I haven't done a build in awhile and I've been GASing hard for a Strat lately. Soo... I might try building one . I'm currently waiting on a check so I can buy new power tools (namely a table saw) and I've got some other projects lined up, so it would be at least a month or so before I could start.

I've got access to piles of lumber that's been air-drying since the 50's, everything is hard as a bone. I figured I might as well use some of this since it's unique and wouldn't cost anything. Also most of my tools date from the early 1900's, so the majority of this will be done by hand with period-correct tools. All of this comes courtesy of a rich family history that hasn't changed it's ways since they came over on a boat from Germany . If it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Specs
-Black Walnut body, standard contours
-Semi-curly Maple neck, medium/soft V-shaped, small Strat headstock
-Black Cherry fretboard, 22 frets 12" radius

Hardware
-B/W/B 11-hole pickguard
-American Std. pickups (S-S-S)
-Chrome Hardtail bridge

Now some questions. I'm not familiar with cherry as a tonewood, how would it balance out with a Maple neck and Walnut body? How thick is the blank for a Fender neck? I know the body is 7/4.. I'm open to all suggestions as well, give me some feedback and I'll change the design as I go along.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I've had a nice figured piece of cherry floating around for a little bit and I thought it would make a nice fretboard, it has the tightest grain I've ever seen in cherry and I'm almost positive it's old growth. You can look at the end of it and count about 30 growth lines per inch
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Never seen a cherry board before, but I'm sure it will look and sound really nice.

This build shall be epic.
Where's Waldo?
Would I need to finish the cherry, like a maple fretboard?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Not quite sure , hence my never seeing one before.

Just on a guess, I'd say no, but i'll wait until some wood connoisseur arrives.
Where's Waldo?
A buddy of mine had a guitar built for him before with walnut body, mahogany neck and cherry fretboard (a fat strat).

I've played it a couple of times at jamming sessions,and my opinion of cherry's tone was that it was a halfway house between the mid-rich sound of rosewood, and the brightness of maple.. Overall a very balanced, clear sound.. That's just my very limited experience with it anyways..

Good luck with the build, I'll be keeping an eye on this one
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
How did that Strat sound overall, if you can remember? I know the mahogany neck will sound different than a maple one... but how often do you come across a Walnut/Cherry Strat haha

I thought about this over night and had a few more questions haha

1. Black or Pearl dots? The cherry will darken over time and the black may not show up as well, but the pearl dots may not show up too well against the lighter cherry.

2. Hardware color? I thought about gold but I think it could look tacky with this build, and chrome doesn't look quite right

3. How would I go about making the roundover on the body's edges? Every build I've done was a flattop guitar where the top was perpendicular to the sides. I could do it by hand but I feel there's a better (and more consistent) way of doing it.

4ish. I might make this a 24.75" guitar, almost everything I own is the shorter scale and I feel more at home on them than I do on 25.5's. But... it's a Strat lol.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

1. Black or Pearl dots? Pearl, though Gold MOP should stand out quite well.

2. Hardware color? Black is never a bad choice

3. How would I go about making the roundover on the body's edges? JS style all the way

4ish. I might make this a 24.75" guitar, almost everything I own is the shorter scale and I feel more at home on them than I do on 25.5's. But... it's a Strat lol.
DO IT
Where's Waldo?
1. No dots.
2. Brass
3. Roundover bit.
4ish. Yeah do it.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
I done a few more layouts . Also I realized I forgot to put the input on the one in the OP

A. Black hardware, black knobs

B. Chrome hardware, black knobs

C. Black hardware, black pearloid

D. Gold hardware, black knobs

E. Gold hardware, black pearloid

F. Gold hardware, tortoiseshell

I'm liking the black hardware on the 3-ply guard, and the tortoiseshell has potential. I didn't consider Gold MOP, I'm gonna let that simmer awhile. It could be the right balance between light and dark to show up in both stages of the cherry's aging
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 14, 2011,
I think that the Black on Black is good, though I'm really starting to like the Black Pearloid.

Make a layout with the gold, maybe?
Where's Waldo?
Go with option D ^^

As for what my friend's strat sounded like overall...it sounded very full.. Kinda like...if a prs and a fender strat had a lovechild.. ?? :S It's hard to describe...certainly had more beef to the sound then a typical strat, more bass, more distinguished mids and tamer highs.

I reckon with a maple neck it'd be perfect (i liked the ballsy sound of my friend's guitar, but for a more traditional fender-type sound, I reckon the brighter tone of maple as apposed to mahogany might help you to get one hell of a nice tone). Just my opinion anyways, for what it is worth
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
gotta go B, rest of the options liik liuke they're trying to mix "metal" with classy stuff
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I swear everytime I look through those I change my mind on what looks the best haha. Now I'm kinda liking the gold hardware and think the black looks awkward. Since I'm keeping it close to a Strat I might stick with chrome..
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60