What is the difference between alternate/economy/tremolo/hybrid picking, and what are the proper ways to do each of them? I've looked around here a bit, and couldn't find anything specific to these techniques.
Alternate picking: When you go down up down up down (and so on..) no matter what. Always having that motion.

Economy picking: When you pick in the direction your going. So if we say you pick 3 notes on the E string and then 1 on the A you would go Down up down down (instead of a normal down up down up alternate picking). Same if going up from the high e to the b like Up down up up.

Tremolo picking: This one im not sure about, but i think its just when your alternate picking one string pretty fast.
Quote by Sickz
Tremolo picking: This one im not sure about, but i think its just when your alternate picking one string pretty fast.

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's not in the same class of techniques as alternate and economy picking.
Quote by Sickz

Alternate picking as fast as possible. It's important to realize that this type of picking has no set rhythmic value in terms of note groupings.

Just go as fast as you can, and it's easier to do when using a heavy pick b/c it doesn't flex.

Edit: TS, there is a tremolo picking section in Time Is Running Out by Muse.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Alternate picking as fast as possible. It's important to realize that this type of picking has no set rhythmic value in terms of note groupings.

Just go as fast as you can, and it's easier to do when using a heavy pick b/c it doesn't flex.

Edit: TS, there is a tremolo picking section in Time Is Running Out by Muse.

Wrong. Tremolo picking is picking one note repeatedly at a speed of above 142bpm in order to achieve a certain effect. It does have a specific rhythmic value; it's supposed to be controlled and precise, not just spazzing your hand at it as fast as possible!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Alternate picking is picking that involves using strictly alternating down and upstrokes. It is a very common picking technique and the consistently alternating down-up pattern makes keeping time very easy with this picking style.

economy picking is similar to alternate picking in every aspect except for when changing strings. When changing strings, you continue in the same direction as the previous stroke to conserve motion. This requires you to be equally good at starting passages on upstrokes and downstrokes, since depending on the direction in which you wish to go, you may or may not have to start on a down/upstroke in order to perform the sweeping motion that is economy picking's signature.

Tremolo picking is an extension of alternate picking technique. Tremolo picking is often mistaken for spazzing one's hand out, although a true tremolo is far more controlled than spazzing allows for. Tremolo picking involves alternate picking very rapidly to create a shimmering effect on a note, if you will.
Alternate: Picking down, up, down, up, down, up, etc.

Economy: Mini-sweeping. For example, if you were playing C on the low E string (8th fret) and the next note was D on the A string (5th fret), pick both of them with one single motion. Instead of picking down on the C and up on the D, pick down on both. It's just another way to transfer from one string to the next. Some people find it easier than alternate, some people don't. But both have their own sound and uses.

Tremolo: This has almost nothing to do with picking style. It's just picking a note at a speed that achieves the tremolo effect.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by OINZgeetah
What is the difference between alternate/economy/tremolo/hybrid picking, and what are the proper ways to do each of them? I've looked around here a bit, and couldn't find anything specific to these techniques.

Apparently no one noticed this one...

Hybrid picking is a very simple idea: using your spare fingers to strike notes while still holding the pick. A lot of really terrifying guitarists use it to incredible effect, check out guys like Guthrie Govan, Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, Brett Garsed, Marshall Harrison (although ignore his 'lessons') and a lot of country and bluegrass players like Johnny Hiland. If you can get this skill under your fingers it's amazing what can be done with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Aleksi
Wrong. Tremolo picking is picking one note repeatedly at a speed of above 142bpm in order to achieve a certain effect. It does have a specific rhythmic value; it's supposed to be controlled and precise, not just spazzing your hand at it as fast as possible!

Sorry. I understand that it's controlled, and not sending your hand into a spasm. I can appreciate my post didn't come across that way. Sloppy post, I was tired.

Although I still stand by my comment about note groupings. When you see the /// sign in a piece of music, it indicates tremolo picking as we know. But it doesn't specify any subdivision of notes in a beat.

The only rhythmic value it has, is the actual duration of the tremolo picking.
Quote by mdc
Sorry. I understand that it's controlled, and not sending your hand into a spasm. I can appreciate my post didn't come across that way. Sloppy post, I was tired.

Although I still stand by my comment about note groupings. When you see the /// sign in a piece of music, it indicates tremolo picking as we know. But it doesn't specify any subdivision of notes in a beat.

The only rhythmic value it has, is the actual duration of the tremolo picking.

True and at the same time not, it's true that it has no notated rhythmic value but if you listen most tremolo picking does follow a standard rhythmic pattern - 16ths, 32nds, 16th triplets, whatever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
True and at the same time not, it's true that it has no notated rhythmic value but if you listen most tremolo picking does follow a standard rhythmic pattern - 16ths, 32nds, 16th triplets, whatever.

That's cool. I interpret it differently than everyone else I guess.

When I see that symbol, I don't think about what subdivision of notes it's going to be...but when it comes to the player actually executing it, that's when the notes will come out in the aforementioned subdivisions.

It's just the nature of whoever is playing it.
That's cool. I interpret it differently than everyone else I guess.

When I see that symbol, I don't think about what subdivision of notes it's going to be...but when it comes to the player actually executing it, that's when the notes will come out in the aforementioned subdivisions.

It's just the nature of whoever is playing it.

Tremolo picking is repeatedly picking one note so that you the effect is of a slight wavering in volume. It can be measured (ie, specific note groupings) or unmeasured. Most popular music nowadays is measured tremolo.
Quote by OINZgeetah

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

You must have looked really ****ing hard.
Its stickied, GUIDE TO ALL TECHNIQUES. Lets be honest, you didnt look at all.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.