Hey dose anybody know how to get the bass sound from korn, I've been trying to find out how to do it but it's just not working out. If anyone knows can you please help me.

Thanks
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Roll the mids off completely, low action, slap quite hard, but not overtly hard. If you want to do it properly, it does involve a compressor mic at some point as well.

This. He also slaps near or even on the neck.
pinga
and has a $3000 bass and a similarly expensive rig if I remember from the last time this was asked.

best you can do is what's been said EQ and play similarly as possible
I remember in 97 or 98-ish when Korn was blowing up and every local show had some band coping the rap-metal thing (this was before the term nu-matal was coined). It was a strange time.

I remember:

Ibanez SR and BTB 5 strings...

Trace Elliot and Peavey amps with the mids extremely scooped (smily-face EQ)...

7 string guitars...

whisper-talk vocal parts...

synchronized jumping up and down parts after the above mentioned whisper-talking...

beanies pulled down over their eyes...

size 87 Jnco jeans...

eyebrow rings...

the stink of blueberry Phillies Blunts...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
I remember in 97 or 98-ish when Korn was blowing up and every local show had some band coping the rap-metal thing (this was before the term nu-matal was coined). It was a strange time.

I remember:

Ibanez SR and BTB 5 strings...

Trace Elliot and Peavey amps with the mids extremely scooped (smily-face EQ)...

7 string guitars...

whisper-talk vocal parts...

synchronized jumping up and down parts after the above mentioned whisper-talking...

beanies pulled down over their eyes...

size 87 Jnco jeans...

eyebrow rings...

the stink of blueberry Phillies Blunts...

ELL! OH! ELL!

Only in my small town, we are at least 5 years behind the rest of the world on everything, so this was 2002-2003 for me.
Quote by Din of Win
mids extremely scooped (smily-face EQ)...

In before, why can't I hear myself when I play with others, and I need a new 1000 watt amp.

That EQ will significantly alter your tone and presence, and without a lot of power you'll be hard pressed to provide more than a muted boom when you're not slapping. But then again it's what they do, but it goes with the whole super expensive rig.

Also din, why when I searched talk bass today about fender PA 135's did I see your name and you were selling your traynor head and bronco???
Quote by askrere
In before, why can't I hear myself when I play with others, and I need a new 1000 watt amp.

Yes, rolling off the mids completely will kill your presence. Personally I only scoop the low mids and leave the high mids like on 7. But I don't even like Korn, so I can't be sure if that'll get you close to their bassist's tone.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by askrere

Also din, why when I searched talk bass today about fender PA 135's did I see your name and you were selling your traynor head and bronco???

Student loans + a room-mate suddenly moving = i need cash

The Gretsch has been getting my shortscale love since i bought it, and my GK heads get more use due to their DI. I've sold a BUNCH of bass stuff since the summer began. So... i'm down to 4: the active Ibanez CT 5; active ATK300 4 (the first bass i bought on my own in the 90's... i can't bring myself to sell it); the short scale Gretsch 4; and an SX short scale Jaguar (J/J). Amps: GK 400rb, GK 800rb and a Kustom200 amp. Cabs: A 4x10, 1x15 and 6x10. My pedal collection shrunk a TON... i think i've only kept about 12 (down from 50ish at this time last year).

Times is tough, my friend. :/

Also... Fender PA 135's are soooooooo amazing!! At a local used shop earlier this year; i talked a dude into buying one of those instead of the criminally over-priced Sunn 2000s he was looking at.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Student loans + a room-mate suddenly moving = i need cash

What's you're major?

I know, how much does a traynor go for btw?
the fender 135 was like $325, but he wanted to sell the speakers as part of it and vintage correct, and I really don't want them.