All,

Is it possible to connect a BlackStar HT-5 Tube Guitar Amplifier Head or any other Head to a Line 6 IV 15 using the Input jack on the Line 6 or some other way?

I would like to use the speaker on the Line 6 as a sort of Cab/ Speaker for the Head.

I am just a bedroom type player. No gigs... So I guess I am doin it on the cheap. Volume is a concern...

Cheers!
Quote by droppedmybrain
no, dont do it.

lol Why? Sound quality, blow the speaker or other?
You can't without modifying the Spider. You'd have to disconnect the speaker and solder a cable with a 1/4" mono-jack to it - not a big deal, but it's a crap speaker, and will sound bad.
Don't plug the output of the HT5 into the input of the Spider, you could easily damage both of them. Doesn't the HT5 have a line-out/headphones-out or something along those lines? If so, you could connect that to the Spider's CD/MP3-jack, though it'd still sound like crap.
Quote by TheQuailman
You can't without modifying the Spider. You'd have to disconnect the speaker and solder a cable with a 1/4" mono-jack to it - not a big deal, but it's a crap speaker, and will sound bad.
Don't plug the output of the HT5 into the input of the Spider, you could easily damage both of them. Doesn't the HT5 have a line-out/headphones-out or something along those lines? If so, you could connect that to the Spider's CD/MP3-jack, though it'd still sound like crap.

So I guess the next question is what would be a good alternative to replace the Line 6?

I have a Zakk Wylde Chorus, ZW Overdrive, Boss MT-2 and Zakk Wylde Wha pedals. I play mostly Metal... Slayer, BLS, Megadeth stuff...

I have a Hagstrom Swede aXe.

I would like to use the pedal affects more and stuff away from the digital effects of the Line 6.

I play mostly in my basement but usually at around Vol. Level 1-3

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Quote by TheQuailman
What's your budget?

We what do you recommend in the $300 - $500 Canadian range and them from $500 - $800?

Cheers!
A Jet City JCA 2112 would be a place to start - does classic metal tones nicely for such a small amp. It also reacts well to boosting, so your overdrive would come in handy. The 2112 is a combo, but you can also purchase a head-version and pair it with a cab of your liking... that's dearer though, and unless you get a better cab than the standard Jet City model, likely not worth it.

Otherwise, look for a Traynor YCV50 - you may have to go used for this, it's worth it though. They're a Canadian brand, so the prices are pretty good in Canada. Traynor makes good stuff in general. This option is dearer than the JCA, but it's also a lot nicer.
Quote by TheQuailman
A Jet City JCA 2112 would be a place to start - does classic metal tones nicely for such a small amp. It also reacts well to boosting, so your overdrive would come in handy. The 2112 is a combo, but you can also purchase a head-version and pair it with a cab of your liking... that's dearer though, and unless you get a better cab than the standard Jet City model, likely not worth it.

Otherwise, look for a Traynor YCV50 - you may have to go used for this, it's worth it though. They're a Canadian brand, so the prices are pretty good in Canada. Traynor makes good stuff in general. This option is dearer than the JCA, but it's also a lot nicer.

Thats awsome! I really appreciate you takin the time to help me out!!

Cheers,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ew6C9TlWvU

My Jet city JCA2112RC boosted by an sd1. On its own its in 80s hair metal territory with a boost it can get pretty heavy for a 20 watter which you could use your zw overdrive for. They do have a new model coming out with a second heavier channel and fx loop which may be worth holding out for though.
Quote by coolstoryangus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ew6C9TlWvU

My Jet city JCA2112RC boosted by an sd1. On its own its in 80s hair metal territory with a boost it can get pretty heavy for a 20 watter which you could use your zw overdrive for. They do have a new model coming out with a second heavier channel and fx loop which may be worth holding out for though.

Thanks for the link! Good playin! Amp sounds good! Appreciate the feedback.

Any thoughts or these compared to a say ... the Peavey Vypyr 30?
It will sound better, but it depends on why you would be looking at a vypyr. Want lots of amp models and some effects + easy patch changing with the sanpera pedal? Then the vypyr would be better. Want exactly what the traynor or jet city offer and want to stick with stomp boxes? Then those valve amps will be better.

I'm also wrestling with what I want to change my setup and thinking about trying one of the tube powered Vypyrs to replace my 6505. Basically I want to find the best sounding gear for home volumes and I'm not convinced that my 6505 is giving me that. Once I get a chance to try out a Vypyr 60, I'll know. If the 6505 still sounds better at home levels, then I'll stick with that.

Where in Canada are you located? Have you check your local city (or province) on kijiji? Last week. I linked a couple decent deals for someone in Edmonton. There was a used Traynor YCV50 for $500 IIRC.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
It will sound better, but it depends on why you would be looking at a vypyr. Want lots of amp models and some effects + easy patch changing with the sanpera pedal? Then the vypyr would be better. Want exactly what the traynor or jet city offer and want to stick with stomp boxes? Then those valve amps will be better.

I'm also wrestling with what I want to change my setup and thinking about trying one of the tube powered Vypyrs to replace my 6505. Basically I want to find the best sounding gear for home volumes and I'm not convinced that my 6505 is giving me that. Once I get a chance to try out a Vypyr 60, I'll know. If the 6505 still sounds better at home levels, then I'll stick with that.

Where in Canada are you located? Have you check your local city (or province) on kijiji? Last week. I linked a couple decent deals for someone in Edmonton. There was a used Traynor YCV50 for $500 IIRC.

My goal is to rely more upon my stomp boxes so it sounds like staying away from the Vypyrs would be smart.

I checked the Traynor out YouTube and I like it but the Jet City sounds good too. the JC sounds a bit thinner but I think my ZW Overdrive and MT-2 would boost it up a bit?

If I can get a good deal on the Traynor then I think I would go for it. I really don't think I need to pay $795 at Long and McQuade for it as it might be overkill for someone who has only been playing 3 years.

I think the JC might be more in my price/ skill range and then later on as I improve I would upgrade.

My Line 6 IV 15 is just crap. It sounds bad. Even when I plug directly into it and bypass the stomp boxes. I wonder if my stomp boxes are too much for the 15 watt amp? It plays clean tones very well but any amount of Gain/ Distortion and it sounds bad. I have played with the volumes on the guitar and on the stomp boxes and it seem like I can only get to type of tones out of it. Too much or too little distortion...

I am located in Oshawa, ON, Canada.

Thanks!!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by RMB07
My goal is to rely more upon my stomp boxes so it sounds like staying away from the Vypyrs would be smart.

I checked the Traynor out YouTube and I like it but the Jet City sounds good too. the JC sounds a bit thinner but I think my ZW Overdrive and MT-2 would boost it up a bit?

If I can get a good deal on the Traynor then I think I would go for it. I really don't think I need to pay $795 at Long and McQuade for it as it might be overkill for someone who has only been playing 3 years.

I think the JC might be more in my price/ skill range and then later on as I improve I would upgrade.

My Line 6 IV 15 is just crap. It sounds bad. Even when I plug directly into it and bypass the stomp boxes. I wonder if my stomp boxes are too much for the 15 watt amp? It plays clean tones very well but any amount of Gain/ Distortion and it sounds bad. I have played with the volumes on the guitar and on the stomp boxes and it seem like I can only get to type of tones out of it. Too much or too little distortion...

I am located in Oshawa, ON, Canada.

Thanks!!

You wont need the mt2 dude.
Quote by coolstoryangus
You wont need the mt2 dude.

More then enough Distortion with the Amp and the ZW Overdrive ya reckon? lol
Quote by RMB07
More then enough Distortion with the Amp and the ZW Overdrive ya reckon? lol

Easily, and it'd also sound way better than your MT2. Same with the Traynor.

The other stuff on kijiji is also worth a look, but personally, the YCV50 is what I'd go for. It's a good amp with a good speaker that doesn't need any modifications to sound great, while some of the others imo do.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Easily, and it'd also sound way better than your MT2. Same with the Traynor.

The other stuff on kijiji is also worth a look, but personally, the YCV50 is what I'd go for. It's a good amp with a good speaker that doesn't need any modifications to sound great, while some of the others imo do.

Thanks All! I am gonna go inquire about Traynor and test it out.

Cheers!