy speaker.

the honeytone is the best of them because it is the cheapest.
and doesnt sound as bad.

vox plug ins and headphones are another option.
if you want to do the headphone thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You should be able to hit up a local pawn shop for a cheapo amp, also.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
I can afford a Roland for sure, I just like the look of those minis, and the price just sets it all off. I heard really good things about the smokey/pignose so I thought either would be a nice cheap option instead of the Roland. What about the orange pix and vox da5 or vox mini 3, any good? Thanks for the replies.

Rachel
Quote by StarsandGuitars
I can afford a Roland for sure, I just like the look of those minis, and the price just sets it all off. I heard really good things about the smokey/pignose so I thought either would be a nice cheap option instead of the Roland. What about the orange pix and vox da5 or vox mini 3, any good? Thanks for the replies.

Rachel

of all of them, imo the roland micro cube is the best.

the smokey is a tiny tiny speaker, and the pignose is a one trick pony.

the da5, imo doesnt have as good fx as the cube and ive never tried the vox mini 3
or the orange pix.

but the little orange amps have been crap so far.
and the mini 3 might still need to prove itself.

the micro-minis are all toys.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I just found a used Roland for $75 with shipping, is it a good deal?
Microcube is a cool wee toy to have. I agree with jen.
Quite like mine.
The metal sounds aren't the best due to the 6 inch speaker but a lot of the other sounds are surprisingly very usable!
I don't much care for any of the channels after Brit combo. I think I'm going to have to jump on the used one for $75. I'm getting the amp before the guitar, talk about jumping the gun, lol.

Rachel
Quote by StarsandGuitars
I don't much care for any of the channels after Brit combo. I think I'm going to have to jump on the used one for $75. I'm getting the amp before the guitar, talk about jumping the gun, lol.

Rachel

is it a micro cube or a different roland model...

will make some difference.

plus you'll probably want to try it to make sure the speaker is good.
unless you trust the seller.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It's a micro cube. I found it on eBay, the guy has 100 percent feedback. He says it's in great condition and the picture looks good. For $75 I don't expect greatness but I don't think it will be crap. I don't think I can haggle GC down on the price that far. Whats the best deal you guys have got from GC through bargaining?

Thanks

Rachel
oh for a cube? they wont go lower than $125.

GC doesnt haggle on new starter gear.
it's sort of a set price.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What about on the Vibe tele, do you think I can get them down $50-$70 on that? I know they were offering $45 off it last week.
I was just thinking that a new fender mustang 1 is only $99 is it better then the cube? What about the vox valvetronix? I really care about clean tone. Can I get better sound from either or just stick with the cube?

Thanks
Rachel
the pignose is good.

all of ry cooders recording has been done on one.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by StarsandGuitars
What about on the Vibe tele, do you think I can get them down $50-$70 on that? I know they were offering $45 off it last week.
I was just thinking that a new fender mustang 1 is only $99 is it better then the cube? What about the vox valvetronix? I really care about clean tone. Can I get better sound from either or just stick with the cube?

Thanks
Rachel

if you're all about clean, vox is usually better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i recently sold a roland cube 15 for $60, so look around. I actually regret getting rid of that for the peavy vypyr 15.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
i recently sold a roland cube 15 for $60, so look around. I actually regret getting rid of that for the peavy vypyr 15.

well the cube 15 generally goes for less than the micro, because it has less features.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So I found a vox vt15 on eBay for $100. the guy has 100 percent feedback. It comes with the box and manual and he says it's only 6 months old. Good deal?
Here's a link to the sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-VT15-VALVETRONIX-AMP-LIGHTLY-USED-W-ORIGINAL-BOX-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/160663927675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256850fb7b#ht_980wt_83

Thanks
Quote by StarsandGuitars
So I found a vox vt15 on eBay for $100. the guy has 100 percent feedback. It comes with the box and manual and he says it's only 6 months old. Good deal?
Here's a link to the sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-VT15-VALVETRONIX-AMP-LIGHTLY-USED-W-ORIGINAL-BOX-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/160663927675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256850fb7b#ht_980wt_83

Thanks

did you get it?

those are cool for the price too.

i love how dedicated you are about this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62