Hey guys, I'm planning on changing my guitar set up around a little bit. I try to play a nice range of music, so I'm sticking some regular 10s on my Ibanez, but I'm not sure on what to put on my ESP.

The ESP is gonna be used for a lot of heavy stuff, but (as it is a fixed bridge) I plan on changing between tunings every now and then. The highest tuning I wanna play in is D standard, but I'm interested in learning some In Flames stuff, maybe Parkway Drive etc. Which is generally in the C standard/Drop B area.

So um yeah, is this actually possible?

I don't mind a bit of string tension, as long as it isn't y'know, just too much. I love D'addario strings, and was planning on getting one of their heavy sets: EXL145 (12-54) or EXL148 (12-60).

Any advice would be awesome
Get a custom gauge. When you go thick like that the G sounds bad. You can purchase strings in any size you want on musiciansfriend guitarcenter etc. Get a WOUND g. Since you're looking at getting like a 22 or 24 gauge G, make sure you get a wound one. It will sound much better. And yes they are bendable don't worry
Ernie Balls do skinny tops /heavy bottoms, which would be good for drop tunings and heavier stuff but the unwound strings won't sound too bad
A similar idea is to get a 7 string set. You can do the same thing. Or just scrap the high e and have thicker 6 strings.
I would avoid anything like a 12-56 as the G would sound dead. 11-56 might be the answer (plain strings are from an 11 set and wounds are from a 12)
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Jacob<3Guitar
Ernie Balls do skinny tops /heavy bottoms, which would be good for drop tunings and heavier stuff but the unwound strings won't sound too bad

I use the heavy bottom strings from ernie ball for drop C on my LTD it sounds great and i could not be happier! i suggest u go with them
Dean Markley "Medium" sets are 11-52 gauge, and come with a wound and a plain G string, so you could get a set of those and see which one you fancy. I love the wound G, sounds much more full in my opinion.

You can get just about any of their strings in a "Medium" set, I use Blue Steel.
Thanks guys

Side question: why is there such a big difference between wound and unwound G-strings?

I've gotta say though guys, I really don't like Ernie Ball strings :P They just don't feel right when I've played with them, which is why I was edging towards some kind of D'addario set, every time I've use 'em they feel so sexy

Thanks again