I wouldn't want to
4 2%
F[size=2]u[/size]ck the lottery!
7 4%
Duffman is a weirdo
6 4%
Voters: 171.
Page 1 of 3
I know what a stupid question, but thinking about it I wouldn't want to win big time in the lottery, and I'm pretty cynical towards the lottery and people who get their hopes up every week just to disappointed. I wouldn't want to win millions of pounds, it would just make my life seem like a bit of a waste. There would be no need for a job, no purpose really, and your not going to get the joy of working your arse off to save up for something and finally having enough to get. I mean a million would be nice, but I would just feel dirty having anything more than 5 million pounds.

So yeah, anyone else feel this way or am I just a weirdo?

Ok I'll add another question because you guys want to talk about it so much. Would you still work if you won the lottery and had financial security for live?
Last edited by Duffman123 at Oct 12, 2011,
It's just you, and your jealousy of lottery winners...

BL
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I'd love to, there would be no end of things you could do with it, you could live a fascinating, fulfilling life
You know, you generally can't just live off the money you win.

You need at least 20mil nowadays to live comfortably for the rest of your life (assuming about 20ish years old) unless you're really careful with it.

Though I would attempt to live off the interest with my day to day costs.
I've heard of the people who become depressed when they win the lottery because they have nothing to do.
Replace 'nothing to do' with 'no imagination' and there's your answer.

I'd love to win the goddamned lottery
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by SG_dave

You need at least 20mil nowadays to live comfortably for the rest of your life (assuming about 20ish years old) unless you're really careful with it.

Though I would attempt to live off the interest with my day to day costs.

Invest a million in a stable stock with a 3% dividend, make bank.
Quote by SG_dave

P Diddy has a UG account?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by captaincrunk
Did you really just say the point of life is the process of acquiring currency?

No, I meant if you had no need for a job you wouldn't really have a purpose in life.
yeah then i could buy the servers and fibre connection for my site im coding..
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I'd use the millions to get more millions and then just do more good all over the world than anyone ever did. That's a sense of accomplishment that shits on "working your ass off to save up for something".
The more you expand, the happier you are (in my case at least).
For sure, lately the lotto has been around 50 million here the last little bit, and well there is no sharing that with the Canadian government. I know across the line the American government screws the lotto winners out of nearly 50% of there winnings which is really gross. But still it's free money and way better then a kick in the balls with a frozen boot.
Quote by Duffman123
No, I meant if you had no need for a job you wouldn't really have a purpose in life.

There's more to life than money...
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
I'm a bit split on it, on the one hand I think it'd be nice because I'd be able to afford things and help out the family etc, but as you say, I think it'd take the drive out of wanting to do anything as there would be little to no point. I'm getting into recording, so buying a proper studio would be great and I'd like to think that even though I don't need the money, I would still want to record, mix and master bands for the love of it.
What I'd probably end up doing is sorting money problems out with the family, maybe get a few things for myself and close people (driving lessons and a nice band van would be cool) and give pretty much all of it away to charity or something... except for maybe a cheeky £1m or £2m
inb4 zoot
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Crazyedd123
There's more to life than money...

Yes I know....you do know a lot of people have a job in something they are passionate about?

There's more to a job than money.
Hell yeah, Id donate a good deal to artificial pancreas research so i could get a new one and be rid of this bloody diabetes..............then blow the rest on cars, guitars, clothes, a swimming pool of dr pepper and a home gym
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by genghisgandhi
Prepare for a crunkstorm (like shit storm but more philosophical and condescending)

GG

Hey, you never spell your name with capitol letters...

WHO IS THIS?!?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by genghisgandhi
When you abbreviate it, it's GG. My haxbros (duff) know what's up.

Big ups.
Wait, who said you can't work once you win the lottery?

If you are so easily influenced by money, then you probably shouldn't be winning the lottery anyway. You not working once you win the lottery is your fault, not the fault of the money. Hell yeah i'd want to win the lottery. I wouldn't spend extravagently though. The key is essentially living as if you've never won the lottery. I'd save most of it, probably buy a few things, give a lot to charity.

But that being said, I never buy lottery tickets or anything. Winning the lottery isn't my goal in life or anything.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Duffman123
Yes I know....you do know a lot of people have a job in something they are passionate about?

The majority work to live though: there aren't many people who enjoy their job, let alone have passion for it. We go to work to make money, to pay the bills and our holidays or social lives; we don't really go because we love it... do be serious.

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Duffman123

and those people could still do their job.

There's no requirement to quit. You were the one who linked not needing to earn money to not working.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Duffman123

The majority of people work to get paid. There's nothing stopping you doing what you love as a hobby, though, unless that's murdering prostitutes.
Quote by Duffman123

I'm not sure if I was clear
If you have financial security then you can pursue your passions unhindered.
Some people's passions are often non-profit, so there's quite a few people whose job is exclusive to their 'passion/hobby'.
Most steam-engine enthusiasts do the work for free.

Imagine what you could do if you could somehow put money into the hobby without fear of becoming bankrupt as a result.

On the flipside, if someone is free to do something then they may becoming disenchanted by their passion. Maybe the reason they love their passions so much is because it gets them away from their job. Without a job, their hobby/passion is moot.

Damn, I just beat myself in an argument
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Lemoninfluence
and those people could still do their job.

There's no requirement to quit. You were the one who linked not needing to earn money to not working.

Fair point. I suppose it could go either way, someone could quit their job and happily live on the lottery money for the rest of their lives (or however long it lasts), or continue with their job even though they don't really need the money.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but most people's opinions that I have heard are that they would happily quit their job after they win the lottery.
Life has no purpose to begin with, so you should have some fun with it. What's more, with monetary concerns out of the way, you can work at something you really want to without worrying about which job makes more money.

Plus, charity.
Quote by genghisgandhi
When you abbreviate it, it's GG. My haxbros (duff) know what's up.

GG

Capiche.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Duffman123

Could always do volunteer work. Make a difference in the world.
Or use the money to get your dream job.

Personally I'd use the money to fund my further education.
Hello university.
I'd go into something arty, and actually get my skills in design.
It's like a secret passion of mine I never really explored
Quote by Duffman123
I'm not trying to start an argument, but most people's opinions that I have heard are that they would happily quit their job after they win the lottery.

And most people would be happy to not be working, and have free time all day to do what they've always wanted to do, like jetskiing or something.

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Well Duffman123, if you ever find your pockets lined a bit too full with legal tender, I'm always here to lighten the load, buddy.

OT: I'd find a part time job just to keep sane.. but I wouldn't be too fussed having more than a few million.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
hellz yeah

id use most of it on a studio getting guitar stufff buying land (lots of land) and making a huge garden

i have many plans which could be odne if only i had th emoney

also id love to be able to study what i want without worrying about money
physics,electricity,improve my carpentry skills
Last edited by supersac at Oct 12, 2011,
Yes, I'd love to win the lottery!

Buy houses, and pay for a MSc and then a PhD. The rest of it, invest/donate. I'd have to work, I couldn't win big then do nothing with my life. I'd be bored within a week!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by BlackLuster
And most people would be happy to not be working, and have free time all day to do what they've always wanted to do, like jetskiing or something.

BL

The point I was getting at was I wouldn't be happy jobless and loaded. Even after all the holidays and life time experiences in the world I'd probably feel empty, and would need a job to stay sane. And even though I could work even after winning the lottery I probably wouldn't have the motivation to do so if since I would be loaded and have no need to work.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Oct 12, 2011,
Page 1 of 3