I know that these come up more often than some would like, but I have a few more questions that weren't addressed in some of the other threads. Sorry, though.

Line 6
I like what I've heard from the HD series. I'm a high gain player, but I enjoy nice cleans; and this unit offers both. My only question about these is which one: 300, 400, 500 or the Bean?

ZOOM
The only ZOOM pedal that interests me is the G3. I've seen a couple demos on Youtube, and is sounds awesome--again, particularly the high-gain stuff. Any thoughts on this one?

Final Notes:
I play high-gain
I don't use many effects
Budget: Depends on which unit does best, but probably <$400
Genre: Metal, Rock, Blues
Gigging: In college, hopefully--not guaranteed.
Area: Orlando/Palm Bay/Melbourne/Space Coast, FL
Current Gear: Sigged

Thanks!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
I use pod HD 300, lots of preset, fully-customizable tone, cab simulators, so you can just play well in headphones, on gigs, just plug into the PA.
Not sure how much you'll like going from a roadster to a HD300 Any reason that you can't/won't take your gear with you?

Maybe find a used vypyr 60 tube + sanpera?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Definitely the Line 6, it is much better sounding. Go with the Live version, the Bean is worthless, unless you never plan on changing patches on the fly. HD500 all the way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DarthV
Not sure how much you'll like going from a roadster to a HD300 Any reason that you can't/won't take your gear with you?

Maybe find a used vypyr 60 tube + sanpera?

Haha. I'm fully aware of that. It's just (1) the college reps that I talked to strongly advised against bringing an amp (just to avoid problems with neighbors and the housing dept), (2) transporting the equipment home and back would take a separate trip just for the amp/cabinet.

I did also consider a Vyper; I forgot to mention above, though. How's the headphone output on it?
Quote by MatrixClaw
Definitely the Line 6, it is much better sounding. Go with the Live version, the Bean is worthless, unless you never plan on changing patches on the fly. HD500 all the way.

What about the 500 justifies choosing it over the 300/400? I'm not challenging your judgment/opinion, I just want to get something that fits me and isn't overkill.
The hd500 has more flexiblilty; I.e., the 500 lets you run two amps at a time, which the lower units won't let you do, the 500 let's you have up to 8 effects running at the same time, it has the most footswitches, it has a bigger screen, it has more in's/out's... And many other features.

Check this out http://line6.com/pod/compare.html
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
The hd500 has more flexibility; I.e., the 500 lets you run two amps at a time, which the lower units won't let you do, the 500 let's you have up to 8 effects running at the same time, it has the most footswitches, it has a bigger screen, it has more in's/out's... And many other features.

Check this out http://line6.com/pod/compare.html

Yeah, I checked that chart out earlier. I'm not sure how much of a bonus the dual-tone feature is. Also, my actual pedalboard only has 6 pedals on it, and I'm usually only using one or two (three on some occasions--like clean stuff), so I wasn't sure if I needed the 8 effects slots.
Is taking your full rig really not an option? It'll make things easier if you do end up gigging. Taking a full head and cab to college isn't that much of a problem anyway, unless you get dick people around you.
Quote by telemetal
Is taking your full rig really not an option? It'll make things easier if you do end up gigging. Taking a full head and cab to college isn't that much of a problem anyway, unless you get dick people around you.

A lot of colleges don't allow amps. Furthermore, people steal shit, people break shit, and roomates are all too unreliable. Dorm rooms also tend to be small and there isn't much room for anything except furniture.
Fair point, guess it's a too much of a risk. Of what you've listed then, I'd look at the 500 as well.
^^Not just that, noise isn't even the issue with owning an amp in a dorm/apartment, it's the fact that it even IS an amp to start with, and the fact that it CAN make loud noise. His neighbors will get paranoid as shit and submit noise complaints without him even having to turn the damn thing on.
Yeah, Ian and Kenji pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'd love to take my full rig, but there are simply too many risks.
Why not a small tube amp? I've heard the blackstar HT-1 is pretty good for metal, never tried it though. And I doubt your neighbors would be paranoid of something a bit bigger than their hand.

Maybe not as versatile as the PODs but its a suggestion.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Vypyr 60 imo

Dual Rec model sounds pretty damn good, the headphones are a big plus (especially for a power tube amp) AND if you ever do want to crank it up and get the hair on your legs jumpin' you can do that too
Okay. Sounds like it's down to the HD500 and the Vypyr Tube (hopefully with a Sanpera II). I hope to make it to guitar center this weekend, so I'll make sure to weigh all my options. Thanks, guys!