ok first off, i mostly play guitar, but lately ive had a thing for bass. i just picked up a 5 string and the band i play with plays in drop d. right now i have it tuned adadg, but i want the low string in d, so dadgb. more like a guitar that im more familiar with. should i just swap strings or what?
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Just sit with it for 5 minutes and you should adjust just fine. If you get confused with ADADG, I can't see you fairing better with DAADG, especially if you string skip.

You could get a high C string, didcard the low B and tune DADGC.

Edit: Ignore that DAADG bit
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Oct 12, 2011,
Might need a new nut too. Then the usual truss rod adjustments, intonation, all that jazz. DADGC would be the more "correct" tuning, but whatever floats your boat, I'd be looking for a light gauge C string for your high B.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I have a 5 string that I record with that's in a similar tuning.

Mine's in CGCFA. I took mine to a local guitar shop, had new strings put on and he adjusted the truss rod to compensate for the increased tension on the neck. It's really an inexpensive process.

Give it a shot. I like my tuned that way, I get a chance to use all 5 strings on certain songs.
Get a heavier string for both your D and B strings, you might also need a new nut since a low D will require a smaller slot than a low B. For the ADG strings whichever gauge you use right now should be good
Professional lurker since 2009.
Ok, now I am confused. Isn't the point of a 5 string Bass to have that one lower string to avoid the need to alter the tuning of a 4 string Bass?

If you have your 5 string tuned to the standard BEADG, it shouldn't matter that the rest of the band is drop D tuned. To play a low D just use the 3rd fret on the B string.

I don't get all the whacked out tuning. Doesn't that just make playing songs more complicated?
^^ say your playing in Drop D and your riff revolves around 16th notes at 180bpm going
-------------8-------7----10-----7-8-10
0-0-0-0-0---0-0----0------0-0----------

Do you really think replacing the 0's with a 3 the B string would make sense for playability or simply just a retuning one string?

Tunings/setups etc. are all based around preference for style of playing. It's why there's alot of acoustic players that play open tunings and even slide guitarists. There is never going to be a right or wrong.

If i was the z28, Id definately rock the DGDGC tuning.
Quote by tofuhead

If i was the z28, Id definately rock the DGDGC tuning.

if you were the Z28, you would rock the iroc......sorry had to do it lol
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."