SO my brother checked his bank account the other day and there was £150 in his account when he expected £50. He thought he had just done his maths wrong didn't think anything of it and spent the money. Today he got a letter through from the bank saying he owes them £170 for the money he took out and claiming it was his overdraft.

He doesn't have an overdraft set up with the bank, he stopped the overdraft over a year ago and asked for them to take the overdraft off his account just in case. He can't afford to repay them back and doesn't know what to do.

So my question is this, is the bank right for asking for the money back (with interest) when it was their fault for crediting his account this money?
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
I thought I had no money to my name but then I checked and I had 150 monies so I spent them all.
Now I have no money left to my name, is this the banks fault?

what a crazy world.
Last edited by CorvetteRick at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by kbabz22

He doesn't have an overdraft set up with the bank, he stopped the overdraft over a year ago and asked for them to take the overdraft off his account just in case. He can't afford to repay them back and doesn't know what to do.

If he cant pay it back he will get charged more interest until he can.
Quote by smokeysteve22
If he cant pay it back he will get charged more interest until he can.

That.
You can always sort it out later.

EDIT: Silly question, but he's contacted his bank right?
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by kbabz22
He can't afford to repay them back and doesn't know what to do.

Get a job? Talk to them and figure out a repayment plan? Ask family for help? Sell some stuff? Perform on the street? Prostitution?

It isn't exactly a huge debt...
Deny everything.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Silent Murder
That.
You can always sort it out later.

EDIT: Silly question, but he's contacted his bank right?

Knowing TS stupid brother, probably not.